Featured Allsop Ski Binding 3D Solid Model done in Fusion 360

Discussion in 'General Skiing' started by RickyG, Mar 22, 2019.

1. RickyG

RickyG Getting on the lift Skier

Gang:
    Some of you have see the 3D models of classic ski binding I've been doing. Again for anyone interested these are complete bindings right down to the smallest spring, screw, stamped piece of metal. Kneale Brownson was kind enough to send me a set of 1st generation Allsop Ski Bindings the metal cased ones. After doing the Marker M4 I found this one to be more of a Rube Goldburg that Swiss watch. This is just a JPG of the outside, the safety strap was an interesting challenge. I'm going to make a couple more shots with the heel casing taken away.

Enjoy Allsop Ski Binding Assembly v1.jpg

Snowfan, James, firebanex and 4 others like this.
  2. Thread Starter
    TS
    RickyG

Here is the heel alone so what do you think...like this or would you like to see another binding done this way? Allsop Ski Binding Assembly v2.jpg

3. Crudmaster

Crudmaster tinyurl.com/pungjgt Skier

Hee hee! I skied with Allsops for a couple of years. They were ACTUALLY SAFER than any other binding at the time. But nobody liked the idea of drilling a hole into their boot sole.

Their brilliance was that the binding had a peg under the ball of your foot sticking into the boot sole. That meant that when you twist out, the fulcrum is the ball of your foot, not an inch behind your heel where it is with all other bindings today. With this design, friction between the boot and binding was a non-issue. Especially when pitched forward, as we often are in a serious fall.

Back then I was a rowdy, mogul-banging skier, yet I was able to set my twist release setting so loose that it was easy to twist out of the binding when I wanted to take my skis off. And I wouldn't pre-release while skiing!

This was the Betamax of ski bindings. Engineering-wise, it was superior. But the market for ski bindings isn't engineers.

RickyG and Uncle-A like this.
  4. Uncle-A

Uncle-A In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al" Skier

I also skied the Allsop for a few seasons and never had any issues. We sold them to a lot of customer's that purchased Hexcel skis for two reasons. First the plastic model was very light and the toe wings were short and close to the mounting screws so they didn't pull out of the honeycomb.
    @RickyG thanks for doing these 3D models. I enjoy seeing how the bindings work inside. I am guessing that you put a lot of time doing the work so I thought you should know I appreciate it.

James and RickyG like this.
  5. Uncle-A

On the heel of the Allsop the locking screw was an item that some binding techs had an issue with. It was flat on one side allowing the heel to slide when setting up the binding to the boot. If the tech pushed the heel too far forward before locking it with the locking screw it would effect the forward release. Because if the tech turned the locking screw clockwise it would move a little bit more forward and make it even tighter on the boot heel. If the tech turned it counterclockwise to lock the heel in place it would move back a bit. Because it would lock by turning it either way you just had to be careful. Most techs would turn the locking screw clockwise out of habit, they just had to be a little more careful when locking the heel.

Crudmaster likes this.

6. Thread Starter
    TS
    RickyG

I love hearing those tales...I was more than likely one of those techs. The rep gave me a pair when I was working for Jerry Jolly's in Denver. I found this picture on Pinterest so the picture isn't mine but I swear to all the ski gods that is exactly how my set up was . The real give away is the Hanson Internationals with the aluminum flex control rods. The later boots had red injection molded control rods. Since Jolly's was one of the first Hanson dealers in Denver I got myself a set of size "2"s and I think the serial number was 00001 or something very low. Out of all the stuff that I have "lost" over the years I really wish I could find those Hanson's. Later boys and girls I'll share the tale of using a iron and paper towels to remove Hanson wax from shag carpet.
    Hanson-Hexcel-Allsop.jpg

Crudmaster and Uncle-A like this.
  7. Uncle-A

The skis look like a pair of Hexcels, do you remember what model they were? Maybe the comp model?

8. Joal

Joal Out on the slopes Skier

@Uncle-A surprising, I think, that locking screw is plastic. You miss the grooves a few times and the plastic could flatten but with these the metal grooves are in worse shape than the plastic screw. It is also a cam. Clockwise tightens as you turn but counter just hits the fattest part of the cam. The side release tension is a screw between the heel wings. Just a plus and minus sign, no scale. I have been hum and hawing about taking these out. I had a shop do a grind and a bit of structure on the base and I was going to do the side angles but I see I still have not done it.

IMG_0718.JPG

Snowfan, Crudmaster and Uncle-A like this.
  9. Joal

Nice work! Now do an exploded view.:D

10. Uncle-A

Wow that is correct I totally forgot that it was a cam shape. The memory is not what it used to be. But do you see the heel move forward a little when you turn the cam?

11. Joal

Well, and it is not actually a screw. They are parallel ridges and grooves that engage matching grooves in the base plate. It just lifts the housing up a tiny bit as it is tightened. If it moves forward I would think it is just pulling itself to engage if it is not already perfectly aligned with the grooves.

Crudmaster and Uncle-A like this.
  12. Sven Golly

Sven Golly At the base lodge Skier

I was a tester for Allsop (and K2 and Hart). The Allsop bindings were the best I'd ever skied on. No pre-releases, would take chatter like nothing else and yet, as you said, you could set them low enough to just swivel out when you were taking a break. K2 tried to revive the Allsop a few years ago after the patents expired. I think they made about 200 sets. No idea where they ended up. My hot ride was a pair of Hart Honeycomb Comps (from the racing shop), Allsop bindings and Lange Pros. I also used the Allsops with early K2 boots. Buss Allsop was really a nice guy. I met his son at January's CES show in Las Vegas. Allsop is still alive and well but out of the ski industry. (Anyone remember the Allsop Boot-In or the Shock Absorber pole?)

Crudmaster, RickyG and Uncle-A like this.
  13. Thread Starter
    TS
    RickyG

Joal...if I can...here is an AVI of the exploded view...OK anyone what video extension will load here?

14. cosmoliu

cosmoliu Out on the slopes Skier

I LOVED my shock absorber poles! I fell on one and bent it, and you know how you can't straighten aluminum once it is crimped. I've never had the heart to toss that pole or its intact mate- both are still in my closet. I made a couple of passes at eBay to try to find a replacement over the years but haven't come up with one.

RickyG likes this.
  15. Thread Starter
    TS
    RickyG

upload_2019-4-1_11-9-43.png
    A request for an exploded view was made...here ya go...I do not think I'm so in love with this model set to make the complete document set. I'm onto a set of Geze 930s.

Attached Files:

Joal and Crudmaster like this.
  16. Crudmaster

Crudmaster tinyurl.com/pungjgt Skier

In the exploded view one can see the cool two-piece yellow plastic safety strap! Allsop's marketing info claimed that its design would reduce wind-milling of a released (or, by today's standards, not-so-released) ski. And the "Boot-in" was ubiquitous, even though at the time we still called it a "boot tree", as if the boots still needed their sole held flat during storage.

Uncle-A likes this.
  17. Joal

Nice work and interesting. Are those your own descriptors for the parts? Looks very technical and official. Now do rotating exploding gif :) just kidding but I do find it interesting not having any talent whatsoever with that kind of thing.

18. Joal

Can always keep an eye out if you want to post a picture or describe the graphics.

19. Thread Starter
    TS
    RickyG

Actually I have a AVI file of the explode and re-assemble but AVI will not load...any thoughts?

20. James

James Skiing the powder Instructor

You mean on this site? Either upload to youtube, or you can use google drive.