• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kent

Getting on the lift
Skier
Skiers who own and use more than one pair of skis usually refer to their multiple skis as a quiver. Even skiers who only own one pair of skis sometimes use the phrase "one ski quiver." The term quiver originally referred to the case which held an archer's arrows. Metonymy, the close association of one thing with another, took hold and the group of arrows in the case became thought of as a quiver. Thus quiver as a metaphor for a collection of skis.

However, an archer needed all of his arrows to behave, or function, as closely as possible in the same way. It wouldn't do for an arrow to exhibit idiosyncrasies during either the mayhem of battle or the urgency of hunting.

But a skier purposely chooses skis which have a variety of performance characteristics. Much like a golfer wants his/her set of clubs to cover a wide range of needs, so does the skier who owns more than a single pair of skis. So, for this poor mind, the term quiver referring to a collection of skis is a little dissonant. The metaphor lacks depth.

Can anyone come up with a better word? Set is too mundane for us skiers, isn't it? Collection is too generic, isn't it? How about fleet? Yes, a tactical group of, not ships in our case, but skis. Fleet comes from an old English word meaning to float. We do want our skis to float don't we? And the adjectival and verbal meanings denoting swiftness applies to our skis as well.

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
Up until a few years ago, probably before I ever engaged in any ski blogs/social media etc. I never heard the term “quiver” or maybe I just didn’t pay attention...

Anyway I always termed my ski’s (as I’ve neve kept more than two pairs at a time) as my “Frontside” skis and “Backside” ski’s, currently my 2017 Head iRally,s and 2018 K2 Pinacle 105’s.

But since there are others here who have multiple sets of frontside/backside skis a better term might be:

“Arsenal” ogsmile

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Well, even archers have different arrows for each purpose.
  1. Arrows for fishing (with line attach, rubber fletching, barbed hook
  2. Arrows for target practice (conical tip for ease of removal from target).
  3. Arrows for bird hunting (extra large "fluffy" fletching to prevent arrow from going too far).
  4. Arrows for big game hunting (broad-head razor point to sever veins and arteries).
  5. Arrows for field targets (extra stout and pointy as the targets are on trees)
  6. Arrows for small game hunting (sometimes with a big rubber bulb on the front which will stun the game, but prevent the arrow from diving under the ground cover and getting lost)
Go to an archer's garage -- you'll see lots of different arrows.

So I think "Quiver" is perfect.

arrowhead-types.jpg

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As as longbow and recurve archer I like quiver. Actually quiver is what you store your arrows in. So would it be more appropriate to call your car, garage, basement your quiver?

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I too never quite got the word as being so fitting for the different skis in ones garage (or closet, whatever). But also I wouldnt really know what to call it and probably doesnt really have to be called anything. Perhaps just refer to it as variety of skis or whatever term or word/s that would fit the sentence and have t make sense.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Whilst I aspire to an exaltation of Stocklis, myself :D, I have no argument with those who wish a diligence of Kastles, or perhaps a murder of Heads

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
A group of cobra's is also called a quiver.

But I like Cauldron.

Sponsor

Staff online