• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
It's messy, but interesting.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
It;s a nice little family ski area. My wife and I spent a week there back a little over 10 years ago and it worked out extremely well for us since my wife is not an avid skier. I hope it works out for them.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I skied at Granby Ranch for about four years until the 20-21 season was approaching. The ownership situation was so iffy last summer that they didn't announce they were opening until the fall, so I opted for a Monarch pass for this year. I will be watching the situation closely. I like skiing there and hope they get things together enough for operational stability. The pass prices they announced for next season were $329 for a senior pass, and the last one I bought for the 19-20 season was only $249. This was before the announcement about the new management, so I'm curious to see what happens next.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Andy Wirth isn't doing as much with Granby as before, he is workling with Crosson more. His son is more involved now.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
An update on Granby Ranch.

"On Wednesday, April 21, GR Terra and its affiliates entered into an agreement to buy the ski and golf resort along with the associated residential development around it."

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
I'm considering buying condo, lot, or tiny home in Granby, Fairplay or Leadville for 2nd home. Closer to Summit and Cooper (Masters racing :) ) than the 8 hour drive from current Texas panhandle home. Totally involved with increasing value real estate search. I'll visit Granby in a week or two keeping in mind devastation from those tree beating beetles. Hey Jude, I wanna hold your hand because here comes the sun yesterday and don't let me down.

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
I'm considering buying condo, lot, or tiny home in Granby, Fairplay or Leadville for 2nd home. Closer to Summit and Cooper (Masters racing :) ) than the 8 hour drive from current Texas panhandle home. Totally involved with increasing value real estate search. I'll visit Granby in a week or two keeping in mind devastation from those tree beating beetles. Hey Jude, I wanna hold your hand because here comes the sun yesterday and don't let me down.

Property values here in Granby have sky rocketed in the last year (I'm sure most Summit Country and CO ski resort areas are doing well). We bought a house just over a year ago and have seen a good jump in the value of our place. A property we had looked at in Granby (Innsbruck area, close to Granby Ranch) back in October 2019 was on the market for $580,000 and then it was put back on the market about 2 weeks ago at $799,000. It's now under contract...... not a bad turnaround!

We've loved our move to Granby, so glad we did. If we hadn't of done it when we did (6th April 2020), I doubt we could have afforded to do it now (well, buy a standalone family house that is). You can get a nice condo at a reasonable price, but watch out for buying within the lands of the Granby Ranch ski area; their HOA is crazy. We liked the HOA amount of the Innsbruck area a lot better and we only have a 4 minute drive to the Ranch and then Winter Park is only 25 mins (plus Copper, Steamboat, Keystone, A-Basin and Loveland are all very accessible too).

Last edited:

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
An update on Granby Ranch.

"On Wednesday, April 21, GR Terra and its affiliates entered into an agreement to buy the ski and golf resort along with the associated residential development around it."

The deal hasn't been finalized yet, but hopefully it will go through in the next couple of weeks. Ridgeline (Jace/Andy Wirth) will continue to manage the resort for the foreseeable future. The resort did really well this winter, revenue was up in nearly all departments and hopefully the resort will continue to move in the right direction.

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Andy Wirth isn't doing as much with Granby as before, he is workling with Crosson more. His son is more involved now.

I only saw Andy once before the start of the season at our initial management meeting. Jace was very visible, saw him most days. I think Andy was doing more work with the sale of the property, behind the scenes.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
It's messy, but interesting.

Hopefully Granby Ranch will not join this list: http://www.coloradoskihistory.com/lostresorts.html

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I'd be surprised if they did (and hopefully not)! I think GR is going to be turned around, in a good way.....

I think so too. Its close enough to Denver and different enough from the other resorts to be successful. Most other resorts have become so large and busy that they are no longer family friendly for families with small children. GR could be a place for them. The way its organized (legally) looks messy though.

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
I think so too. Its close enough to Denver and different enough from the other resorts to be successful. Most other resorts have become so large and busy that they are no longer family friendly for families with small children. GR could be a place for them. The way its organized (legally) looks messy though.

I agree Ken, GR offers an escape from the mega resorts and associated passes. People enjoyed not having to make a reservation this season to ski and I think there was only like 2 days over the Xmas holidays when we maxed out our capacity and had to turn people away (likely when WP was full and we had overflow from there). GR has always had a reputation as a family and beginner ski area, but there is more to it than that. Whilst the runs are short, they are quiet and we do have some steeps. One of my focuses there this season was to look for ways to try and entice more experienced skiers. We have a lot of underutilzed terrain and potential experiences for those skiers. We did launch some special programs for experienced skiers (refining carving camps for intermediate/advanced/expert skiers - GR has great terrain for working on carving) and they went really well. If we had had more snow earlier in the season, then we had planned on building a host of mogul runs for all levels for a series of mogul improvement camps. That would have been awesome. That's one for 2021/22 now. Hopefully we can expand on our special programs next season and have experiences for all ages and levels at GR.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hope the camps etc. work out for next year. The mogul camp sounds like a winner.

We have a place in Fraser and ski WP frequently, but my guess is that GR would be more fun on a powder day than fighting the front range crowds at the big hill.

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Hope the camps etc. work out for next year. The mogul camp sounds like a winner.

We have a place in Fraser and ski WP frequently, but my guess is that GR would be more fun on a powder day than fighting the front range crowds at the big hill.

Cheers Jerez, I appreciate that. The mogul camps/mogul terrain we were going to build would have been pretty special and unique. Wish he'd had more snow earlier...... There's definitely not as much competition for fresh tracks at GR, but obviously it's a smaller mountain with a lot less vert than WP. West Mountain didn't get tracked up too quickly and it's got some nice runs on a powder day. There's never a line there.....

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
It looks like they've stopped selling season passes until summer. Maybe to try to work out deals with other resorts? Or restructuring pricing?

Sponsor

Staff online