• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, we did ski off the tram. It’s not what you think. There are lots of easier terrain off the tram. Probably not evident during the summer.

That photo was taken back in 1983. Our first time in Chamonix. European skiing was a bit rougher around the edges back then. We reserved a guide for a day to ski the glacier off the tram. It dumped more than a foot of snow on the scheduled day. Everything was closed and the guide had to cancel. Things cleared the next day. Couldn’t find a guide the next day so we took the tram up anyway. Needless to say, we were young and stupid. We followed couple other groups down the glacier. Had a great time. Knowing what I know now, we should’ve waited for a day when a local guide was available.

The most challenging part of the skiing the glacier was getting to it. After the tram, we had to go down a long set of metal stairs and walked along a rock tunnel before we saw day light. Then comes the interesting part. A long knife edge like ledge that was about 250 feet long with extremely steep and long drop offs on both sides. The ledge was may be about 18” wide. Wide enough for skier to trudge along single file on ski boots. There were several 1” thick re-bars with a loop on top set into the rock along one side of the ledge. Threaded through the top loops of re-bars was a very thick rope. About 1-1/4” in diameter. Skier would hold their skis on the shoulder with one hand, their poles with the other and trudge along holding the rope for dear life. Yeah, I know that is three hands. Not an easy task. Keep in mind the rope is only on one side of the ledge.

To kick it up a notch, there are several French dudes with half harness clipped to the rebars, stomping around the slope on the outside of the rope yelling something in French at everyone. Even without a translator, I can tell they are telling us to move our ass.

The run down the glacier was rather uneventful. Beautiful scenery.

I have seen a recent photo of the same access to the glacier. It is a platformed walkway about 6 feet wide with metal railing on both sides. Kinda takes the fun out of things.

Me on the platform off the tram. As I said, young and stupid. The view is just amazing.

View attachment 54829

Skiing the glacier. Beautiful scenery.

View attachment 54831

Some not so pretty stuff on the glacier.

View attachment 54833

Have gone back to Chamonix several other trips. But the first time always sticks in our mind.

We have been talking about a winter in Europe for a couple seasons now. Probably will happen in a few once we figure out the logistics.

Chamonix June 2008 - Our son celebrated his 10th birthday while we were there.
IMG_5830.JPG

IMG_5780.JPG

IMG_5816.JPG

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My first, and only, Yamaha was a YL-1. Wish I still had it. @Philpug remembers, um, dismounting it in an ungraceful manner but I don't recall that. If you took the pipes off that little 2-stoke 100cc motor sounded like hell unleashed. Note to self--wait for pipes to cool before removing. Still have the scar on my wrist from that stupidity.
Yamaha_YL1_1966.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My first, and only, Yamaha was a YL-1. Wish I still had it. @Philpug remembers, um, dismounting it in an ungraceful manner but I don't recall that. If you took the pipes off that little 2-stoke 100cc motor sounded like hell unleashed. Note to self--wait for pipes to cool before removing. Still have the scar on my wrist from that stupidity.
View attachment 54871
It was white. this incident happened, I guess around 1980-81 at a mutual friends house. It was the first time I rode a motorcycle and when you are 16ishh...nothing really matters regarding not knowing what the eff you are doing. I took it up the road and as I was scaring myself I tried to slow down. As I was taking a corner I realized that the kickstand was not all the way up. It caught and fortunately, there was a lawn to roll into. I returned the bike to @Andy Mink with a slight dent in the front fender and some grass stains. I have never driven a motorcycle since.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
It was white. this incident happened, I guess around 1980-81 at a mutual friends house. It was the first time I rode a motorcycle and when you are 16ishh...nothing really matters regarding not knowing what the eff you are doing. I took it up the road and as I was scaring myself I tried to slow down. As I was taking a corner I realized that the kickstand was not all the way up. It caught and fortunately, there was a lawn to roll into. I returned the bike to @Andy Mink with a slight dent in the front fender and some grass stains. I have never driven a motorcycle since.

We need a thread on motorcycle misadventures.

You just know a bunch of us have one. Mine was trail riding on an old 60 something Yamaha DT-1. I killed all of the witnesses so it can not be substantiated.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

You just know a bunch of us have one. Mine was trail riding on an old 60 something Yamaha DT-1. I killed all of the witnesses so it can not be substantiated.

When I was a kid, my parents wouldn’t let me learn to ski because they were afraid I’d break my leg.:(

When I got older, after learning to ski, my mom told me if I ever bought a motorcycle, she’d write me out of her will. So, I learned to ride a motorcycle, and bought a used 1983 Yamaha, 500cc. (And my mom was impressed)! It was a cool bike. I dumped it a few times, but had many adventures on it. It was a good teaching tool for basic engine mechanics. As it aged, I changed out a lot of parts myself. Later on, I bought a new, fancy bike (Ducati), but I have more fond memories of the old Yamaha.

I never knew they made skis. I wonder why they stopped. I have always wanted a Yamaha grand piano, though.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
That would make a great poster.

Thanks. It caused a bit of a tiff at home when I got it. A Val D'Isere local that was friends of Andy, Karl and some of my longer term teammates took the photo and mailed it to me after my accident. My wife didn't like that a woman was taking the pictures. :huh:

Oh well. Ancient history.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive

So, in 1970-1972, I had a very cool bike. A BSA Victor 441. One cylinder. I got it through my older brother. The movie "The Thomas Crown Affair" with Steve McQueen was filmed in our town, I think in 1966. Movie production was a lot different in those days, and my 20 year old brother was hired to do a bunch of work that summer. He was a decent motocross rider, and one of his "jobs" was as an extra on a bike. We think that he is in about 10 seconds of the movie. They trashed a LOT of bikes. I just remember his borrowing a truck from my uncle, and arriving home with, I think, four identical semi-basket cases. He's a mechanical guy, as was my dad, and I was too, at 13. Project time a year later in the barn. With a few extra parts purchased {a couple of wheels, I recall}, we made two bikes out of the wrecks.

