• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
All Things Toni Sailer

Toni Sailer Skis

SKI Jan 1970 - Toni Sailer - Pugski - Petersen.jpg

SKI Sept 1969 - Toni Sailer - Pugski.jpg

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
SKIING Nov 1966 - Toni Sailer - Pugski .jpg

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
SKIING Dec 1968 - Toni Sailer - Pugski.jpg

SKIING Dec 1967 - Toni Sailer - Pugski.jpg

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
SKIING oct 1968 - Toni Sailer - Pugski.jpg

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
Cubcos on a pair of Sailers? How is that even possible?

Seriously, my wife took a run or two on a pair of Sailers while working as an Instructor and shop person in Colorado back in the day. She was not impressed, maybe because of her devotion to Head Skis at that time. I believe she was impressed by Mr. Sailer, in a good way.

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
Somewhere there is a Tony Sailer waiting for me ... a pair of 210 cm ... like my first skis ... $25 at the time ... had Salomon 404 on and one toe was wobbly ... but I had a lot of fun ... until I fell and broke one in two ...
Sad ... very sad ...

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Put a few days in on Tony Sailer Whites the winter of 67 or 68. Perhaps the worst ski I ever skied to this day. Had been teaching a couple of years by then and working in shops so had a fair understanding of gear and how it should perform and and these did not do it well. Took a scraper to a few pairs in a shop and have never seen bases so weirdly concave, must have been the structure.

63? went to a race camp that was run by Andrele Molitor and Eric Sailer He took a fire hose to the hill and we learned to ski ice. If memory serves he skied Kastle SL's VERY WELL.

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
I was skiing powder and , at the bottom of the slope , I fell . The tip of one ski hit the snow and sheared , straight as if I had used a saw !!

But the best thing about the Sailer was that when I was picking them up and turning them this was and that , it was possible to hear the foan granules slipping inside the channels ... like these '' rain sticks '' they sell !!!
It was totally weird ...

I like skiing old skis but I would like to own a pair of Toni Sailer for the memory ... my first skis and paid with my own money earned by washing the dishes at school .

One of these days a pair will appear in front of me , for sure !

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I had a pair of Tony Sailor skis when I was a teenager in the mid 60s, white with his signature and they were horrible. I bought them at a Towers department store and they skied like a department storse ski.

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
SAIL1.JPG
SAIL2.JPG
SAIL3.JPG
SAIL4.JPG
SAIL5.JPG
SAIL6.JPG
SAIL7.JPG
SAIL8.JPG
SAIL9.JPG
SAIL10.JPG
SAIL11.JPG
SAIL12.JPG
SAIL13.JPG
SAIL14.JPG

Gentlemen ......

A while ago , here , on this page , I said that there was - somewhere - a pair of Toni Sailer 210 cm for me ....

I finally found it ...
In fact , I found two pairs !
But one is stuck in N.H. and I can't access it for now because of the Covid .
I did not want to talk about it until they were in my hands .

Today , I received the second pair , straight from Calgary .

They have been skied , obviously , but they are kind of brand new considering the pictures I posted .
So good , in fact , that the Salomon are compatible with my boots and I expect to make a few turns at the bottom of a slope next winter .
Any slope ... there is a rumor that the ski hills will not be permitted to open next winter in our province ... to be seen ...

The story , now :

I was a boarder in a catholic school ... my parents were hoping to make a priest out of me ... lucky my libido kicked in early ... my faith is absolute zero.
But the school was the best in the province and it was a rich aunt who was paying the tuition and board . We were - my family - poor as Job .
At the time , I was working in the school cafeteria , making 25 cents a meal to wask the dishes . I was working a lot ... believe me ...
At noon , I was walking out to visit the local bookstore and read the back of books I could not afford .
One day , looking at the mags ,SKIING got my attention because of the girl on the cover . I bought the mag and went back to school ...
Later that day , after the mandatory study time , I was looking at the pictures ..
The son of the then provincial prime minister and his friends came behind me and looked at what I was reading ...
They started laughing at me right away !
- '' Banville ... you are fat and your parents are dirt poor ... stop dreaming ! You will never ski on a slope ... you would be too big to make a turn and too afraid of the speed people go... go back to reading mysteries ... ''
More laughing and they were gone !!!!!!!!!

I was so angry ... so angry I could kill ... my parents were poor and my father was drinking but my mother was exceptional and I had a first-class mind.

That Friday I took the ferry - the school was on the opposite side of the St Laurent - then the bus and stopped at the Nap Coté sports store . I went in and checked the skis on sale ... there was that white pair , alone , at $25 ... the cheapest of the bunch . The guy told me that the Toni Sailer would be perfect for me at 210 cm and even if they were - then - older skis , they could last me a long time . And he gave me a pair of Salomon 404 to sweeten the deal ....
I was surprised because , when I was playing with the skis , they emitted a sound like the ''rain sticks'' you buy South of the border .
The foam had somewhat crumbled ....

I walked all the way to my home , a long way , with my new skis on my shoulder .
Now I would show them , these rich *&?%&*&

My father was not happy , to say the least !
Later that summer , I bought a pair of blue Kastinger boots .

In December , I started skiing at the Mt Hibou .
The bunny slope was terrifying and the skis would not turn...
I was in ''downhill to Hell'' mode all the time !
No lessons ... no money ...
Until , one day , it just clicked !
I was turning easily and even going faster after a turn .

