• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
hi All,

Planning a guys trip to Alta and looking for a place to stay preferably slope side, but open to cool places nearby too. There are four of us so appreciate recommendations.

Thanks,
Dov

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
ANY of the lodges, but the Goldminer's Daughter is my favorite. Good, if not luxe, accommodations. Great food. And you can't beat the location for convenient access to the Collins lift.

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
Slope side options are pretty limited. Alta Lodge, Goldminer’s Daughter, Peruvian, Rustler. New one opening this season (Snowpine). Otherwise, hit up VRBP and find a dope house/condo. Make sure to confirm with the owners that it’s actually skin in/out. Many things are listed that way, but involve a lot of walking to get to the slopes. Or stay at snowbird and ride the shuttle to Alta.

Guys trip to Alta lacks nightlife and restaurant options. If you want that stuff, stay in SLC/Cottonwood Heights/Sandy.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
Thanks for the guidance. Currently looking at VRBO but it is pretty slim pickings right now. Probably going to go with one of the dorm rooms unless we can find something better. Can anyone recommend a good vacation rental?

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
Thanks for the advice everyone. We booked Goldminer's Daughter March 7-11. Turns out if you have a Mountain Collective or Icon Pass they give you a 10% discount on accommodation :)

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
Yup love the location and the rustic feel. I guess you could say I am not one of the fancy skiers who has to stay in a pretty ergo hotel. Give me room spitting distance from the slopes and a hot tub that does not smell like sweaty ski socks and we are good to go.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
GMD is great! You don't need a car at Alta (unless you are traveling to another mt further away- No car needed to get to Snowbird next door-
GMD shuttle will drive you and pick you up if you don't ski back to Alta..
Your car will just gather snow, Easier to take the Alta Shuttle from SLC let them drive LLC..
Have a blast!

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
GMD is great! You don't need a car at Alta (unless you are traveling to another mt further away- No car needed to get to Snowbird next door-
GMD shuttle will drive you and pick you up if you don't ski back to Alta..
Your car will just gather snow, Easier to take the Alta Shuttle from SLC let them drive LLC..
Have a blast!
That is the plan. We have Mountain Collective passes so have 2 days at Snowbird and 2 at Alta for free and then can pick our favorite mountain for our fifth day. Would love some recommendations on runs/lifts to explore. The whole group is made up of very advanced skiers who will ski pretty much anything. Looking for some deep and steep terrain :)
Also curious has anyone used Uber to get from SLC to Alta, the price is way cheaper than any of the limousine/shuttle companies so curious as to peoples experiences with that.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
has anyone used Uber to get from SLC to Alta, the price is way cheaper than any of the limousine/shuttle companies so curious as to peoples experiences with that.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
imho LLC can be very dicey if it's snowing, and is usually snowing a lot more higher up you go, if you UBER make sure they have good snow tires/chains and have driven the LLC up or down.. it's quite spectacular slice up the canyon, not for the faint at heart...

Can't go wrong skiing at either Mt, get off a lift go right or left :)
Hope you have inter-lodge, (so much snow they close the LLC rd and lock you in GMD til they Avi-blast! then you get a private ski resort for a while til the road gets opened

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That is the plan. We have Mountain Collective passes so have 2 days at Snowbird and 2 at Alta for free and then can pick our favorite mountain for our fifth day.

With the MCP, you actually have 2 days at Snowbasin, 2 at Alta, and 2 at Snowbird.

You don't have any that get you Alta and Snowbird on the same day - they're separate tickets.

And on the days you ski Snowbird, if you stop at the little shack where the resorts meet at the end of the day, and tell them that you're staying at Goldminer's daughter, they'll let you ski back down to it.

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
Gold Miners Daughter seems very expensive.
Is that over $400 per person per night I’m reading? I hope that includes a lift ticket?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Gold Miners Daughter seems very expensive.
Is that over $400 per person per night I’m reading? I hope that includes a lift ticket?

A standard room (two beds) is over $400/night for 2 people. All rooms include breakfast and dinner in the restaurant, which I thought was really good. (The prices vary depending on how many people are staying, because of the meal cost.)

They also have dorm style rooms where you book a bed in a shared room, for under $200 a night that also include meals. If you have several people, it's possible to get a dorm room for your group too and keep the cost down.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
A standard room (two beds) is over $400/night for 2 people. All rooms include breakfast and dinner in the restaurant, which I thought was really good. (The prices vary depending on how many people are staying, because of the meal cost.)

They also have dorm style rooms where you book a bed in a shared room, for under $200 a night that also include meals. If you have several people, it's possible to get a dorm room for your group too and keep the cost down.
That is what we did. Four of us in a private dorm room, essentially a bedroom with 4 twin beds. works out to less than $200/person/night and that includes breakfast and dinner. This is by far the best on hill location in Alta from what I can tell plus the best deal going. It is also an old school ski lodge owned and run by hard core skiers. Places like this are harder and harder to find these days but totally worth it when you do.

FYI they offer a Mountain Collective and Icon discount of 10% and a returning guest discount of 12%

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
With the MCP, you actually have 2 days at Snowbasin, 2 at Alta, and 2 at Snowbird.

You don't have any that get you Alta and Snowbird on the same day - they're separate tickets.

And on the days you ski Snowbird, if you stop at the little shack where the resorts meet at the end of the day, and tell them that you're staying at Goldminer's daughter, they'll let you ski back down to it.
How far is Snow Basin from Goldminers Daughter? Would love to hit it as well since we have 5 days of skiing planned. And yes understand that you cannot combine hills on the Mountain Collective, but we do get 4 days instead of two which is how it used to be so loving that

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
How far is Snow Basin from Goldminers Daughter? Would love to hit it as well since we have 5 days of skiing planned. And yes understand that you cannot combine hills on the Mountain Collective, but we do get 4 days instead of two which is how it used to be so loving that
Just mapped it and it looks to be close to a 2 hour drive each way. Will probably pass and take advantage of staying on hill at Alta/Snowbird. driving 2 hours defeats the purpose of staying on hill :)

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I might comment that the 3 course dinner at GMD is easily worth $50. White table cloths and all that. And at least another $10-15 for breakfast. Go down with time to spare and you can get made-to-order eggs.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just mapped it and it looks to be close to a 2 hour drive each way. Will probably pass and take advantage of staying on hill at Alta/Snowbird. driving 2 hours defeats the purpose of staying on hill :)

Good call. You don't pay to stay slope side in LCC to then drive to Snowbasin...

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
I might comment that the 3 course dinner at GMD is easily worth $50. White table cloths and all that. And at least another $10-15 for breakfast. Go down with time to spare and you can get made-to-order eggs.
They also do après ski snacks and drinks though I think you have to pay for the drinks :)
That easily saves you another $15-20
All in all GMD seems like a great deal and it has that old school ski lodge for skiers atmosphere which I really like :)

Sponsor

Staff online