• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Alternatives to Dry Q Elite?

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey there. I'm thinking of replacing my Mountain Hardwear jacket for the upcoming season. It's too big (yea exercise!) and I need a smaller jacket. I'm not a huge fan of the current styling of MH jackets so I'm looking to expand my options. The one critical feature is breathability because I sweat something fierce and the Dry Q Elite is the only membrane I've tried so far that breathes enough for me.

Any suggestions? Insulated or non-insulated are both options and I prefer a jacket that has a somewhat roomy cut. Price...I'd like to stay around $400-450 max.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks! I'll check that out.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
https://www.backcountry.com/strafe-...KYWNrZXRzICYgQ29hdHM6MToxMDpiY3NDYXQxMTAwMDQ=

"Unlike most breathable, waterproof membranes, Polartec NeoShell offers air permeable breathability which starts breathing the moment you put the jacket on, rather than once you start sweating. Polartec Alpha insulation is also air permeable, and it keeps the jacket warm yet lofty for compact packing."

Calling @Ron weren't you looking for a lime green jacket?

Freeride Systems also uses Polartec Neoshell in some of their jackets. They are linked to on the main page here as they are a sponsor.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Really think you should check out FreeRide Systems here.

They have a slightly boxy cut for their size. The fabrics they use are absolutely top notch -- including Polartec Neoshell (hardshell) and a Polartec Hybrid Softshell. Big pitzips in both Antero 2 and Antero 2+ aid in breathability. The hood system is the same you see on super high end stuff like ArcTeryx which allows hood going up / down without unzipping the collar.

Specifically the Antero 2 sounds like the jacket you're after. Boxy cut. Lightly insulated makes it very versatile. You do give up some pack-ability and add some weight but it doesn't sounds like you're touring / mountaineering with this. http://www.freeridesystems.com/category/antero-ii-series-softshell-jackets

The MSRP price reflects the MiUSA and materials. However they are running a program where you can send in old jackets and get $$$ off your new one. Alternatively they typically will provide a PugSki member discount ~20% which puts them well within your price range.

Plus, they have awesome customer service and stand behind their products like whoa.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Really think you should check out FreeRide Systems here.

They have a slightly boxy cut for their size. The fabrics they use are absolutely top notch -- including Polartec Neoshell (hardshell) and a Polartec Hybrid Softshell. Big pitzips in both Antero 2 and Antero 2+ aid in breathability. The hood system is the same you see on super high end stuff like ArcTeryx which allows hood going up / down without unzipping the collar.

Specifically the Antero 2 sounds like the jacket you're after. Boxy cut. Lightly insulated makes it very versatile. You do give up some pack-ability and add some weight but it doesn't sounds like you're touring / mountaineering with this. http://www.freeridesystems.com/category/antero-ii-series-softshell-jackets

The MSRP price reflects the MiUSA and materials. However they are running a program where you can send in old jackets and get $$$ off your new one. Alternatively they typically will provide a PugSki member discount ~20% which puts them well within your price range.

Plus, they have awesome customer service and stand behind their products like whoa.

Intriguing. The Plus seems like a good option. Is there a link to this program on old jackets? I didn't see it on the website but might have missed it.

Edit: I found the link.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Intriguing. The Plus seems like a good option. Is there a link to this program on old jackets? I didn't see it on the website but might have missed it.

Yeah...they aren't Web kung-fu masters. Here is the info: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums...-THREADS-FOR-SHREDS-JACKET-TRADE-IN-UP-TO-250 .

I have an Antero 2+ which is just a hardshell. Perfect ski hardhsell IMHO. Great hood system that fits a ski helmet, long sleeves, burly fabric for smashing into trees, and big zips that are easy to operate with gloves.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Calling @TheBestSkier

Freeride also offers a killer discount for Pug members!

I was just on the phone a bit earlier with Kyle ordering my new jackets for the season.....:thumb:

Antero2Plus_Mint-Front.jpg

Jacket-Brown-Front.jpg

Last edited:
TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, Ron. I've sent photos of my current jacket and my measurements to Kyle. Hopefully I'll get a good price for it. I also threw in a shout-out for Pugski.

I can't decide between the red and the blue :)

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Thanks, Ron. I've sent photos of my current jacket and my measurements to Kyle. Hopefully I'll get a good price for it. I also threw in a shout-out for Pugski.

I can't decide between the red and the blue :)

which red or blue? Ant II or II+?

I really like that Ant II Softie in the Crimson red.

A note on Fit: FreeRdies run larger but I dont find them boxy. I wear a Large in Arc' but I wear a medium in FreeRide. I also get the "tall" length for a slightly longer torso fit. At 6' I like to have my butt covered when on the lifts or for deep cold days.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
IMG_0832.JPG

Here's my A) outfit this year Antero2 softshell from Colorado Freeride Systems.

I'm likely getting another. I too have had the MHW DryIQ & this is a step up.

Props to @TheBestSkier for great help. Trade in an older coat & get one!

Reactions: Ron
TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
which red or blue? Ant II or II+?

I really like that Ant II Softie in the Crimson red.

A note on Fit: FreeRdies run larger but I dont find them boxy. I wear a Large in Arc' but I wear a medium in FreeRide. I also get the "tall" length for a slightly longer torso fit. At 6' I like to have my butt covered when on the lifts or for deep cold days.

Ant II+ I'm normally a blue guy (my avatar is my current jacket) but I think I want to go bright this time.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 28504

Here's my A) outfit this year Antero2 softshell from Colorado Freeride Systems.

I'm likely getting another. I too have had the MHW DryIQ & this is a step up.

Props to @TheBestSkier for great help. Trade in an older coat & get one!

That blue is nice, and it would match my skis!!!! ogwink

I take it that @TheBestSkier is Kyle? I shoulda known he was a member here. :doh:

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Are those your colors this year?

amongst others....:)

i returned that gamma mx green, it just wasnt what i wanted.

so I have one other shell from last season as well. I like going with more subtle jackets with brighter pants and then a 3rd color for helmet. I have my Pret lime green or brown or bright yellow helmet. That mint will go well with a lot of different colors or even a boring black pant. :) The brown will be going with yellow, teal, gray or lime green pants. possibly red or blue?

EDIT; changed order to the Black Cherry Ant II.

Once I get these in, I will be selling off a ton of stuff! Stay tuned.

Last edited: