Mid-Atlantic Allegheny Mountain Region

Discussion in 'General Resort Discussion' started by LaurelHillCraze, Dec 29, 2018.

1. scottyb

scottyb Getting on the lift Skier

Be careful at CVR, last year they opened a bunch of trails that had ZERO base and 6" of snow. I had a double eject at the bottom of a run due to sparse cover while slopes with good base were closed.

2. Coach13

Coach13 Out on the slopes Skier

CV should have the snowmaking in high gear. I just saw the Parsons weather and the high there thru Tuesday is about 25 degrees. They should also pick up some natural snow as well this weekend.

3. dbostedo

dbostedo Asst. Gathermeister-- Jackson Hole 2020 Moderator Team Gathermeister

Good tip... I'll probably stick to the groomers unless I can test some things or see others ski it.

They reported almost 5" overnight and 7" in 24 hours. :) Should be nice there tomorrow.

Coach13 likes this.
  4. jonc

jonc Booting up Skier

I was at 7springs over the weekend, rainy/foggy on Saturday but better Sunday. Giant steps was definitely not open, just Gunnar and North face on the back, plus the Nastar and lost boy. Not crowded at all either day.

This week they’ve had great conditions for snowmaking, looks like fun.

I agree the lift ticket prices are crazy.

5. Thread Starter
    TS
    LaurelHillCraze

LaurelHillCraze AKA Rob Davis Skier

The Laurel Highlands got about 6" overnight and throughout the day, up to another 7 inches predicted through the weekend. Rumors of Laurel's Lower Wildcat possible for Sunday. Today was winter at its finest if by finest you mean snow, gusting winds, low/no visibility, snowmaking spraying in your face. It was better than sitting at home.

Shawn C. and Coach13 like this.

6. dbostedo

Powder day at Canaan Valley today... at least on what's open... they didn't groom overnight in favor of snowmaking so there are only a few runs open. More likely to open later as they're working on them.

7" yesterday... couple more overnight and some lighter snow this morning. It's really nice where it's ankle deep or so.

But I didn't pay attention to the warnings above and did some rock skiing. My poor bases! Oh well... lunch then back to skiing. :)

scottyb, LaurelHillCraze and Coach13 like this.
  7. dbostedo

So I ran into someone in charge at Canaan Valley who was asking folks how their day was as they were un-booting. (Resort manager maybe? He was directing several other folks as he chatted with us...) Anyway, he said they waited until early morning to groom out the fresh and newly made snow, and had two groomers break down. They had them both running by mid-morning, but that kept them from opening as much terrain as they would have liked.

Should be great up there this weekend... 8-12" of snow predicted, and they made a ton the last couple of days.

And a quick pic... trip report and a bunch of pics to come... this was the drive up about 30 mins from the resort. Bit more snow than I was expecting!

20190111_083920.jpg

jimmy and scottyb like this.
  8. scottyb

9. dbostedo

I ran into @jimmy at the end of the day, and mentioned that "all skis are rock skis if you ski rocks with them". But I was on my Stocklis, which are decidely not my rock skis. :nono: Oh well - it's skiing! :D

scottyb likes this.
  10. scottyb

Take'm to Ian at Driftland. He and his Dad can fix them up right.

11. dbostedo

^^^
    I'm back in Fairfax already... just a day trip. A long one for me. They're not really that bad anyway. A bunch of gouges, but small and shallow ones. Didn't make any difference in skiing them.

12. scottyb

10-4, I like to tune mah own skis anyway.

I also like to eat doughnuts.

13. Smiller

Smiller Booting up Skier

6FF22333-B11F-4B5A-8F89-4238E09D6FD7.jpeg Great day at 7 Springs today. Even a few powder stashes to be found

scottyb and dbostedo like this.
  14. dbostedo

scottyb likes this.
  15. Thread Starter
    TS
    LaurelHillCraze

Laurel's groomers are broken but snow is made on Innsbruck and Lower Wildcat. They hope to have a groomer repaired and terrain open by Saturday.

16. dbostedo

^^^
    Maybe they should just drive one over from Hidden Valley... :doh:

17. Thread Starter
    TS
    LaurelHillCraze

They knocked down the whales on Lower and Innsbruck then turned loose the snow guns on top of that. They should be good to go by weekend if not sooner. The rest of the snowmaking trails were in excellent shape today. Some natural snow terrain could be in play this weekend. Laurel Run's accumulation has not been touched and it is a prime snow collector. Now with Lower open you can start on Laurel and finish on Lower. Dream still needs help from Ullr.

dbostedo likes this.
  18. dbostedo

Has Dream been open at all the last couple of seasons?

19. scottyb

20. scottyb

SS is getting lower Shays in shape to open. I am heading there on Thursday, may be a bit soon for it.

Really stoked on their snow making this year with Aspenflage whatever at the helm.

Glad I ditched the valley and got a pass for the Shoe even though its more time and gas.

Weather on Sat into Sun looks like R event now.