• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Who cares about a stupid app from Alterra???? The best ski app imaginable was released this year (sorry Android users, your version gets released next year), and it is called SLOPES.

Slopes does everything you could ever want

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No money being spent at our local bump, Blue Mountain. They could use an update to the snow-making

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tremblant aside, I'm disappointed at the lack of improvements at the east coast areas. I know they just recently bought Sugarbush but I was hoping they'd jump right in and invest in some snowmaking infrastructure.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Re: Mammoth "Canyon Express (Chair 16) out of Canyon Lodge, will also be replaced with a new high-speed six-pack" -

I had heard a rumor that the old Chair 16 was then going to be used to Replace Chair 1 at June ?
I think it’s a travesty that Alterra continues to ignore June Mt. that place is a hidden gem for families who ski together.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
48 million for lifts and terrain and 30 million for app development?

Anyone else think that is wrong? That’s a ratio of almost 2/3!
Plus, skiing improvement have to be payed in each area, whereas software can be developend once and used every where, in a sense, you could say the amount spend per resort skews even much more towards software!

Duluth (where I live), is building our mtb/hiking trail network. Annually we are spending about 200,000-400,000 on new trail construction and maintenance.

Imagine the outcry if we proposed to spend 200,000 on trail construction and 100,000 on “app development”!!
Since I'm not an Alterra employee I can only guess that the "$30 million in technology including Ikon Pass and destination app development and data utilization," is more than just an app, but is related to RFID equipment, scanners, pass production equipment, and the like. Not to mention staff to handle all of it. I highly doubt its "just the app"

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've been told that to implement RFID it's necessary to first install the required wireless infrastructure to connect all the stations.

For Sugarbush, maybe the deal was so recent that they'll be in the plans for next year. I bet they'll spend quite a bit over the next few years. There must be permitting involved to increase snowmaking. Does their reservoir have a surplus of water?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think it’s a travesty that Alterra continues to ignore June Mt. that place is a hidden gem for families who ski together.
June has been ignored for several years, long before Alterra came on the scene.
I recall a few years when June didn't open. :(

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
June has been ignored for several years, long before Alterra came on the scene.
I recall a few years when June didn't open. :(
Me too. That was a Mammoth buying up the competition move; they did it with BBMR also and it was the worst 2 years of management ever!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Tricia
    The Velvet Hammer
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January