• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
Not sure why the news is just a little line on CMR’s website. But either way, yes!
BEE23405-2210-441E-A657-80EE1CACB41F.png
Edit by Pugski Admin to add press release:

ALTERRA MOUNTAIN COMPANY TO ACQUIRE CRYSTAL MOUNTAIN RESORT IN WASHINGTON

Expanding Regional Access to the Company’s Family of Destinations

DENVER, CO, September 6, 2018 – Alterra Mountain Company announces that it has entered into an agreement to purchase Crystal Mountain Resort in Washington, which would bring the company’s total to 14 year-round mountain destinations throughout North America, including the world’s largest heli-skiing operation.

“With the addition of Crystal Mountain Resort in Washington, we are able to expand our reach into the Pacific Northwest and offer our guests incredible experiences in the Cascade Mountains, while also giving Crystal Mountain Resort skiers and riders the opportunity to explore all the other premier destinations on the Ikon Pass,” said Rusty Gregory, Chief Executive Officer, Alterra Mountain Company. “Crystal Mountain is Washington’s premier destination and has been a favorite year-round destination for those in the greater Seattle-Tacoma area for years, and we are excited to include it in the Alterra Mountain Company family.”

Crystal Mountain Resort will be available on the Ikon Pass for winter 2018/2019. Access will be unlimited with no blackout dates on both the Ikon Pass and Ikon Base Pass. (Any Ikon Pass access or benefits at Crystal Mountain Resort are contingent upon the completion of Alterra Mountain Company’s transaction to acquire Crystal Mountain Resort.)

Situated in the Northeast edge of Mt. Rainier National Park, Crystal Mountain Resort is less than two hours from the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA) and boasts the largest and highest lift-serviced terrain in Washington. The mountain offers skiers and riders a gondola and 10 lifts, 57 runs, and a vertical drop of 3,100 feet across 2,600 acres. The village is home to a number of lodging properties, shops, services and year-round activities.

“It has always been my goal to ensure Crystal Mountain Resort be taken the farthest in the shortest amount of time in order to keep Crystal at the top of Northwest skiing,” said John Kircher, Owner of Crystal Mountain Resort. “Alterra Mountain Company is able to offer a depth of experience and resources, as well as inclusion on the Ikon Pass with its outstanding destinations throughout the world. The mountain sports business has changed more in the last year than I have seen it change in my entire 40-year career, and I am excited to see what lies ahead.”

The transaction is expected to close in the fourth quarter of 2018, and is subject to certain closing conditions, including regulatory approvals. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed. More details will be released once the transaction has closed.

Alterra Mountain Company’s destinations offer premium ski, snowboard and all-season activities for those who seek adventure, freedom, and fun in the great outdoors. Current destinations that make up Alterra Mountain Company are spread throughout five states and three Canadian provinces: Steamboat and Winter Park Resort in Colorado; Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, Mammoth Mountain, June Mountain and Big Bear Mountain Resort in California; Stratton in Vermont; Snowshoe in West Virginia; Tremblant in Quebec, Blue Mountain in Ontario; Deer Valley Resort and Solitude Mountain Resort in Utah; and CMH Heli-Skiing & Summer Adventures in British Columbia. Alterra Mountain Company was created when affiliates of KSL Capital Partners, owners of Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, and affiliates of Henry Crown and Company purchased Intrawest, Mammoth Resorts, and Deer Valley Resort in 2017.

At each destination, Alterra Mountain Company leaders are empowered to be decisive, creative, and bold in order to retain each mountain’s authentic character. Recognizing the innate value of the unique culture found at each of the mountain communities, Alterra Mountain Company’s goal is to preserve, sustain and support its two most important resources: the mountains and the people who live and play in them.

In January 2018, Alterra Mountain Company introduced the Ikon Pass for winter 2018-2019, the new standard in season passes. The Ikon Pass offers skiers and riders access to 35 mountain destinations throughout North America, Australia and Japan, including 13 Alterra Mountain Company destinations, plus 22 partner destinations.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Not sure why the news is just a little line on CMR’s website. But either way, yes!

Whoa.... Blue pill. Not there now though.

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Well, someone's looking for a job now, or.... I mean it makes sense and everyone has a price, but the owner's pretty content with things since independence from Boyne. Sorta wishful thinking or just plain crazy town. hmmmmmm.....

