• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
CV should have the snowmaking in high gear. I just saw the Parsons weather and the high there thru Tuesday is about 25 degrees. They should also pick up some natural snow as well this weekend.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Be careful at CVR, last year they opened a bunch of trails that had ZERO base and 6" of snow. I had a double eject at the bottom of a run due to sparse cover while slopes with good base were closed.

Good tip... I'll probably stick to the groomers unless I can test some things or see others ski it.

CV should have the snowmaking in high gear. I just saw the Parsons weather and the high there thru Tuesday is about 25 degrees. They should also pick up some natural snow as well this weekend.

They reported almost 5" overnight and 7" in 24 hours. :) Should be nice there tomorrow.

jonc

Putting on skis
Skier
I haven't skied since I think the 26th or 27 th. Out at 7 Springs. Winter returns tonight! Hopefully around the clock snow making . Seven Springs has not been able to get all their runs covered. Goose Bumps still not open and Giant Boulder next to North Face has also not been opened. I think Giant Steps not open either.

Anyway they have a lot to cover and buff back up. Back in the day , recovering from mild rainy weather was achieved in a couple of days. Seven Springs can flow an unbelievable volume of water through their snow making system but no longer have the air compressor capacity to blow the whole mountain at once. Herman Dupre would lease additional diesel air compressors and new ownership doesn't do this.
The difference in snow making capabilities is very noticeable. That being said , Seven Springs will take advantage of every snow making window. I also have observed a reduction in the number of skiers in recent years. Granted I'm gone by lunch anymore unless it's really good , but the price of a day ticket I think has cut back the crowds.

I think the weekend ticket with tax is $92 !! Just unbelievable to me closing in on skiing out there nearly 40 years. Probably have in about 1,000 days there over the many years. Maybe 10 were memorable enough to have paid $90 !

I have run into Mark from the Dover, Ohio area out there this year. He's a real skier. Doesn't bitch about conditions and goes bell to bell !

I was at 7springs over the weekend, rainy/foggy on Saturday but better Sunday. Giant steps was definitely not open, just Gunnar and North face on the back, plus the Nastar and lost boy. Not crowded at all either day.

This week they’ve had great conditions for snowmaking, looks like fun.

I agree the lift ticket prices are crazy.

TS
Laurel Hill Crazie

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
The Laurel Highlands got about 6" overnight and throughout the day, up to another 7 inches predicted through the weekend. Rumors of Laurel's Lower Wildcat possible for Sunday. Today was winter at its finest if by finest you mean snow, gusting winds, low/no visibility, snowmaking spraying in your face. It was better than sitting at home.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Powder day at Canaan Valley today... at least on what's open... they didn't groom overnight in favor of snowmaking so there are only a few runs open. More likely to open later as they're working on them.

7" yesterday... couple more overnight and some lighter snow this morning. It's really nice where it's ankle deep or so.

But I didn't pay attention to the warnings above and did some rock skiing. My poor bases! Oh well... lunch then back to skiing. :)

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So I ran into someone in charge at Canaan Valley who was asking folks how their day was as they were un-booting. (Resort manager maybe? He was directing several other folks as he chatted with us...) Anyway, he said they waited until early morning to groom out the fresh and newly made snow, and had two groomers break down. They had them both running by mid-morning, but that kept them from opening as much terrain as they would have liked.

Should be great up there this weekend... 8-12" of snow predicted, and they made a ton the last couple of days.

And a quick pic... trip report and a bunch of pics to come... this was the drive up about 30 mins from the resort. Bit more snow than I was expecting!

20190111_083920.jpg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
I'm back in Fairfax already... just a day trip. A long one for me. They're not really that bad anyway. A bunch of gouges, but small and shallow ones. Didn't make any difference in skiing them.

TS
Laurel Hill Crazie

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Laurel's groomers are broken but snow is made on Innsbruck and Lower Wildcat. They hope to have a groomer repaired and terrain open by Saturday.

TS
Laurel Hill Crazie

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
They knocked down the whales on Lower and Innsbruck then turned loose the snow guns on top of that. They should be good to go by weekend if not sooner. The rest of the snowmaking trails were in excellent shape today. Some natural snow terrain could be in play this weekend. Laurel Run's accumulation has not been touched and it is a prime snow collector. Now with Lower open you can start on Laurel and finish on Lower. Dream still needs help from Ullr.

scottyb

Getting off the lift
Skier
SS is getting lower Shays in shape to open. I am heading there on Thursday, may be a bit soon for it.

Really stoked on their snow making this year with Aspenflage whatever at the helm.

Glad I ditched the valley and got a pass for the Shoe even though its more time and gas.

Weather on Sat into Sun looks like R event now.