My mother was not eager to have me start to ride on the road. My dad kept trying to get her to calm down. It actually made things easier for her, and him, as I could get a motorcycle license a year before my car license, drive myself around, etc. I was away at school, so it was mostly summer, and some weekends. We lived in a rural town, with some great roads for riding, and not much traffic. And a very sleepy police force. What could go wrong? The bike was pretty distinctive. And it had a sweet sound.

One weekend in the late spring I was home for a weekend, and was riding at {for me} a pretty slow pace, maybe 35 mph. Our of nowhere this BIG German Shepard comes running at me, at a right angle. I should have nailed the throttle when I saw him. Instead I slowed, and I hit him dead center with my front wheel. A 120 lb, dog stops a bike on the spot. I when over the handlebars, and flew a long ways, about 30 feet. Broke my collarbone, demolished my helmet, and trashed a suede jacket which protected me. All considered, lucky. The dog was fine a couple of weeks later. Chasing cars a couple of months later!

When my mother arrived at the hospital, I beat her to the punch, told her that I was going to repair it, and sell it right away. Which I did. My brother kept his for quite a while. I never rode it. Now dirt bikes, with no pavement, was a very different story.

History repeats itself. Our son has a BMW airhead that's for sale right now. He's ridden a lot, but he has not been able to ride as much as he would like over the past 3-4 years. He feels that he's just not as "sharp" on the road on a bike as he would like to be. Has to think these days. Not as much second nature. Plus he lives in an area with a TON of distracted tourists in the riding months. He said "just not worth it, now. For sale!" Mom is happy.

Plus his very serious GF really hates it. She fakes it like she doesn't, but the relationship is far enough along that she can come clean. Prefers four wheels to two.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Mine was a Yamaha DT-1 250CC one of the real original motocross bikes. I was about 17 living in Anchorage 1970 or so. When I got the bike it was running okay but pretty well down the trail for salvage. Only toy I have ever owned where I got a ticket for excessive noise in my garage. It had some carboration issue where when it got a load on the engine, it would just bog down and die.

I was out riding a power line in the Chugach mountains behind town, riding solo of course because I was a young idiot. Climbing a really major grade and it bogged down and died. I tomahawked down the hill a few headstands and stopped myself. This was like the 3rd or 4th time it lugged out that day, so not a very happy camper. Climbed back up to that bike from hell and got it running got it pointed down the hill while I stood next to it. held the clutch and brake put it in gear revved up to as close to redline as I dared and turned it loose. It went a surprisingly long ways down the hill before the flippy twisty stuff started happening. Took my helmet off and started walking for town.

For all I know the remains of that bike are still out there.

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
Had a pair of Yamaha Racers(?) a junior racing ski back in the late 60's, they were black and yellow, sort of a Dynamic looking clone and my brother had the All Around's

I remember liking the skis but wishing they were VR17's

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
007.JPG
007.JPG
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
008.JPG

These arrived this afternoon ...
Fresh out of their shipping box .

1976 !
What were you doing in 1976/1977 ?

For once , for once ... the bindings fit my boots !
No redrilling required .
This will be fun to ride ...
Too stiff for powder but excellent on hard pack .
The usual slopes conditions here .

I am soooo glad ...
After Spalding , Yamaha would be my favorite ski brand .

Snow tonight ... snow tomorrow ... if you believe the weather channels ...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
View attachment 83890 View attachment 83890 View attachment 83891 View attachment 83892 View attachment 83893 View attachment 83894 View attachment 83895 View attachment 83897

These arrived this afternoon ...
Fresh out of their shipping box .

1976 !
What were you doing in 1976/1977 ?

For once , for once ... the bindings fit my boots !
No redrilling required .
This will be fun to ride ...
Too stiff for powder but excellent on hard pack .
The usual slopes conditions here .

I am soooo glad ...
After Spalding , Yamaha would be my favorite ski brand .

Snow tonight ... snow tomorrow ... if you believe the weather channels ...
Be careful with the bindings, those heels are prone to explode

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
Be careful with the bindings, those heels are prone to explode

Yes , I am aware of it ...
But I am willing to take a chance : it will not be the first *&?$%* plastic binding to break under my weight , the worse being the white ones .
It usually happens when I put the skis on .

By the way , what about the Salomon 957 ... do you think they are worse than these ?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes , I am aware of it ...
But I am willing to take a chance : it will not be the first *&?$%* plastic binding to break under my weight , the worse being the white ones .
It usually happens when I put the skis on .

By the way , what about the Salomon 957 ... do you think they are worse than these ?
It it is a worm heel 957E, I would have no problem skiing that...even on any ski..a regular 957...ehh...but I would have more confidence in either them than that Look heel.

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
''Safety Last'' , Phil , as they say at Jskis .

Tried them yesterday evening ... I survived !

It was kid of ''Back to the Future'' ... very heavy skis , very responsive , made to go fast .
I wish I could have a slope to myself but sadly , all these little families with kids ... and one intermediate slope open ...
The bindings held !
Maybe I am lucky ... plastic is a fickle material after all these years . But it is worth it !

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG

I forgot these ... found a few months ago ...
Too small for me and it is a shame because I would have loved to go down '' the Pustule '' in full Yamaha .

Anyway it will not be for today nor tomorrow because the monsoon took away all our snow . This much rain here in December is not good : remember the weather guys were saying that the winter would be exceptionally cold with record snow !!
That's what happen when you legalize drug usage ... the clouds the meteo people see are mostly THC ...

Well ... you have to be zen ...
remontée.JPG

Sponsor