The next season , I was accepted in the ski patrol , proof that I had improved at quantum speed .
The Toni Sailer broke that winter : the tip kind of separated from the rest of the ski and I had to throw them away ...
I was very sad : it was the first thing I had bought with my own money for my own pleasure .
I next got some Blizzard Firebird Racer but it was not the same as the Toni Sailer ... by that time I had more money ...

The rich kids ?
The Blizzard year , we had an outing to Stoneham , a bigger hill . No one from school had ever seen me ski ... That day , I was on fire ... I was going lighting fast forward and backward , jumping , cruising ... with my ski patrol jacket ...
I even went in the chair with some cuties from another school ...
Skiing was to be my way out of the inpecunious , indigent , life !

Yesterday , I retired at 65 ... I had been working since I was 12 .
I will need to work again because I want to travel , to ski , to surf ...
But I worked all over the place , I travelled all over , I skied , I climbed , I surfed ...
All this started with a pair of damaged Toni Sailer .
The most difficult canadian pair of skis to find now .

Yesterday I retired and today I receive the Toni Sailer's .
Is it Karma ? Strange Attractors as in quantum theory ?
Anyway , I am pretty happy !

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
@LeVieuxCrouton, those white TS skis were the exact same that I bought new in the 1960s and I couldn't get them to turn either.
Those Salomon 404 bindings were obsolete in the early 70s...so be careful.

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
Only two or three turns at the bottom of a slope ... I have more than enough skis to play with in the house - 178 pairs to be exact - and I don't want to break the Toni Sailer .
The Toni Sailer were kind of impossible to turn , worse than the 220 downhill skis I own . They would require a lot of power to initiate a turn and to get out of it . After the Sailer's , everything was feeling easy.
As far as Canadian ski history , the Toni Sailer are THE gem .
I am very proud to own a pair ( and maybe two ) ...

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
By the way , these are not 404 but Salomon 500 ... At the time the guy gave me S404 bindings ... but these Toni Sailer are mounted with Salomon 500

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
View attachment 106850 View attachment 106851 View attachment 106852 View attachment 106853 View attachment 106854 View attachment 106855 View attachment 106856 View attachment 106857 View attachment 106858 View attachment 106859 View attachment 106860 View attachment 106861 View attachment 106862 View attachment 106863

Gentlemen ......

A while ago , here , on this page , I said that there was - somewhere - a pair of Toni Sailer 210 cm for me ....

I finally found it ...

They have been skied , obviously , but they are kind of brand new considering the pictures I posted .
So good , in fact , that the Salomon are compatible with my boots and I expect to make a few turns at the bottom of a slope next winter .
Any slope ... there is a rumor that the ski hills will not be permitted to open next winter in our province ... to be seen ...

The story , now :

I was a boarder in a catholic school ... my parents were hoping to make a priest out of me ... lucky my libido kicked in early ... my faith is absolute zero.
But the school was the best in the province and it was a rich aunt who was paying the tuition and board . We were - my family - poor as Job .
At the time , I was working in the school cafeteria , making 25 cents a meal to wask the dishes . I was working a lot ... believe me ...
At noon , I was walking out to visit the local bookstore and read the back of books I could not afford .
One day , looking at the mags ,SKIING got my attention because of the girl on the cover . I bought the mag and went back to school ...
Later that day , after the mandatory study time , I was looking at the pictures ..
The son of the then provincial prime minister and his friends came behind me and looked at what I was reading ...
- '' Banville ... you are fat and your parents are dirt poor ... stop dreaming ! You will never ski on a slope ... you would be too big to make a turn and too afraid of the speed people go... go back to reading mysteries ... ''

I was so angry ... so angry I could kill ... my parents were poor and my father was drinking but my mother was exceptional and I had a first-class mind.

That Friday I took the ferry - the school was on the opposite side of the St Laurent - then the bus and stopped at the Nap Coté sports store . I went in and checked the skis on sale ... there was that white pair , alone , at $25 ... the cheapest of the bunch . The guy told me that the Toni Sailer would be perfect for me at 210 cm and even if they were - then - older skis , they could last me a long time . And he gave me a pair of Salomon 404 to sweeten the deal ....
I was surprised because , when I was playing with the skis , they emitted a sound like the ''rain sticks'' you buy South of the border .

I walked all the way to my home , a long way , with my new skis on my shoulder .

The next season , I was accepted in the ski patrol , proof that I had improved at quantum speed .
The Toni Sailer broke that winter : the tip kind of separated from the rest of the ski and I had to throw them away ...
I was very sad : it was the first thing I had bought with my own money for my own pleasure .
I next got some Blizzard Firebird Racer but it was not the same as the Toni Sailer ... by that time I had more money ...

The rich kids ?
The Blizzard year , we had an outing to Stoneham , a bigger hill . No one from school had ever seen me ski ... That day , I was on fire ... I was going lighting fast forward and backward , jumping , cruising ... with my ski patrol jacket ...

But I worked all over the place , I travelled all over , I skied , I climbed , I surfed ...

That is sweet!

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
View attachment 106850 View attachment 106851 View attachment 106852 View attachment 106853 View attachment 106854 View attachment 106855 View attachment 106856 View attachment 106857 View attachment 106858 View attachment 106859 View attachment 106860 View attachment 106861 View attachment 106862 View attachment 106863

Gentlemen ......

I finally found it ...

The story , now :

The rich kids ?

what a great telling of a tale

Sponsor

Staff online