• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Since there is now a Pocono Region thread I thought we could use an Allegheny Region thread covering resorts shown in the grape and brick shades in the map below.Geographically the region will extend west from Peak Resort's PA ski areas: Round Top, Liberty, and Whitetail, moving west to Blue Knob and the Seven Springs trio on the Laurel Ridge, Snowshoe along with Canaan Valley West Virginia to the south, and Holiday Valley to the north in western New York. These resorts draw from two marketing regions, The Pittsburgh/Cleveland and the DC/Baltimore markets. Crossover Mid-A posts are welcome including Southern Appalachia resorts in North Carolina and Virginia.

Timberline West Virginia has its very own thread: Timberline, WV resort's future?

260px-Cumberlandplateaumap.png

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't been out skiing yet. Biding my time and looking for a good snowmaking streak to get trail counts up in the Allegheny Region.:Cristmassnow:

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Since there is now a Pocono Region thread I thought we could use an Allegheny Region thread covering resorts shown in the grape and brick shades in the map below.Geographically the region will extend west from Peak Resort's PA ski areas: Round Top, Liberty, and Whitetail, moving west to Blue Knob and the Seven Springs trio on the Laurel Ridge, Snowshoe along with Canaan Valley West Virginia to the south, and Holiday Valley to the north in western New York. These resorts draw from two marketing regions, The Pittsburgh/Cleveland and the DC/Baltimore markets. Crossover Mid-A posts are welcome including Southern Appalachia resorts in North Carolina and Virginia.

Timberline West Virginia has its very own thread: Timberline, WV resort's future?

260px-Cumberlandplateaumap.png

Good call and it would include the Wisp in Western Md as well.

TS
Laurel Hill Crazie

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
I'm headed to Laurel today but low trail count. 7S is humming on Holiday rates, above my pay grade, but Eric has made a couple of treks there and Kathy and I skied 1 day frontside before Christmas. The Peak Resorts are slowly coming online but the weather has been too warm for protracted snowmaking and Laurel is operating on 3 maybe 4 compressors if they got the one repaired. They usually start with 6 so very low trail count.

Btw, we need a 7 springs gathering or at least a mini gathering.

We have this gathering planned but I'm up for meeting at just about any time. https://www.pugski.com/threads/mid-atlantic-gathering-in-western-pa-feb-1-4-2019.12085/

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
why no season pass? 700 for unlimited in the highlands means your 8th day of skiing would be free.....

TS
Laurel Hill Crazie

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
I'll get back to Seven Springs next week sometime. I hear Blue Knob has Mambo open down to the expressway triple. Laurel is still holding strong to Ski Top/Broadway/Deer Path intermediate cruise. Any word on Whitetail, Wisp, Liberty or Round Top? How about Holiday Valley?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been keeping an eye on Whitetail... they have two blues open - Angel Drop, which is always a focus and has the park at the bottom, and Fanciful which is in WROD mode. One long green in Sidewinder, and some beginner/teaching terrain.

Unfortunately, this is the main large green (Snow Park) that's usually a good sign of conditions :

snow.jpg

I'll probably head out somewhere next weekend, as long as their open, even just to WROD it up for a couple of hours.

Kcip

Booting up
Skier
I was at 7 Springs on 12/26. Sunny day in the mid-30s. I was surprised at the lack of crowds. 3 others and I arrived at around 9 and there were still plenty of spots in the main parking lot. We really didn't have to wait in line for any lifts. Everything that was open was in pretty good shape. Started out lapping the north face and then eventually made our way back to the front side. Got in about 10k vertical. Good first day of the season!

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'll get back to Seven Springs next week sometime. I hear Blue Knob has Mambo open down to the expressway triple. Laurel is still holding strong to Ski Top/Broadway/Deer Path intermediate cruise. Any word on Whitetail, Wisp, Liberty or Round Top? How about Holiday Valley?

I haven’t been up myself but my neighbor is at the Wisp and I’m told they have a decent amount of terrain open. I’d have to believe today’s rain put a beating on RT, Liberty and Whitetail. RT was already a mess on Sst. from what I’m told.

TS
Laurel Hill Crazie

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
After skiing Laurel’s Broadway nonstop over 2 days the family decided to hit Seven Springs. The Springs had backside North Face and Gunnar for their black diamond offerings along with the always popular the Alley terrain park. Lost Boy easiest from the top was open as well as Sunset (Nastar race course) all served by North Face Quad and the Gunnar HS 6. The front side Wagner-Stowe-Tyrol-Avalanche-Boomerang-Fawn-Philips and 2 top side terrain parks served by the Polar HS 6 and the Tyrol and Avalanche triple. Even the Blitzen triple was running serving Alpine Meadows, Deer Pass, North Face et.al.

