• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
IMG_6491.JPG

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not a great photo of me, but a nice photo of my Yamaha Paramount Customs back in '78. Had to get the 210cm, but could not exactly turn them...
IMG_6495.JPG

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Yamaha The Total Ski.jpg

Web Photo

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Never skied a Yamaha ski..would like to have. Anyone here ski one...err two?

I left the Dakotas with a pair of Yamaha skis and a pair of Rosemount boots, (no jet six mounted yet ;-)

Here is what I can say about the skis.

They were about palm high over my head.
They were yellow with the crossed tuning fork logo
they had screw in edges and bindings with long thongs
They were about right for me at the time.
I sort of smiled when a length of edge pulled out while skiing Vails front side. With a little thought, and a map, I could put a finger on the spot where I stood bending the hanging edge back and forth to get it to break away. ;-)

That was some time ago, but these experiences stick with a fellow ;-)

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Had a pair of high flex in the early 70's-white bought them used but figured I could not tear them up too bad if they would guarantee them from people backing over them in the driveway. (One of there old adds). Busted up two pair of Fischers prior to that so thought I might have better luck. Put some Miller bindings on them from my summer job money. Don't really remembered how they skied though, think my mom sold them at a yd sale after I left home! Yamaha makes good stuff - have an old classical acoustic guitar G-50A made 1968-71. Rescued from an abused home. If I remember correctly, Yamaha began as a musical instrument manufacturer. The logo is three crossed tuning forks. Had a couple of their bikes too.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Coolest bike I ever had.. So cool I had to go find another one last summer. Got this bad boy hanging in my shed right now..
1975 Yamaha Moto-Bike

7dc39c53401d219d5fdce4d88417c18c--for-girls-vintage-bikes.jpg

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Coolest bike I ever had.. So cool I had to go find another one last summer. Got this bad boy hanging in my shed right now..
1975 Yamaha Moto-Bike

Meant the kind with the twist grip go fast- like yours though!!-Any skinned knees?

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
Mint Yamahas, 210 late 1960s, bindings mounted for about a 355 bsl, 170s early 1970s.

DSC04594.JPG

DSC04596.JPG

Nevada made in Japan
DSC04600.JPG

Fairly hefty cant on the shorties and would bet they have never been on snow. Wonder what happened.
DSC04598.JPG

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
My sister-in-law is the only person I know that had a pair of Yamaha skis. She liked them. Said they were pretty light and agile.

Aiguille du Midi, Chamonix, 1983.
View attachment 10897 The

Did you actually ski up there, or were you headed over to the Italian side from Chamonix? That's some Greg Stump gnarly terrain up there. My family and I have been up to the Aguille Du Midi, but only for the site seeing. You need ropes, a guide -- that type of thing on top.

Chamonix avalanche - Petersen.jpg

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, we did ski off the tram. It’s not what you think. There are lots of easier terrain off the tram. Probably not evident during the summer.

That photo was taken back in 1983. Our first time in Chamonix. European skiing was a bit rougher around the edges back then. We reserved a guide for a day to ski the glacier off the tram. It dumped more than a foot of snow on the scheduled day. Everything was closed and the guide had to cancel. Things cleared the next day. Couldn’t find a guide the next day so we took the tram up anyway. Needless to say, we were young and stupid. We followed couple other groups down the glacier. Had a great time. Knowing what I know now, we should’ve waited for a day when a local guide was available.

The most challenging part of the skiing the glacier was getting to it. After the tram, we had to go down a long set of metal stairs and walked along a rock tunnel before we saw day light. Then comes the interesting part. A long knife edge like ledge that was about 250 feet long with extremely steep and long drop offs on both sides. The ledge was may be about 18” wide. Wide enough for skier to trudge along single file on ski boots. There were several 1” thick re-bars with a loop on top set into the rock along one side of the ledge. Threaded through the top loops of re-bars was a very thick rope. About 1-1/4” in diameter. Skier would hold their skis on the shoulder with one hand, their poles with the other and trudge along holding the rope for dear life. Yeah, I know that is three hands. Not an easy task. Keep in mind the rope is only on one side of the ledge.

To kick it up a notch, there are several French dudes with half harness clipped to the rebars, stomping around the slope on the outside of the rope yelling something in French at everyone. Even without a translator, I can tell they are telling us to move our ass.

The run down the glacier was rather uneventful. Beautiful scenery.

I have seen a recent photo of the same access to the glacier. It is a platformed walkway about 6 feet wide with metal railing on both sides. Kinda takes the fun out of things.

Me on the platform off the tram. As I said, young and stupid. The view is just amazing.

img572.jpg

Skiing the glacier. Beautiful scenery.

1983_Ski_Europe (122).jpg

Some not so pretty stuff on the glacier.

1983_Ski_Europe (53).jpg

Have gone back to Chamonix several other trips. But the first time always sticks in our mind.

We have been talking about a winter in Europe for a couple seasons now. Probably will happen in a few once we figure out the logistics.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Chamonix is the most spectacular place I've ever been. We were there in June and it looked like winter. There were people going down that ridge all roped together.

Wish we would have done something like that at the time.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Chamonix is amazing. First skied there at nine, when we lived in Switzerland. My dad and mother had skied there, climbed and hiked there many times before. Skiing pretty much all of it, at a young age {regardless of how well you skied} was a trip that I have never forgotten. We were in Switzerland for six years, and we skied ALL of the season. I went to school in the Alps during the winter. There is a lot that I can't remember much. I remember Chamonix, Zermatt, and a few others very well. Plus....we've been back.

Back on topic. I had a deal with Yamaha when I was first out of college and coaching in the late 70's. I probably had 6-8 pairs of Paramount SL and GS. I loved the ski. Incredibly well built. Bases that just sucked up and held wax. Top quality edges, and not shy on material. Great skis. They retreated from the US market, and that was that. If I had ever had to buy them, and certainly buy them at retail, I never could have done it. I can't recall the exact price points at that time, but they were the most expensive skis on the wall.

Good memories.

Sponsor