• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bigtinnie

Formerly 'sbooker' in another world.
Skier
My family always go for a long weekend this time of year to take advantage of the Mountain Collective days at Thredbo and to take advantage of the kid's show holidays.
Last year we were treated with cold dry snow. This year we had warmer weather (thaw freeze) and light rain showers - what a contrast! Still nice to be on skis for a few days.
The ski hill is fairly large by Southern Hemisphere standards. It's about 500 acres I think. The lifts are primarily modern and fast and the vertical is the most in Oz - about 1500 feet.
They've installed a novelty bell at the top to indicate reaching Australia's highest lifted peak - at around 6000 odd feet.
IMG_1285.JPG

For those that haven't been skiing in Australia it's the only place in the world where you can ski through 'snow gums'.
We had a great time but it's getting to the point of 'rip off' as far as accomodation and on mountain food are concerned. It's not nice feeling fleeced after every purchase.

Interesting I sat next to a Swiss fellow on the plane who now lives in Brisbane. He has a couple of weekends each year in Thredbo but primarily has a lengthy holiday in North America each year. He much prefers the likes of Whistler and Snowbird and a Jackson to absolutely anything in Europe (he has skied extensively there) due to the comparative lack of crowds, civil nature of people in lifts lines and no need for guides to ski off piste inbounds.
I told him of my want to check out the Dolimiti ski region in Italy and he agreed that is the only place he would like to go back to - but not for the snow or terrain - mostly for the 'worlds best scenery and on mountain dining'.

Marty McSly

Getting off the lift
Skier
The thing about snow gums is that they're built differently to the spruce and firs that you find in North America. They branch out just above the ground rather than having a central trunk. Tree holes are not an issue with snow gums, but watch your head when you get among them.

Snowgums2013-08-04.jpg

Ulmerhutte

Getting on the lift
Skier
This has been an epic season in Australia, and it is not over yet. It will be talked about for years to come.

We are at the start of the third major storm for the season, with 40cm already, and a forecast storm total of up to 100cm.

Not sure this link will work... ...but try anyway

Hope this bodes well for the coming Northern Hemisphere ski season.