• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Most likely fired, hard to believe he would leave before a liquidity event.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I will see him over the next few days at the U.S. Ski & Snowboard Hall of Fame ceremonies. Should be an interesting chat.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
It might be that Andy got a nice "payday" with Alterra launching. Similar in spirit to a change in control deal when a company is acquired by another. Andy's job, as the GM of Squaw/Alpine may be just looking different down the road. More oversight. Bosses. In terms of a liquidity event, he may have gotten his money when this operation folded into Alterra, and the ownership changed. I'm just guessing that. Don't know when that happened, or if it has yet. But it's logical that he'd get a payday.

He also might be ready for a personal change. He's well thought of. These last five plus years may have taken their toll and not been a hell of a lot of fun. I don't see him as being "retired" for too long. Maybe he'll be a consultant. Maybe after some big money changes hands he'll join some type of competitor.

I wouldn't read too much into it. If I were betting, a lot of things fell into place and one of the downsides was that he went from running every single piece of his own show to actually about to have a couple more bosses. And being part of a bigger consolidated company.

Best of luck to him. Interested to see what's next, eventually.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Can't imagine that being a great news for Squaw. Squaw-Alpine merger is his legacy, so it's hard to imagine him leaving his post voluntarily before the gondola is built. Would be interesting to hear his version...

Uncertain times ahead.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Yeah I thought that maybe the Alterra deal triggered a bunch of clauses in his remuneration but also it seems a bit puzzling that Alterra wouldn't want to lock in some of their top guys while the new model is established......unless of course the new model involves e.g. Aspen sweeping away leadership at other mountains.

Of course the other rational explanation is that he'd hit a big enough payday and genuinely wants to walk away. Can't imagine it's all rosy with half a town/community that hates you because of what you represent regardless of how much of a decent guy you are in the day to day.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I wouldn't read too much into it. If I were betting, a lot of things fell into place...
I'm with you. We'll talk to him this week.