• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Another goggles question...

Eddie

Booting up
Skier
I am confused about different lens tint. IF it makes a difference, I would be skiing Catskills, NY and lower VT. I read many goggles guide, and threads about bright light, cloudy, sunny, flat light, medium light, on and on and on. Can there be one tint/lens that can be usable, rather than switching lenses. I guess it can be sunny, or cloudy most of the day, and it won't a problem switching the one time. But what about skiing different sides of the mountain, sunny, shade, or in and out of different light conditions. Since there are so many different tints, can this affect your skiing? And I was thinking a about photochromatic, yet read it takes a few minutes for those to adjust.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am currently using some Smith goggles with the Chromapop Everyday lens. I think it is as close to all-purpose as you may find. I have the Bright sun lens and a storm lens as well, but they have had limited usage.

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
I wear Oakley prizms in Jade...I find it works well as an everyday all conditions lens (from flat light to sunny) I run into the situation you describe quite often on Whitehorn at Lake Louise....sunny on the one side and then as you drop over the crest you are in deep shade/flat light. I ski between 30-40 days a year...western conditions...challenging terrain. No time or inclination to stop and change lenses out. Works for me but depends on how sensitive your eyes are as well as the conditions you encounter on the hills you ski most....For me if I were to add a lens to my system... it would be a prizm rose or prizm hipink.....only for the days when it's continously foggy or flat light etc....

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I ski the Poconos and VT where there is a lot of flat light and use a Smith I/OX with Blue Sensor and Ignitor lenses. I just use the Blue Sensor for everything but an absolute bluebird day with the Ignitors. I like to see where I'm going with good contrast. These tints work well for my eyes, but yours may prefer something else with more protection. I believe these models are discontinued, so if I need a replacement I'm going to try their new Chromapop Storm series and the photochromatic. I would recommend going to your home mountain if there is a base area shop and try a few going outside or looking out the window on a typical day. That's what I plan to do at the end of the season when things are on sale...

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have Smith IOX and a variety of lenses......for flat light and sunny days.

It seems here in NEPA, Catskills and VT...my Smith Blue Sensor gets used the most. It works great, so I keep grabbing for it.

I plan on buying the new Smith yellow
because I have heard great things about it.....and have “my” eyes do a comparison with my old trusty blues.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
The RC36 is 36% VLT, which is too dark for my old eyes on early winter afternoons. When I was younger they would have been fine. YMMV.

I ski the Poconos and VT where there is a lot of flat light and use a Smith I/OX with Blue Sensor and Ignitor lenses. I just use the Blue Sensor for everything but an absolute bluebird day with the Ignitors. I like to see where I'm going with good contrast.

That's exactly what I was doing, but I switched to Chromopop yellow (65% VLT) this year. That's a little better than Blue sensor (60%), but you will want to switch to a darker lens a little more often. I use sunglasses on really bright days in the West.

Probably no one should listen to me about this because I have old eyes and I definitely want lighter lenses than my younger friends.

dm

Last edited:

kingsalami

Booting up
Skier
I like Smith's Ignitor for an everyday 'not sure what the weather will do' lens. Their Sensor lenses (Red, Blue, Yellow) are better for flat light.
I'm too cheap to throw $100+ at goggles, so I usually pick up a pair or two at the end of the season when they're half price. FWIW - I don't swap lenses; I check the weather and usually pack a goggle/lens tint that's suited to the prevailing conditions.
For the $, I think it's hard to beat the Smith Vice...in the frame color and lens tint of your choice.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online