• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review Andy's 2020 Reviews From an Intermediate View

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Armada Tracer 98
Dimensions: 133-98-124
Radius: 18.5m@188cm
Sizes: 164, 172, 180, 188
Size tested: 188
Design: New Construction

When I tested the 18-19 Tracer 98 last year at Mammoth, it was a bluebird day with wonderful groomers. I loved the ski. This year’s conditions weren’t so great. There was a lot of heavy, chopped-up powder, and visibility was marginal. That didn’t stop the Tracer, however. It felt stable and composed, though it did tend to sink at the lower speeds at which I was traveling. (Put a 225-lb guy on a ski like this and that’ll happen!) As soon as I found some groomers, it became obvious the 98 still has carving chops. It is a confidence-inspiring ski.

The main difference between the 18-19 and 19-20 models is the change in Armada’s dampening technology. Last year it used Crystal Mesh to control vibrations, which worked quite well, but Armada changed to Adaptive Mesh, a variable-angle mesh weave, for 19-20. Instead of remaining a constant size throughout the ski, the new mesh tightens as it goes from tip to under foot, then opens up again. It works quite well and provides a smooth, stable ride. Paired with a revised core construction, the 19-20 version is 12% lighter than the 18-19 ski.
  • Who is it for? A stronger, lighter skier who likes to spend a lot of time off piste but needs to get back to the lift sometime. A heavier skier looking for an easy, all-conditions ski.
  • Who is it not for? A heavier skier looking for a powder ski.
  • Insider tip: For the bigger skier looking to spend more time off piste, see the Tracer 108.

Armada Tracer 108
Dimensions: 135-108-126.5
Radius: 20m@188cm

My quick notes for this ski say, "YES! YES! YES!" Where the Tracer 98s tended to sink a bit in the choppy powder at Mammoth, these had enough additional width to keep me on or near the top. They are very easy to turn in heavier powder like we encountered that day. I felt these stepped my meager powder experience up several notches. In the piles they didn’t feel hooky as they either went over, through, or around -- skier’s choice.

As with the Tracer 98, the Adaptive Mesh technology provides a smooth ride all over the hill. On the skier-packed groomers going back to the lift, these skis had no problem going edge to edge and holding a carve. The ski is easy to control, and choosing the turn shape is effortless. I still wouldn’t consider a 108 ski as a daily driver, but this one comes awfully close to making me think about it.
  • Who is it for? Bigger or stronger skiers looking for a 70-30 off-piste ski.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who lives on the groomers or just off the edge.
  • Insider tip: Don’t let the width deter you from cutting up some corduroy.

Atomic Bent Chetler 100
Dimensions: 129.5-100-120
Radius: 19.5m@180cm

Atomic describes the Bent Chetler 100 as “an all-mountain ski with a hunger for fresh snow and untracked territory.” With its powder rocker, it did ski well in the foot of fresh, heavier powder we encountered on test day, making turn transitions light and fun. I felt some deflection in the chop, and as speed picked up it was not as stable on groomers as some other skis in the high 90s/low 100s realm. Carving was also not as confidence-inspiring as some other skis. All that said, the Bent Chetler 100 is purpose-built to go off piste in deeper conditions, and for that purpose, it performed well.
  • Who is it for? The lighter big mountain/powder seeker.
  • Who is it not for? Groomer zoomers who only occasionally run through powder.
  • Insider tip: If you’re looking for a narrow powder-day board, this may be the one.

Atomic Redster X9s
Dimensions: 114-65.5-99.5
Radius: 15.4m@175cm
Sizes: 169, 175, 181
Size tested: 175
Design: NGT

OK, the Atomic Redster series has gained a reputation for being a fine lineup of frontside, groomer shredders. There’s a reasons for that: they are! This is, in one word, a FUN ski. I like groomers. I like making railroad tracks. This ski is made for that kind of skiing. It’s fast, very fast, from edge to edge. It is stable and smooth. All that but it is somewhat forgiving; it’s not a full-blown race ski. It would make a great daily driver for the East Coast skier.

But what else can it do? It actually handled soft bumps quite well and held its own in boot-deep powder. I don’t think I’d pick it as a single-ski quiver for the West where this year we have had prodigious pow, but I wouldn’t worry if I was carving groomers and we got a few inches of fresh.
  • Who is it for? If you love groomers and making turns of different shapes, meet your mate.
  • Who is it not for? The one-ski quiver skier. Just don’t.
  • Insider tip: Don’t let the Redster moniker scare you away. If you’re an advancing intermediate to expert, this ski won’t let you down.

