• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My family had been on Volkl since the early 80's. Had some great times on them. This was taken on a trip to the PNW.

Crystal Mountain, March 1990.
Four pairs of Volkl on top of a rental car. The yellow P9 SL on the end is mine. The red P9 RS belongs to my sister-in-lawL. The two purple Explosiv RS belongs to Mamie and her brother-in-law.
Spyder 01.jpg

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
SKIING Feb 1969 - Volkl - Pugski.jpg

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
IMG_1170.JPG

In what have become known as the Karma Skis, Swerve (from TGR) was awesome to send these to me for nada after I stepped aside from buying a pair of Explosiv2's he needed complete his Explosiv collection, Northern Ski Works put a wicked WC tune on em & an intern at work hand painted the chips...

190's brought back to life; Flexons appeared the most appropriate boots.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
View attachment 17606

In what have become known as the Karma Skis, Swerve (from TGR) was awesome to send these to me for nada after I stepped aside from buying a pair of Explosiv2's he needed complete his Explosiv collection, Northern Ski Works put a wicked WC tune on em & an intern at work hand painted the chips...

What happened to the liners for those Flexon boots?

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
SKIING Nov 1970

A really good ski for the day. In the GS version, they would do everything. All of my buddies were on Stratos and Kniesels, these were much tripier and that counted back then. Skied them in AK mounted with Salomon 505's.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
View attachment 17606

So I brought these in to cheer up a recovering client......

Later, I came into work to find a rather long ski bag near my desk & a message that I needed to 'man up'.
Dude brought me a pair of mint vintage 200 cm Volkl CrossRangers.......

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
The yellow undrilled just says '25 limited edition' but I assumes 25th anniversary, but of what. The earliest Volkl ad I have seen was from the early 60s but Volkl is much older than that. Perhaps just entry into the American market.

205 200 200 205
DSC04402.JPG

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
OH, Zebras ! Such a marvelous ski that just never get too much love, and it should have.
I thought they got a lot of love, the problem was Volkl back then were priced higher that most other skis, they were THE premium brand.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What happened to the liners for those Flexon boots?
Liners are for wimps;). Those aren't Fexons, they are either Kneissl's or Full Tilt's. Flexons didn't come on that color combo. :ogcool:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
The yellow undrilled just says '25 limited edition' but I assumes 25th anniversary, but of what. The earliest Volkl ad I have seen was from the early 60s but Volkl is much older than that. Perhaps just entry into the American market.

205 200 200 205
View attachment 28684

The Zebra and Tiger are such classic graphics!!! Instantly identifiable as Volkl for the necessary brand recognition. Ski manufactures used to know how to do these things... :wag:
Now (most brands) not so much :doh: :huh: :(

Last edited:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
I thought they got a lot of love, the problem was Volkl back then were priced higher that most other skis, they were THE premium brand.

In its day Zebra retailed at about $200, and Tigers were about $175(?) (as this foggy brain recalls). Yes Zebras were expensive but about the same as the Javelin.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
It's pretty amazing to think back about 30 years. I had a few pairs of Vokl P9 RS Supers {which had the better layup}. As I recall MSRP {when the sold darn close to it} was about $650. I had a couple of pairs of Explosiv and those were around $500 at MSRP. Luckily I was getting them for much less.

But yes, they were a premium brand! Scary that Yamaha was even more expensive.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
My ski bud @TimD59 found these near mint skis for me at a garage sale in Omaha.

Petersen W-Cup Volkl.jpg

Petersen W-Cup Volkl 2.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

gwat

Putting on skis
Skier
IMG_2430.JPG

I just got these Competitions.
I've never heard of these.
I'm guessing Competition is the bump ski linup?

Don

Booting up
Skier
Been skiing Volkl since way back the '80s. Think I've gone thru about 17 pairs. Still have 4 pairs in my quiver.

Mrs. Grump's first pair of Volkl Targa - April 1987 at Alta.

View attachment 10354
Cool, my first Volkl was a Targa, still have it. The guy who sold them to me, told me when I demoed them, "Be careful, these are more addictive than crack cocaine!"