There is nice acreage of machine made available at Seven Springs on this day. However, last night it was groomed wet and set up as frozen cord that only polished out and never soften as the day went on. It was wicked fast and a day for sharp edges. Fortunately for me I was on a pair of freshly tuned Volkl Mantra M5 demos from Peak Ski and Board, Gibsonia, PA. The Mantra has been in the Volkl line up forever with a reputation of solid hard snow performance despite its 96 mm girth. This year’s version garnered the “Gear of the Year” award from Ski magazine. The 177 I skied are 134-96-117, 19.8m radius, rocker-camber-rocker. It has a titanal metal frame along the outer edges, hollow in the middle. This is not an ultralight ski. On the frozen cord and Ice we skied all day, this ski just railed. Set an edge and go, easy to change direction, stable and smooth. despite the constant scraping and grating sound of metal on ice or what we ’round here call, “hardpack”.

We mostly bombed the backside skiing Gunnar most often but my son caught an adequate dose of the Alley and we hit the ice ring otherwise known as North Face a few times. We never really touched the front side except to return to the lodge. I was surprised that they were able to blow a little snow on the summit trails. There was a nice size weekday crowd there today. Day rate was $67.

TS
Laurel Hill Crazie

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Seven Springs and Hidden Valley are reporting their best December since 2010. https://triblive.com/local/regional...hidden-valley-report-best-december-since-2010

On a sad not, a snowboarder succumbed to his injuries and passed away a few days after a fall that resulted in head injury. https://triblive.com/local/regional/14467541-74/snowboarder-dies-after-injury-at-seven-springs

That is sad. I always wonder, though, why the articles don't explain a little more about what happened, as it might be instructive for others concerned with safety. They do mention he was on a green slope and wearing a helmet, but don't mention if he was skiing fast or hit a tree. Without those additional details, it may give an overly negative view of skiing or a view that the death was really inexplicable.

I suppose if no one actually saw they incident or they don't have an official report, they wouldn't want to speculate.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So I'm jones-ing too much and will ski on Friday regardless of conditions... So the question is....

Where should I ski on Friday?

Options I'm considering (under 3 hours from Fairfax, VA) :

Whitetail
Roundtop
Massanutten
Canaan Valley

Thoughts?

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So I'm jones-ing too much and will ski on Friday regardless of conditions... So the question is....

Where should I ski on Friday?

Options I'm considering (under 3 hours from Fairfax, VA) :

Whitetail
Roundtop
Massanutten
Canaan Valley

Thoughts?

I’m thinking Canaan Valley. They already have the best conditions as compared to the others and have a chance to get a little natural snowfall in the next day or so and more over the weekend. The next few nights are also supposed to be pretty cold so they should be able to catch up on their snowmaking as well. I may head down on Sat. if I can get some things cleared from my schedule.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
I haven't skied since I think the 26th or 27 th. Out at 7 Springs. Winter returns tonight! Hopefully around the clock snow making . Seven Springs has not been able to get all their runs covered. Goose Bumps still not open and Giant Boulder next to North Face has also not been opened. I think Giant Steps not open either.

Anyway they have a lot to cover and buff back up. Back in the day , recovering from mild rainy weather was achieved in a couple of days. Seven Springs can flow an unbelievable volume of water through their snow making system but no longer have the air compressor capacity to blow the whole mountain at once. Herman Dupre would lease additional diesel air compressors and new ownership doesn't do this.
The difference in snow making capabilities is very noticeable. That being said , Seven Springs will take advantage of every snow making window. I also have observed a reduction in the number of skiers in recent years. Granted I'm gone by lunch anymore unless it's really good , but the price of a day ticket I think has cut back the crowds.

I think the weekend ticket with tax is $92 !! Just unbelievable to me closing in on skiing out there nearly 40 years. Probably have in about 1,000 days there over the many years. Maybe 10 were memorable enough to have paid $90 !

I have run into Mark from the Dover, Ohio area out there this year. He's a real skier. Doesn't bitch about conditions and goes bell to bell !

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m thinking Canaan Valley. They already have the best conditions as compared to the others and have a chance to get a little natural snowfall in the next day or so and more over the weekend. The next few nights are also supposed to be pretty cold so they should be able to catch up on their snowmaking as well. I may head down on Sat. if I can get some things cleared from my schedule.
Just saw that Opensnow is showing 4-8" for Canaan tomorrow... I think that makes it the winner... plus I haven't been there in several years.

Anyone else going to be out there on Friday?

Sponsor

Staff online