• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

anecdotal weather predictions

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Since anecdotal winter weather predictions seem to trigger some folks here I thought we should have a whole thread of them. What are your go-to based on no scientific facts weather prediction factors for your mountain? For me, when we have a very active monsoon season we always seem to have an active winter. Also, if we have early snows in October it usually leads to a slow overall start to the season. These two are big for me and seem to line up with what I see on the mountain over the years.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
The usual in recent years it seems is Killington will open up in mid October for a few days with summit to mid mountain coverage for a week or two. Then the warm patch hits and they'll close for a few days. Back upon in early November with top to bottom coverage.

This has happened for the past 2-3 years, maybe longer. We always get teased in October with a cool/cold patch and then it warms back up and cools back down in November. Lately we've had a slower start to winter as far as snow goes with a early season puking snow day in Mid December then no powder for a while. Then a frigid patch mid winter and then late season storms in March which seem to extend the season for many places. I think this is the new norm.

This past winter we didn't really have any spring ski days and we were skiing from the summit of Killlington with it snowing on April 30th. Definitely wackier weather these days but there's an overall pattern.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've had a season pass for many, many seasons. We got my wife her first season pass ever this year. Therefore, it will not snow. Because science.

Other than that, it seems if we have a couple of days of cooler/wet weather in late August or early September it bodes well. I have zero evidence to back this up but it makes me feel better about things.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Last summer 1.2 million acres of MT burnt a record, last winter SW MT had record snow. This fire season has been less intense so far, average snowfall? Get the Ptex candles ready.

Monster

Monstrous for some time now. . .
Skier
Here in northern New England, the faithful simply f**king pray. . . There's nothing else to be done :doh:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I usually take an autumn weekend up in Hokkaido, see the foliage, enjoy cool afternoons with little humidity, drop in at a few ski shops and talk to the old-timers.
Those guys know their local weather patterns and can tell you good/bad/normal overall for the coming season.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I predict Mammoth will have a start like in '04, a middle like in '17, and a finish like in '95. Year round lift served for 18/19/20.
I like the way you think.
:yeah:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ok so you bred Mr Ed with Sophie (Colonel Potters horse from M*A*S*H) ... or do we need to arrange a session with @David Chaus? :)
e302d10ac17a3d3727a9d1b02a1e44dd_0.jpg

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Been watching the evening news and seeing some interesting ocean temps ... could we be in for El Nino Modoki???

For now, this random youtube dude thinks so -

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
As long as I don’t buy new skis, we should be fine in SoCal. I’ wondering if it is safe to risk goggles? I know, I will buy a spring ensemble and bright light goggles! ... and... if the heater breaks in my car, I pledge not to fix it!

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Damn, them's some big dogs! :P

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Been watching the evening news and seeing some interesting ocean temps ... could we be in for El Nino Modoki???

For now, this random youtube dude thinks so -
Tahoe skunked again :(