• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Alpine touring skis for hardpack

otisshirley

Booting up
Skier
Yes, I know this is a bit of a contradiction in terms. But I live in Southern New England and all of my skinning uphill is at resorts—I do it for exercise and for the peace and quiet. Most days when I skin up the surface is either hardpack or groomed manmade snow. (If there is a lot of soft snow, or the trees are skiable, I use the lifts so I can get more downhill runs in.)

This year I've been using 2017 Kästle FX85 skis with Shift bindings. Ideally I'd like skis that are lighter—less than 1500 g per ski (the FX85s are 1700 g per ski) but are no worse or better than the FX85s on hardback. The FX85s are not that great on hardpack, as some of you may know.

I've been thinking about the Kästle TX82s and the Black Crows Ova Freebirds, but I'm wondering if there are others you would recommend. For reference, I'm 5'8", 140 pounds, and my usual hardpack skis (for non-skinning days) are the 2018 Rossignol Hero Elite Short Turns (recreational slalom skis). Thanks!

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Put a pair of shifts on those Hero Elites, report back with video.

Seriously - I plan on skinning with some of my narrow hard pack skis this Spring (assuming the pandemic eases up just a tad). And you're not skinning up to ski the wild snow.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
YMMV, but the idea of a <1500g ski with an 850g binding is a severe mismatch to me. A ski that light simply doesn't have the mass to ski very well on hardpack.

A ski 3-400g heavier will ski better with a lighter weight binding than a lighter ski with a heavy binding.

TS
otisshirley

otisshirley

Booting up
Skier
Put a pair of shifts on those Hero Elites, report back with video.

Seriously - I plan on skinning with some of my narrow hard pack skis this Spring (assuming the pandemic eases up just a tad). And you're not skinning up to ski the wild snow.
I don't even want to know how heavy those Hero Elites are, even at 68 mm underfoot and 162 cm long.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Stöckli Edge 88? They are technically touring skis, but not super light. They handle hard pack better than FX85s, a little bit, but I doubt they weigh less. Next year Head has a Kore 87; don't know weight but those are light skis, and the ones I have been one have been surprisingly damp on firm snow. Finally, Liberty V76 or V82. Again, not super light but that's a tough one on hard snow; you are looking for an oxymoron.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There are few AT skis that are good on hardback. I recently have gotten into skinning on the east coast too. Blizzard zero G is what I have and works well on hard pack. I have the 108 width in 185 cm. they make a 95 and a 88 width too. The ski is stiff and torsion ally strong. Mine weighs 1730 grams. On frozen lumpy snow you have to slow down, but otherwise they do well.

Go to the blister buyers guide and they review lots of touring skis and rate them for hard conditions. I assume you are looking at the shorter lengths based on the weights you mention.

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have the BC Ova Freebird. If your condition is often icy, it is not a good choice. Maybe get an Orb freebird instead.

Yes, I know this is a bit of a contradiction in terms. But I live in Southern New England and all of my skinning uphill is at resorts—I do it for exercise and for the peace and quiet. Most days when I skin up the surface is either hardpack or groomed manmade snow. (If there is a lot of soft snow, or the trees are skiable, I use the lifts so I can get more downhill runs in.)

This year I've been using 2017 Kästle FX85 skis with Shift bindings. Ideally I'd like skis that are lighter—less than 1500 g per ski (the FX85s are 1700 g per ski) but are no worse or better than the FX85s on hardback. The FX85s are not that great on hardpack, as some of you may know.

I've been thinking about the Kästle TX82s and the Black Crows Ova Freebirds, but I'm wondering if there are others you would recommend. For reference, I'm 5'8", 140 pounds, and my usual hardpack skis (for non-skinning days) are the 2018 Rossignol Hero Elite Short Turns (recreational slalom skis). Thanks!

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't even want to know how heavy those Hero Elites are, even at 68 mm underfoot and 162 cm long.

Oh come on ya big baby.
How much elevation are you planning on slaying??? 600'?? or (gasp) 900'??

Seriously, you're talking east coast resorts: limited elevation, hard snow. Do the right thing.

Ottoclave

Booting up
Skier
Atomic Backland 85, Blizzard ZeroG 88, Black Diamond Route 88, Volkl makes an 88 underfoot touring ski, Voile Objective, Dynafit Tour 88 or 82. Or, go all in and get a race ski like the Atomic Backland 65 UL.

Also, ditch the Shifts and mount any of those skis with a G3 Zed, Marker Alpinist or a Salomon MTN. The backland 65s should have a real pinch race binder on them though.

Lee

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Those would be poor bindings for uphilling at a resort. The rigidity of the toe makes them uncomfortable on hardpack. Ego, Techton or shifts have the elasticity you need. Not doing big, long distance days at a resort

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
useing shift at resort touring now. Im surprised how damn hard and horrible conditions get with so few people skiiing.. guess now we know why we have piste machines.

weather is great so kinda weird.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Those would be poor bindings for uphilling at a resort. The rigidity of the toe makes them uncomfortable on hardpack. Ego, Techton or shifts have the elasticity you need. Not doing big, long distance days at a resort
The pin bindings ski just fine, and they are a lot more reliable than shifts.

Lee

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
They do ski fine, but for a dedicated resort east coast uphill ski as the op is looking for I have found toe elasticity to be a significant plus. Note I only have experience with vipec

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Generaly, the firmer the snow, the narrower the ski. As a side result, narrower skis are automatically lighter. So, if downhill performance matters to you, get some narrower skis, but in a not to light construction. Why go over 80mm?

For resort skinning, most people use pretty minimal bindings, which can help save weight. Since there are no flat spots, a rando race style tech binding can work well. The ones where you use a heel lifter to cover the pins. The result is no flat position, but very quick and easy transitions, and super light.
If the snow is often frozen and rough, the Vipec might be worth a conservation, because, as @Lee mentions, they have lateral toe elasticity and also the non rotating heel gives very solid control over the back of the ski. They also are a lot easier to transition on than Shifts (you can keep skis on)

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I don't see why you need a light ski for uphilling at the resort. You do it for exercise, so you get more exercise with a heavier setup

Because if you're doing much vertical, weight just sucks. If you're on a small hill out east, just boot up and save some money, or find some used telemark gear and challenge your learning curve AND get more exercise on the down.

There are touring skis that work on hard pack. Will they work as well as race skis? No, but there's a freaking load of BS nonsense on this thread mascarading as knowledgeable gear discussion.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

You're spending most ALL your time going UP, not down. Hard snow... it happens even when proper touring. You make terrain and tactical choices (speed) accordingly. Tech binding NEVER ski as well as alpine bindings, but they're much better for what they're designed to do.... go up.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Because if you're doing much vertical, weight just sucks. If you're on a small hill out east, just boot up and save some money, or find some used telemark gear and challenge your learning curve AND get more exercise on the down.

There are touring skis that work on hard pack. Will they work as well as race skis? No, but there's a freaking load of BS nonsense on this thread mascarading as knowledgeable gear discussion.
I still don't understand why weight makes a difference in a resort going uphill.

It sucks only in comparison with a lighter setup.

I bc ski a lot and i used to have a much heavier setup. Still got to ski a lot of fun stuff and it didn't seem any harder.
Sure i go a bit faster now, but it's not easier.

Like someone said, you get faster but it doesn't get easier.

Sponsor