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It's good news for the Ikon pass folks if it is true.
Crystal is a nice hill. Always been one of my favorite. :thumb:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've double checked with the people who provide media with press releases and there is no press release for anything like this at this time.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
It's up on the ikon website now that Crystal is part of the ikon pass, which isn't the same thing as being acquired by Alterra: https://www.ikonpass.com/en/destination/crystal-mountain

Edit: Ah, there it is in the fine print at the bottom of the page.
Any Ikon Pass access or benefits at Crystal Mountain Resort is contingent upon the completion of Alterra Mountain Company’s transaction to acquire Crystal Mountain Resort.

Last edited:
TS
oswaldr2

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
how do those people up in the Seattle area feel about this?

Does this change anybody's plans for the Ikon outside of the PNW to travel there?

I personally love Crystal, went there a day and the terrain was great. I just have a hard time booking PNW as a destination outside of last minute.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Even though Crystal does have some lodging at the base (unlike Stevens), I think you can look at this acquisition in exactly the same way as the Vail acquisition of Stevens... It's less about adding Crystal as a destination for skiers and more about getting Crystal skiers on the Ikon pass so when they travel, they travel to an Ikon property.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
From a skiing perspective, Crystal is up there with all the major resorts. Lodging, not so much.

Spent a good part of a season at Jackson back in the late ‘80s. Went to Crystal the following year and was scare sh*tless. :eek:
The terrain there is legit. Stayed at one of the condo near the base. Great trip.

Spent a week at Crystal couple season back with the Maxx pass. The hill actually got better. Skied really well. Lodging availability still pretty lean. Stayed at a nice clean flea bag in Enumclaw. Had a great time. Will definitely do it again.

For the Ikon pass, Crystal is a great add. Makes a jog into the PNW worthwhile. Crystal and Alpental for a week will be the ticket for us. My only complaint is Alterra got to stop this adding resort crap this late into the summer. Shoots our next season’s road trip plan to hell. :P
A good pain to have. :D

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow.......

So within a few months, the three busiest ski areas/resorts in WA are now included on multi-resort passes: Stevens purchased by Vail, Snoqualmie included with Ikon pass benefits, and now Crystal purchased by Alterra. That’s a lot of Seattle-area skiers and boarders who suddenly have access to major destinations.

Since Crystal is the farthest of those three for me to drive to (takes me about 2 1/2 hours if I’m lucky), it’s not going to be my home mountain, at least not this year. We’re not about to move. As it is, I’m still teaching this coming season at Stevens (for an independent school which will apparently still operate this year at Stevens) so I will have a concession pass for Stevens.

That said, while Snoqualmie isn’t enough of an inducement for me to get an Ikon pass, Crystal most definitely is. 5 days at Snoqualmie on the Ikon pass would still have required me to obtain a season pass somewhere. With Crystal purchased by Alterra and presumably with unlimited access, that makes it feasible as a “one and only” pass product. Even so, I could budget for both an Epic Local and an Ikon Base pass, which would open up a ton of travel options. If I’m not planning to travel, I’d just pick one or the other.

As far as what other people will do, I imagine that those who like going to Whistler will go with the Epic Pass and ski Stevens, and those who prefer avoiding Whistler will get the Ikon and ski Crystal, assuming that travel outside of their home area is even a factor.

Last edited:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm dying to know if the announcement was planned for yesterday or today before the slip or if the slip caused them to move up their announcement date. Of course, we'll never actually know.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Does this change anybody's plans for the Ikon outside of the PNW to travel there?

My boss is based near Crystal and skis there some although isn't an avid skier like us. Anyhow, if I have to go up to see him over the winter and can spare a day I might actually take gear since I can check for free on my preferred airline.

ETA: I did just send him the info since he also loves Aspen so a pass might actually be worth it if he's planning a trip.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They sent the Crystal email. I think they're just messing around with the "leaks" for the fun of it.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
I have Crystal Mountain Founders Club rights/membership. The sign up for the coming season has been delayed and now I know why. Wonder how it will work for the Founders Club. Just paid for an Ikon pass so maybe I'm double booked at Crystal.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Even though Crystal does have some lodging at the base (unlike Stevens), I think you can look at this acquisition in exactly the same way as the Vail acquisition of Stevens... It's less about adding Crystal as a destination for skiers and more about getting Crystal skiers on the Ikon pass so when they travel, they travel to an Ikon property.

While this is probably true, Crystal makes a great destination when it has snow in a year where other destinations are in a drought. With the Ikon pass it makes this more likely.

Sponsor

Staff online