Atomic X9 WB
Dimensions: 125.5-75-109.5
Radius: 13.5m@168cm
Sizes: 153, 160, 168, 176
Size tested: 168
Design: All New

Do you need just a little more width from your carving ski? That’s what the “WB” stands for: X9 Wide Body. With a few more millimeters under foot and throughout the ski, you get more versatility but lose very little in the way of carving capability. I skied this one in a 168 and had an absolute blast making short radius turns. I would, however, chose the next length up if I were to use this as a daily driver. The 168 was a little nervous at speed with 225 lb on it. At 13.5 m, you can make a lot of turns in a short distance.

If you do like a shorter ski for running bumps, this one may be your ticket. It was an absolute blast in tighter, soft bumps. Light and quick, it inspires confidence that not a lot of skis can. With a little more length for my size it would also handle some shallow powder on groomers with ease.
  • Who is it for? The resort groomer skier who likes to step into the bumps and onto the edges on occasion.
  • Who is it not for? The full-on racer or someone who spends more than 10% of their time in deeper snow.
  • Insider tip: This skis full length. Don’t cheat yourself on stability by going too short; it’ll still turn on a dime.

Atomic Vantage 82Ti
Dimensions: 123.5-82-110
Radius: 18.4m@181cm
Sizes: 159, 167, 174, 181
Size tested: 181

Atomic expands it popular Vantage series for 19-20 with the addition of the 82Ti. In a field that seems to be getting more crowded between full carving skis and more all-mountain-oriented choices, the Vantage 82Ti fits squarely in the latter. With more rise than a traditional carving ski and a tapered tip to reduce hangups in bumps, the Vantage 82Ti is well suited for most all conditions one would expect to find on the front side of the mountain.

Even with the rise in the tip, the Vantage offers tenacious grip on groomers. The flat tail holds on to the carving turns on groomers. Turns initiate easily and the the tapered tail allows for in-flight changes of turn shape. The tail taper also allows easy maneuvering in the bumps.
  • Who is it for? Skiers who like to play all the way across the front side of the hill will enjoy this ski.
  • Who is it not for? Carving-only types need not apply. Though it does carve nicely, you’ll be happier on a dedicated carver like the X9s.
  • Insider tip: Even with the slight rise, it skis pretty close to length; don’t go too long.

Blizzard Rustler 11
Dimensions: 142-112-132
Radius: 17.5m@180cm, 23m@192cm
Sizes: 164, 172, 180,188, 192
Size tested: 192
Design: Carryover

This is a big, strong ski and it requests a pilot who has the chops to drive it. I don’t think I was able to get it up to speed in enough snow to appreciate its width and capabilities. It definitely floats in powder but needs more pitch and speed to turn easily. I probably would have been more comfortable on the next length, or even two, down. It is a big mountain powder ski and makes no excuses for it. On the groomers it holds a turn quite well but, at 116 underfoot in the 192 length, it isn’t terribly easy to get back and forth from edge to edge.
  • Who is it for? Strong skiers who enjoy a powerful big mountain ski that requires attention.
  • Who is it not for? Lighter, less adept skiers. Intermediate skiers can definitely ski it but there may be better choices.
  • Insider tip: If you’re a Blizzard fan boy or girl, try the Rustler 9 or 10 if the 11 is a bit too much.

Dynastar Speedzone 4x4 82 Pro
Dimensions: 130-82-110
Radius: 16m@179cm
Sizes: 164, 171, 179, 185
Size tested: 179

I think I know why this is called the 4x4. There is so much camber you could slide a 4x4 between the skis! Okay, that may be an exaggeration, but there truly is a lot of camber on these skis. What does that mean for you? You have to drive the ski. It doesn’t take well to smeary turns or half-hearted attempts to slide around. It holds an edge like a pit bull holds a steak. And when it lets go, it pops. There is a lot energy stored in all that camber. Both skis need to be pressured in the turn or the inside ski will catch and bounce until the whole ski is pressed to the snow. This is ski that demands you pay attention to what’s going on.

