• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Alpine Trekkers - Good Way to Sample Backcountry?

Snuckerpooks

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm a current masters and local area ski racer but am looking to venture into other forms of skiing.

I have some powder boards but am apprehensive about dropping a lot of money on new boots and bindings. I still don't know if I want to live more on the resort or try more hiking.

I recently saw a youtube video where a popular ski teacher in my area used Alpine Trekkers. Something like these.
In my area there are no rental shops or really any shops that deal with BC gear, it's all race country.

Would something like these be a good alternative to give hiking a try with my second set of boots that DO have a walk mode?

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sure, but it will be unpleasant. You're very high off the snow, and the whole setup will be heavy.

That said, 30 years ago, when i started, i did this for a few days.

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Might be good for a try, but as Rod points out above, it won't give you a very enjoyable experience first time around. Touring adapters are the least efficient form of touring, compared to frame bindings (2nd least efficient) and then pin bindings (being the most efficient). Are you using boots with a decent touring mode? That's another consideration, having a greater range of motion with a proper touring boot also makes skinning easier and more enjoyable (being able to make a longer stride is more efficient).

That all being said, what adapters are currently on the market? Not many currently. BCA no longer make the Alpine Trekkers (you might be able to find some second hand and they should be pretty cheap) and then there are two other options that I know about in the US; the Contour Startups (but they are for kid's and have a limited adjust-ability range - they max out at BSL 305mm) and then you have the Daymaker Alpine Touring Adapters, the only remaining option for adults now (to my knowledge).

The Daymakers are definitely a major step up from the old Trekkers and they tour quite well (torsional rigidity is good but they are heavy and take up a lot of room in your pack on the downhill) but you pay a premium for them at $330. For that price, you can buy a pair of frame touring bindings (but if you are going to do that, then definitely consider going pin, the Salomon Shifts ski really well inbounds too, but then you need a pin compatible boot).

So, there's no easy answer here unfortunately, you will be making compromises whichever way you go. Touring is a lot of fun though and adds a whole new dimension to skiing. I hope you find a happy medium.

- Matt

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would say, look inside yourself.
You don’t always have to try the exact activity to know wether you will like it.

Do like hiking in the mountains? Cross country skiing? Backpacking? Mountain biking? Trail running? Etc.

Basically, If you don't mind cardio efforts and like trekking through the mountains, you will like AT skiing. After all, you already know you like the downhill part, and the uphill part is just walking on snow, faster than snowshoeing, slower than XC skiing.

if you believe you would like it, then I would skip the Daymakers and just go straight for a true touring set up.

If you think you’d like it, but not have much time or money for it, I would still skip the Daymakers and just get the some frame bindings(similar price) or, If your boots have tech fittings, Tectons or Kingpin MWerks, on your powder skis.

However, there is a thread of people here who have done the Daymakers and liked it:

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And don’t forget, more important is avalanche and other backcountry skills and knowledge.

If you are not sure you will like it, travel somewhere when’re you can take a guided skitour, with rentals.
If you know you will like it, go take an Avalanche safety course.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Well at the time they had a useful niche purpose. I still have a pair of old Alpine Trekkers I was using from a decade or so ago. (own Daymakers now.) I could reach modest places on slopes as long as a gradients were not too steep or firm. However they put ski boots up high above a binding where they are unstable and awkward causing one to use quite a bit more effort. There were also material failures. In steep firm areas even with sharp edges they are scary as one becomes aware how they can buckle laterally.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I bought a pair of Daymakers and really like them so far. They sold me a pair of slightly used (rented once) for $250. For as little as I can get out an entire touring setup didn't make sense so I can use them in any ski I have skins for. But the boots I use have a walk option that definitely helps.

BoofHead

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm a current masters and local area ski racer but am looking to venture into other forms of skiing.

I have some powder boards but am apprehensive about dropping a lot of money on new boots and bindings. I still don't know if I want to live more on the resort or try more hiking.

I recently saw a youtube video where a popular ski teacher in my area used Alpine Trekkers. Something like these.
In my area there are no rental shops or really any shops that deal with BC gear, it's all race country.

Would something like these be a good alternative to give hiking a try with my second set of boots that DO have a walk mode?
I like to ski in your neck of the woods, recently returned from a couple of weeks there(almost finished my 14 day self isolation). I have kingpins on my skis and use Scarpa boots. I fully realise how stuffed I would be if any of my kit broke in that area.

Sponsor

Staff online