• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

analyzing high energy powder turn

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I’d be interested in hearing your analysis of Marcus’ turns here. MA. Turn shape. For this turn, why this or why that. What options are there. What options are precluded.

Me, I see the skis contact snow when tips are pointed downhill. I don’t think I see COM, at the top of the turn, downhill of the skis. I certainly don’t see ankles initiating the turn. To me, it’s almost like a leaper, but not to an edge uphill of COM

Thank you to Marcus Caston.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
He's having a lot of fun playing in the 3D snow in all dimensions. He's in control and balanced. He's using the steepness and the snow to bring his skis out for setting up the next turn. It doesn't have to be that way, but that way is lots of fun.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
wow that is some shitty skill for a youtube presenter .

I think it looks that way because he is deliberately exaggerating the motions for demo purposes. I agree that these jump turns probably don't need that much jumping because the snow surface looks smooth enough to be able to turn without that exaggerated motion.

The jump turn video guy also seems to land a bit stiff-legged. Too much impact and energy waste for my tastes...

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive

He's having a lot of fun playing in the 3D snow in all dimensions. He's in control and balanced. He's using the steepness and the snow to bring his skis out for setting up the next turn. It doesn't have to be that way, but that way is lots of fun.

Yeah. I see the similarity between the two, though the impetus for lifting the skis into the air are different. Both face down. Both rotate lower body in the air. Am I seeing Marcus directing pressure from tip to tail more than the demo guy? But, that’s on account of the impetus thing? Marcus gets impetus from the ski, so there’s a big bend and unbend of the ski as it transitions from dive to rise? And the demo guy, leaping with his legs, needs pressure directly under his feet?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I saw Marcus today. Looks like he injured his shoulder recently :(

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
Whelp. I'm pretty sure I'm too old to do more than one of those jump turns in a row. Sheesh...I'd have to hit the Snorting Elk (tavern) after that.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Hah a bit of wozzer smith buzzword bingo. 30+ secs to mention braquage then multiple reps of ankle flex.

His real world ski school has a distinct reputation for producing skiers who ski in a certain way. It works though for overly stiff brits.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Watch how he directs pressure to the outside ski.

Yup, I see that.

rotation is coming from the lower body under a stable upper body.

See that too.

But the really amazing piece is his regulation of pressure caused by the ski/snow interface

How is that observed? What do I look for? What would happen, all else (pressure to outside ski, upper/lower body) the same, if not regulated. Or, how else might it be regulated, what would those result in, how would we observe it?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
His pressure in the snow can be witnessed by watching how regulated his skis are in their penetration of the 3D snow.

I would say that these turns are for the camera except he's really just doing them because they're fun. He has a complete understanding of what his skis are doing in the snow. From his point of view, it is simply intuition. You don't ski like that by thinking about every move you're going to make. You just do it.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
watching how regulated his skis are in their penetration of the 3D snow.

I like that. Penetration.

“regulation of pressure”, “regulated penetration”, can we describe what’s happening, the scale by which regulation is applied, and what the regulation is?

I don’t think I’m addressing that question directly. But, compared to the hop turn in the instructional video, what I think I see is his knees are flexed as he rises out of the snow. After he is in the air, they are extending as transition happens in the air.
Whereas, in the hop turn, extension happens before the skis go into the air. I get the sense that Marcus is jetting off a mogul, then extending, reaching, bringing his pelvis forward, tipping the tips down, to make contact with the back side of the mogul.

So, with regard to pressure regulation., I think, correct me if I’m wrong, Marcus is directing pressure from tip through tail. Whereas, in the hop turn, there’s not much tail pressure, as the instructor needs to pressure underfoot to make the hop, to get onto the air.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Psia’s fifth fundamental is regulating the magnitude of pressure caused by the interaction of the skis and the snow. So @karlo, you’ve got the right idea but I’d put it slightly differently. I see him plantar flexing the ankle and extending the knee and hip to allow the skis to penetrate into the snow and bend, then dorsiflexing the ankles and flexing the knees and hips to absorb some of the rebound of the skis. Still, there’s enough energy from the rebound (with perhaps a bit of extension of the new outside leg) to propel him out of the snow.

he really isn’t using that much energy because his timing is so good. Rather, he is harnessing the energy created by the combination of the slope, snow, gravity, equipment, and path create. Truly impressive.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ok so Marcus can use any style he wants and be powerful in powder, and look good doing it what about Scot Schmidt and his style , which to me looks like independent leg action ( in interviews he will tell you he copied Stenmark and Gustavo for his way of turning ).
For me I love to get my uphill ski out of the snow and almost use a telemarking style and let my arms and upper body get loose and playfull.
Of course I can also use a more traditional two ski style but my ILA style is my favorite.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I see him plantar flexing the ankle and extending the knee and hip to allow the skis to penetrate into the snow and bend, then dorsiflexing the ankles and flexing the knees and hips to absorb some of the rebound of the skis.

Me, I find it hard to see ankle flex in the video. No doubt he’s pressing forward on boots and flexing them and ankles. But when that happens, then the subsequent release, that’s under the snow surface.

Still, there’s enough energy from the rebound (with perhaps a bit of extension of the new outside leg) to propel him out of the snow.

As was said, this must be steep. That and his speed.

Sponsor

Staff online