The 4x4 is excellent on the groomers and has plenty of spine to blow through piles but don’t confuse it with a bump or powder ski. It has a bit of early rise and can handle some bumps but it wouldn’t be my first choice as high-use bump ski. Like any ski it can be pressed into that service but that’s not its job. It is made to trench hard pack, and it does that very well.
  • Who is it for? Strong skiers who like digging up hard pack.
  • Who is it not for? Those who are still experimenting with different styles of turns; this ski likes only one type.
  • Insider tip: Keep even pressure on both skis to avoid inside ski deflection.

Elan Wingman 86 CTi
Dimensions: 130-86-115
Radius: 16.5m@178cm
Sizes: 160, 166, 172, 178, 184
Size tested: 178

Elan carries its Amphibio technology (camber on the inside edges of the tip and tail, rocker under the outside edges of tip and tail) into its Wingman series of skis. The outside ski initiates turns easily and the inside ski follows along without hooking or otherwise trying to take over. On steeper, firmer snow I found myself wanting a little more input from the inside ski. The Wingman CTi behaved itself well in bumps and, while narrow, still managed to work shallow powder without any unwanted excitement. The carbon rods add a bit more pop and liveliness to the CTi than the Ti.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for an easy, all-around resort ski.
  • Who is it not for? The skier who wants both skis to behave similarly in a turn.
  • Insider tip: These are dedicated left/right skis. If you flop ‘em down and click in without looking your rides won’t be consistent.

Elan Wingman 86 Ti
Dimensions: 130-86-115
Radius: 16.5m@178cm
Sizes: 160, 166, 172, 178, 184
Size tested: 178

The Wingman TI is a softer-flexing version of the Wingman CTI. That’s not a bad thing at all as long as the skier’s and the ski’s capabilities match. A lighter, technical skier may find a good fit here. On steeper, firmer snow, I found myself wanting a little more input from the inside ski. In all conditions I felt I was overpowering or too heavy for the Ti version of the Wingman. It was difficult to keep the tip hooked up on higher edge angles.
  • Who is it for? Lighter, less demanding skiers who stay on the groomer and small bump side of the mountain.
  • Who is it not for? Heavier or stronger skiers will overpower this ski without much effort.
  • Insider tip: These are dedicated left/right skis. If you flop ‘em down and click in without looking, your rides won’t be consistent.

Head Kore 105
Dimensions: 138-107-127
Radius: 19.6m@189cm
Sizes: 171, 180, 189
Size tested: 189

Head continues to gain fans with its popular Kore collection, and I got sucked in, too! On the last run of the day in chopped-up powder conditions with poor visibility, I felt instantly at home on this ski. It is light, damp, and surfy. Quick turns were easy without any deflection in the heavier chop. Down the hill where the chop turned to mostly skier packed, they edged well, again with no deflection over small imperfections that can give other skis fits. These are not slalom skis, though they can be pushed into relatively short turns rather easily.

Many lighter skis give a buzzy, on-off feel but the Kore felt smooth and progressive. I didn’t have any bump opportunities with the Kores, but the light weight and shape would lead me to believe that soft bumps should present little problem. Head scales the size of the ski to the length, so the three lengths have their own dimensions.
  • Who is it for? The resort skier who likes spending time off piste or in the powder but needs a ski that will perform well on the way back to the lift.
  • Who is it not for? Skiers who like to stay on the groomed will not enjoy this ski as much as it should be enjoyed.
  • Insider tip: Smaller skiers may find the 105’s width a bit much. Check out the Kore 93 or 99 if a light, easy-skiing all-mountain ski is in your future. For those who seek out deeper powder, Head has you covered with the Kore 117.

K2 Mindbender 99Ti
Dimensions: 138-99-123
Radius: 18.5m@184cm
Sizes: 177, 184
Size tested: 184

Talk about a shot across the bow: K2 is back! The entire Mindbender series is receiving rave reviews, and it should. Don’t confuse the MB lineup with any other ski in past K2 lineups. It’s all new, from the Y-beam torsion construction (most models) to the shape itself. The MB 99TI is a ski that will eat up pretty much any terrain you can throw at it. It feels narrower than it is as its shape pulls it into turns in crud, groomers, or powder. It is quick in the soft bumps we encountered, making them easy to ski. This is not a ski that you ride; you have to be part of the process. It wants input and takes it well.

