• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

sjjohnston

Putting on skis
Skier
As noted, there's a regular Sun Valley crowd in Seattle, but I don't see anything that happens with passes affecting their behavior. They don't ski at Crystal much, or anywhere else, but that wouldn't change (at least not much) if their tickets at Crystal were free.

As for the non-SV crowd, once you're traveling as far as Sun Valley, I (anyway) would be considerably more inclined to take a plane to Salt Lake City, rather than Hailey (unless somebody is offering to fly me to Sun Valley in a private plane, but that doesn't happen as often as I think it really should). So the already existing 5-7 days at Deer Valley and Alta/Snowbird - not to mention Jackson, Big Sky, Squaw Valley etc. - are already more of a draw than Sun Valley would be.

For destination-type places within driving distance, bringing in Whistler, Bachelor and the interior BC areas would have more appeal, at least to me. Cypress is, of course, already in (it's Boyne-owned), but I don't think it's much of a factor.

As for the possible benefits (to Alterra) of inflow to Crystal, that would seem pretty limited. As already noted, there isn't a lot of lodging at the mountain, so the destination-traveler capacity is limited. The Forest-Service-approved Master Plan does allow an additional hotel, but it wouldn't be a huge increase. I think (might be off on this a bit) that it doesn't quite double the current lodging capacity. As an aside, Crystal doesn't even own the existing lodging anyway, so - unless Alterra has also struck a deal to buy the lodging, which I suppose is possible - all they get out of Ikon pass holders popping into Crystal is lodge food sales (and Crystal doesn't own all the food service, either). A more intriguing down-the-road plan might be adding lodging at the nearest private land, by Greenwater. It's not at the mountain, but I believe it's at least as close as Sun River is to Bachelor. That depending, of course, on the determination that Crystal could draw significant destination skiers in the first place.

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder if at some point Alterra will make a bid for some, if not all of the Boyne properties.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Update... new GM arrives later this month. JK and Kim are out, though they have a place there so will be skiing and waiting in line on powder days like the rest of us schleps. My best to them both.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Update... new GM arrives later this month. JK and Kim are out, though they have a place there so will be skiing and waiting in line on powder days like the rest of us schleps. My best to them both.

The two of them have been around for so long, I can't help but wonder what this means in terms of differences in how the resort is managed/run, and if any of those differences will be readily noticeable to the general public (vs. behind the scenes stuff).

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The two of them have been around for so long, I can't help but wonder what this means in terms of differences in how the resort is managed/run, and if any of those differences will be readily noticeable to the general public (vs. behind the scenes stuff).
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and predict food prices will go up a lot.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor

I'm pretty sure you'll notice. Maybe no giant leaps this season, but food service can only get better, No doubt folks will be asked to pay through both nostils instead of only one for food if you go that route... not that it matters much if you're a brown bagger. Be interesting to see if Brent O. takes over patrol. I haven't made any calls yet to friends still working down there as i'm sure they're getting tired of being pestered with questions from everyone.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Agree that Whitefish would be an interesting add for either Vail or IKON. They are fundamentally a destination and could sustain and thrive with more national traffic. Add more local flights from SEA, PDX, SFO and you have something interesting. I think that they are a better fit for IKON. IKON could bring more destination traffic, but they could operate locally in a unique manner. Not sure that the pass base would be interesting to Vail and I don't know how it would be additive economically to own it. I see Whitefish more like Taos, which makes perfect sense on IKON and none at all on Epic.

My worst nightmare would indeed be Vail. Then Mountain Collective, then Aspen. I continue to hope that lack of a nearby metro area and fog plus very limited base expansion abilities put us in the unattractive camp. The ski area seems to feel that the number of flights here are a problem. But this summer we're up to nearly double what they were when we moved here and now they are looking at airport expansions. :nono:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
One thing I noticed in that article is this quote:
Ultimately, they knew Crystal would be in good hands with Alterra. “I’m genuinely excited about this for Crystal. Alterra has the capital to keep Crystal growing. They’ll be able to build out the master plan quite a bit faster than we can,” John Kircher said.

So I hope that means the lift from Employee Housing to Green Valley gets built soon, and I’d especially be looking for expansion into Bullion Basin. Some of this got put on the back burner when they had to rebuild Chair 6 after the avalanche took it down a few years back.

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
My worst nightmare would indeed be Vail. Then Mountain Collective, then Aspen. I continue to hope that lack of a nearby metro area and fog plus very limited base expansion abilities put us in the unattractive camp. The ski area seems to feel that the number of flights here are a problem. But this summer we're up to nearly double what they were when we moved here and now they are looking at airport expansions. :nono:

You're quite the salesperson!

Reactions: BC.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
You'd think that with the price of land here being well over six times what we paid for it, I'd be thrilled at the idea of this place getting more popular, wouldn't you? But I have to live here and I've learned to prefer the ever-shrinking off season. Fortunately, our house is surrounded by a large conservation easement and most of the time I can pretend to live in the middle of nowhere.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
One thing I noticed in that article is this quote:
Ultimately, they knew Crystal would be in good hands with Alterra. “I’m genuinely excited about this for Crystal. Alterra has the capital to keep Crystal growing. They’ll be able to build out the master plan quite a bit faster than we can,” John Kircher said.

So I hope that means the lift from Employee Housing to Green Valley gets built soon, and I’d especially be looking for expansion into Bullion Basin. Some of this got put on the back burner when they had to rebuild Chair 6 after the avalanche took it down a few years back.

That lift from B lot to Green Valley would be killer, I do really hope that happens.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It is interesting to me that John and Kim took sole ownership of Crystal just a short time ago and now they sold. I'm sure it was a tough decision, knowing the passion of John and Kim, but I'm betting they'll be okay. ;)

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
It is interesting to me that John and Kim took sole ownership of Crystal just a short time ago and now they sold. I'm sure it was a tough decision, knowing the passion of John and Kim, but I'm betting they'll be okay. ;)

Everyone has a price. Some of the numbers I've heard explain a lot.

B lot to green valley... Would be nice to alleviate the uphill jam at the base area, but much of the season it can't be skied back down to the bottom. I could see a couple of on mountain lodges though... On at the top of that chair if they build it, and another at the top of quick silver. The former would be great... Some bathrooms for GV and north way would be good, and the latter for future mountain biking and hiking networks. And of course a do-over on the base area.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
My worse nightmare would be a direct lift served silver basin... unless it's terrain beyond were in the mix.

So what about Sunshine and Big White?

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Going to be an interesting learning curve for everyone.
:beercheer: