• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
FREEZE Dec 1997 - Volant - Pugski - Petersen.jpg

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
SKIING Sept 1998 - Volant - Pugski - Petersen.jpg

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Volant was actually making some DH skis for Head to test back in the mid 90's. So may Volant's bent in the shovel, I truly think they were the inspiration for early rise or rocker.

Thanks for the chuckle. I have bent way too many pairs of Volants too. Unfortunately the bends usually resulted in a very "early" rise that starts right after the binding toe. They ski really funky now.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for the chuckle. I have bent way too many pairs of Volants too. Unfortunately the bends usually resulted in a very "early" rise that starts right after the binding toe. They ski really funky now.
I never bent any full metal jackets but I did bend every pair of the carbon sidewall ones I had.

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG

Found last Saturday ...
I never had Volant skis ... they were impossible to find here at the time and had to be brought from the US
And today , 2019 , here they are .
I was never impressed by Volant as hey seem so skimpy but , who knows ??
Obviously these , made in the US , are better than the Atomic made ones ... or not ??

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I never had Volant skis ... they were impossible to find here at the time and had to be brought from the US
And today , 2019 , here they are .
I was never impressed by Volant as hey seem so skimpy but , who knows ??
Obviously these , made in the US , are better than the Atomic made ones ... or not ??

Unlike the Atomic ones, ^those are full steel jacket.

Which means they are thinner (top to bottom) than the Atomic ones, lighter than the Atomic ones and harder to drill into than the Atomic ones.

On the upside they are very damp, damper than the V2 - very nice on ice. They are also quite easy to bend and deform. Don't stuff the tips into the topside of a bump.

How long are those?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
On the upside, those were still boot toe on the line, and those holes should fit a Z toepiece.

(Assuming it was done properly in the first place - NOT a given).
Toe, yes but not the heel.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I still reminisce about the feel of a nice steel Volant cutting through the snow. It truly was a special kind of ski construction.
Yes, they were a smooth ride and cut through the crud with ease. Mine were 188 and it was like riding in a limo.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Found these in a ski swap free bin:
What model?

I still reminisce about the feel of a nice steel Volant cutting through the snow. It truly was a special kind of ski construction.
Yes, they were a smooth ride and cut through the crud with ease. Mine were 188 and it was like riding in a limo.

Doubt if I would feel the same now but at the time I thought mine were the best crud ski ever!
Can’t remember exactly what they were, does T3 Powertrack sound familiar?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
What model?

Doubt if I would feel the same now but at the time I thought mine were the best crud ski ever!
Can’t remember exactly what they were, does T3 Powertrack sound familiar?
Well you have to figure that the technology is different today and trying to compare them is really not a fair comparison..

Sponsor