While the 99 is not a powder ski per se, it does do well in lighter stuff that isn’t too deep. On soft groomers it will dig deep if pushed hard. Trenches are fun. Trenches that become tunnels are not so fun. This is a serious ski that will put up with some miscalculations but it can spank you if you’re not paying attention.
  • Who is it for? The all mountain skier who wants to work the skis in all conditions.
  • Who is it not for? Skiers who prefer a more relaxed ride should try it but be prepared to look elsewhere.
  • Insider tip: The Y-Beam construction is available in the mid-range of the collection, both men’s and women’s. The widest and narrowest have a slightly different construction. Both the MB series and MB Alliance series for women have six widths to cover your needs.

K2 Mindbender 108Ti
Dimensions: 136-108-125
Radius: 22.9m@186cm
Sizes: 179, 186
Size tested: 186

Where the Mindbender 99Ti leaves off, the MB 108Ti picks up. With very similar characteristics to the 99Ti as far as the pilot being involved, the 108TI takes you easily into deeper powder and heavier chop. The few millimeters in width and a couple of centimeters in length make a noticeable difference in powder, both fresh and cut up. The 108Ti still wants your input in deeper snow but has the chops to float and make it easy and smooth. It doesn’t really slide through powder as much as it turns. Pushing the tails can be done but it is happier using the edge and sidecut.

For as good as the 108Ti is in powder and chop, it still behaves quite well on groomers and slightly cut up surfaces. As in powder, it wants to be turned on its edge more than slarved around. It can be done but just use the edge. You’ll both be happier.
  • Who is it for? The all-mountain skier looking for a deeper snow biased ski and who likes to work the ski.
  • Who is it not for? Skiers who like to tail push or surf will find other options better suited to that style.
  • Insider tip: Be one with the ski. You have to tell this ski what you want it to do and it will do it.

Kästle FX96 HP
Dimensions: 133-96-119
Radius: 18.1m@188cm
Sizes: 172, 180, 188
Size tested: 180
Design: All new

This ski definitely has the Kästle feel I’ve heard about. The Hollowtech 3.0 tip and carbon-fiberglass wrap help the ski feel silky smooth over lumps, bumps, and other imperfections in the snow. Powder float was good for a 96 under foot ski and it held an impressive edge on the groomers. Moguls presented no problem to the FX as the early rise in tip and tail work together to get in and out easily. The “no hook” shovel and tail are very forgiving in the bumps and chop.

As a premium level ski, the FX96HP brings not only excellent skiing characteristics to the table but also a beautiful fit and finish.
  • Who is it for? If you’re looking for a premium all-mountain mid-90s ski, this should be on your very short list.
  • Who is it not for? If you still have kids at home or in college you may have a hard decision to make.
  • Insider tip: Even if you aren’t in the market for a premium ski, you owe it to yourself to demo one.

Kästle MX89
Dimensions: 129-89-113
Radius: 18m@180cm
Sizes: 156, 164, 172, 180,188
Size tested: 180

As with the FX96 HP, the smooth, silky ride that has made Kästle famous is apparent in the in the MX89. More geared to front side operations, the MX89 still has all mountain capabilities. The traditional tip rise and camber lend themselves to quick turn initiation in a ski that skis true to length. Kästle’s Fast Grip shovel and tail also play a part in how quickly the ski enters, and exits, the turn. This is not a ski that likes to be skidded around. At first I thought the tune was off as the ski felt somewhat railed but, in hindsight, I believe it was the shape that wants to be edged or flat for best performance.

When the MX89 is laid up on edge it happens quickly and with purpose. I didn’t feel like I ever came close to how angled the ski could be. All this edging comes at a cost and the MX didn’t feel as easy in bumps and chop as some other skis in the upper 80s range. That isn’t to say it didn’t work at all, just not as fluid as others. The performance is in there, it just needs to be drawn out by a driver who has the skills to do it. I’m working on it!
  • Who is it for? The skilled operator who wants high-end equipment to match their skills.
  • Who is it not for? Those who are still working their way up the rungs to advanced/expert level.
  • Insider tip: Skis true to length. Don’t over- or under-do it.

Liberty Evolv 90
Dimensions: 132-90-114
Radius: 18.5m@179cm
Sizes: 165, 172, 179, 186

The new Liberty Evolv series may best be described as a mashup between the excellent groomer V-Series and the more all-mountain-biased Origins. It pulls the Vertical Metal Technology (VMT) from the V skis and the early rise tip profile from the Origin line. Together, I found this ski retains the carving chops from the V Series but with a more broad-based terrain capability.

