• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There are way more cars than bikes. Just relative numbers.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like the cyclist can get it done all by themselves.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/08/26/cyclist-pedestrian-collision-central-park/

People have to accept responsibility for their own actions.
not-a-bicycle.jpg

1. Yeah, that wasn't a bicycle in the initial crash.

2. What goes on in NYC is very different than what most of us experience.

James

Out There
Instructor
The dodo bird died out.

Cycling is going to get bigger and bigger in US cities. Whether grumpy people want it to or not.

It's the car that should die out in cities. In NYC alone drivers killed over 120 non-car drivers last year. Cyclists killed 2.
What do you mean by “NYC”? It’s more than Manhattan, the northern part of which has some significant hills.
Brooklyn alone has a population about 2.7 million, Queens 2.4 million. Combined both are over 200 sq miles. And we’ve still got the Bronx and the Rock, Staten Island. Those are about half the size of B&Q, which I would not have guessed before looking it up.

Before Michael Dukakis was riding n a tank there was Mayor Ed Koch on a bike:
6F086C3F-09DE-4495-A76E-494642A2AD2A.jpeg

Ed Koch rides at the grand opening of the Midtown protected bike lanes in October, 1980. Less than a month later he had them ripped out.
https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2013/02...eper-look-at-ed-kochs-livable-streets-legacy/

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Getting bent out of shape about 17 vs 15 mph seems a little over the top. If the MUP is crowded, 15 can be too fast. If not, it's too slow. Riding straight, consistent, and predicably is IMHO for more important than 15 vs 18.... but drafting on MUPS at 20+, or being on aero bars is pretty-not-very-good-practice-downright-silly. In cars, let's be honest. How many of us habitually drive speed limit + 5 on most roads, and +10 on the highway? Anyhow....

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Getting bent out of shape about 17 vs 15 mph seems a little over the top. .
And, that spot where he is using his gun...that is just after a descent. It goes back up just before that spot, but is more descent than ascent. Great reporting dude!

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
.. but the guys in the third vid in Richmond BC are being a$$hats. I've ridden that road many times. Easy to ride two abreast, shoulder to shoulder and give room for people to pass.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Lets be clear, I am a driver, a cyclist and a pedestrian.

The primary issue I see is as follows:

It slowest moving/most venerable object takes the least care in ensuring its own safety.

Pedestrians tend to assume bikes and cars will stop for them so they don’t look.

Cyclists tend to assume they are ok and cars can avoid them (its the law don’t you know) and pedestrians get in the way constantly because they’re to busy on their phones.

Drivers, well have to watch in all directions and are responsible for everyone errors.

I was taught a simple safety rule, if its bigger it wins even if you’re right, so don’t get in its way. Translation!

Pedestrians watch before you step, you lose in all encounters.

Cyclist respect pedestrians and cars! Don’t assume you are seen, remember 200lbs vs 4000lbs you lose.

Drivers respect all, drive to allow those behind you a chance to react, assume those ahead didn’t see you, make eye contact with all.

Its not speed that causes the issue but assumption the other will take responsibility to avoid the issue. Stop being a me generation, be a we generation so that we all watch and care for each other. The only this speed does is make it happen faster (good or bad).

BTW this applies skiing as well.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Cyclists tend to assume they are ok and cars can avoid them (its the law don’t you know) and pedestrians get in the way constantly because they’re to busy on their phones.

Yeah.... no. Not in any experience cycling I've had. There's no getting over the basic physics of car/cyclist collisions even if you're 'right'. I've never met a cyclist who would assume otherwise.

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
From Merriam-Webster:
A$$hat noun
\ 'as-hat \
Any person who paints and individual, who is also a member of a group, as though all members of that group are alike.

Examples of a$$hat in a Sentence
// She was pissed at the gang of a$$hat cyclists were blocking the whole lane and were making her late to her spin class so she now hates all cyclists and doesn't give any focks if any of them get hit, maimed, killed.

This is when we get to a real problem.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah.... no. Not in any experience cycling I've had. There's no getting over the basic physics of car/cyclist collisions even if you're 'right'. I've never met a cyclist who would assume otherwise.
It was a bit of sarcasm directed at all three to highlight the issues, not just at one.

To change your view a little, drive in Toronto you’ll be surprised how many (cyclists) act like they don’t grasp that concept. And yes to be fair there are bad drivers too.

Last edited:

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
In that Mill Valley video, I feel like I'd have to go for a high score.

I don't know how they expect people without speedometers to obey a speed limit.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January