• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Alta and Snowbird in April ? Slush ?

TQA

Putting on skis
Skier
Well the stars planets my boat and my cat plus my sore knee have all got together and said " Cinderella you SHALL go to the ball"

Well scratch out Cinderella and insert this old fart and change the ball to the first three weeks in April on the white stuff.

I am a retired old fart and usually ski in February so don't know what to expect in the first three weeks in April. It looks like there is plenty snow so will conditions still be good all day or will it be slush city by midday. Strictly a groomer skier now a days

Is there any kind of late season pass deal going for April ? I usually ski 3 days out of 4 and can only manage 3 to 4 hours before my knee craps out.

So the flights alone are $1500 will I be wasting my money Or will it be business as usual at Alta.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Early April should be good, possibly a bit of slush later. Best powder day of my life was at Snowbird in early April. YMMV

Snowbird has a spring pass. A little pricey. Not aware of anything for Alta or both combined.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
We were just in Alta/Snowbird last week and their cumulative total for the seasons surpassed 500 inches and more snow was on the way. The locals were telling me that Snowbird would likely stay open until June. Barring a heat wave or massive rainstorm you should have a good time in April :)

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
if you're strictly a groomer skier, strike snowbird. You'd be better off with solitude and brighton to mix up the groomer game. Deervalley would actually top alta too in the groomer game, but if you dont have a pass that maybe prohibitively expensive.
If you had the ikon full pass that would grant you enough access for the 3weeks to these SLC resorts, with unlimited at solitude, but that option has sailed. 2020 pass only gives you 2019 spring at solitude.

if you're having issues with fatigue, I can suggest you post what gear you are using, esp. if it is oldschool or old skis. They are doing a lot with skis and you can actually buy a turn or at least buy less fatigue in this case. I'm sure the gearheads will have other suggestions you can demo or try out but an ultra premium ski e.g. a stockli or renoun may extend your hours, and provide the stability and dampness of a fat ski but still as a skinnier ski. I know my laser ax s feel like magic skis.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You may need to check closing date on some resorts of interest. DV may close Apr 7, Brighton Apr 14. Not sure if these have been updated to reflect deep snowpack this year. I'm planning to ski Snowbird frequently into May 2019. Typically, there is a stage in Apr when you don't need to arrive earlier than about 11AM so snow can soften from overnight firmness, but spring afternoons can be a thing of beauty. If you know Snowbird, then you know it's a pretty challenging mtn where off-piste steeps are a big part of the offering, but there should be a decent supply of groomers in late season if you have proper expectations. There is a late season pass for about $650-700, but they can be coy about announcing it depending on financial and snow factors, and sometimes wait into early Apr to go public with their spring pass offer. You may want to contact the resort to see if they'll be forthcoming about it soon? Because of the tremendous snowpack throughout the Rockies it's a good year to consider an Apr visit if you weren't able to do a Feb visit.

TS
TQA

TQA

Putting on skis
Skier
Thank you for the reassurance on the snow quality.I usually warm up at Alta and stretch my groomer zoomer turns on Snowbird. I have skied both Brighton and Solitude in the past and will look at that $199 end of season pass.

DV holds bad memories for me as it seems that I get wiped out every time I ski there. On that side of the Wasatch I like Canyons and can be found there when I think LCC will be crowded.

As for kit well I get sh** and derision over my beloved Salomon SX 92 Equipes but they just fit comfortably and give me excellent egbe control. I have tried out several of the modern shorter skis but find I over turn a lot. So I will be hanging on to my Atomic Beta Carv 10 20s at 195. No new tricks for this old dog

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January