At 90 underfoot, the Evolv performed really well in edge powder, bumps, chop, and groomers. By the same token, this is not a deep powder performer and gets washy and grabby in deeper or heavier snow. It is very stable and damp at speeds that I consider sane, a product of the excellent technology instilled by Liberty.
  • Who is it for? The advancing intermediate or easy skiing expert looking for a true do-all (minus deep powder) frontside ski.
  • Who is it not for? The big guy who gets into the deep stuff.
  • Insider tip: Try it one size longer than you think you need.

Liberty Evolv 100
Dimensions: 139-100-122
Radius: 19m@179cm
Sizes: 172, 179, 186

This one really caught my attention. With the same build as the Evolv 90 plus 10 mm, the Evolv 100 is a ski that may appeal to a broader audience. While it loses a little (very little) in the groomer department to the 90, it more than makes up for it in the powder/chop department. It was nimble both in deeper snow and on soft bumps with a good dose of damp added in the mix. The 100 still has enough shape and stiffness to carve quite well on the groomers that get you back to the lift.

A few other things about this ski, and other Liberty products, are the durable top sheet and the excellent out-of-the-box bases. Very high quality work shows on these skis.
  • Who is it for? This might be the one-ski quiver for the Western skier who stays mostly around lift-served areas.
  • Who is it not for? The big mountain, deep powder junkie.
  • Insider tip: If you like to tip and rip but still want a Liberty ski, check out the V-Series.

Line Vision 98
Dimensions: 131-98-119
Radius: 18m@179cm
Sizes: 172, 179, 186

This was another “I had no idea” ski. I am not very familiar with Line, so when I got the opportunity to give the Vision a spin, I literally jumped on it. What a fun ski! It is so easy to ski—everywhere. I floats well in powder for its width. It handles the bumps with ease. It meanders through chopped-up leftovers like it’s taking a walk in the park. The only place it was lacking was on full groomers. Don’t get me wrong, it carves well, just not in the same league as some other upper-90s skis. On the other hand, they don’t necessarily handle other conditions as well as the Vision. The Vision allows smearing, carving, slarving, and a general playfulness that I appreciated as we came to the end of the testing day.
  • Who is it for? The all-around skier looking for a fun, easygoing ski that has the chops to handle most any condition.
  • Who is it not for? If you like to drive your ski, this one is not going to be in your wheelhouse.
  • Insider tip: Do you want to ski all day and not be worn out because your ski makes you work too hard? Check out the Vision 98.

Stöckli Laser AR

Dimensions: 130-83-112
Radius: 16.5m@175cm
Sizes: 154, 161, 168, 175, 182
Size tested: 175

The Stöckli Laser AR is another premium ski in the hierarchy of the ski world. As with the Kästles, the AR is ridiculously smooth and silky. But there is more to a ski than silk, and the AR has it. It handled really well in the heavier chopped-up, late-day junk, and in bumps, too. Dubbed by Stöckli as an all-mountain racing ski, the AR sports a wider shovel than its AX brethren. The “racing ski” part is particularly noticeable as the ski flowed effortlessly in turns across the groomers. The ski isn't super in powder, but the wider shovel does provide respectable float and allowed me to negotiate what was left of the overnight powder without concern.
  • Who is it for? Skiers who live 80% on groomers but demand a competent ski when stepping off to the side.
  • Who is it not for? If you’re low on cash, a lot of skis will perform at 80 to 90% of the AR at a lower price. (You will miss that 10 to 20% of sweetness, though.)
  • Insider tip: Use the race heritage to your advantage on the groomers. Have fun!

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bump because someone asked about Andy's reviews.

greg olson

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Andy, your review of the line vision sounds a lot like the reviews I've read for the rossi sky 7. Have you skied the sky 7? If so, how do they compare?

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Andy, your review of the line vision sounds a lot like the reviews I've read for the rossi sky 7. Have you skied the sky 7? If so, how do they compare?
I have not been on the Sky 7. Sorry I can't give you a solid answer. @Philpug, do you have any experience with the Sky 7 and Line Vision?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Completely different animals. I would say the Vision is more like the Rossi Black Ops 98 than the Sky/Sin 7.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Sponsor

Staff online