• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
If you ever want to get rid of the Formidable and the ?? Star Dotted Spalding ( what are they ? ) , let me know !

Lowell Watson

Making skis sharp and slippery
Skier
If you ever want to get rid of the Formidable and the ?? Star Dotted Spalding ( what are they ? ) , let me know !
The Starboards and the Formidable are part of the permanent collection. If I come across any more I will keep you in mind. If you want the drilled spectral, I will send them, but they are 185.

Mack

Getting off the lift
Skier
Spalding Sideral 205cm GS.
MACK.
IMG_7162 (2).jpg

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Ski Oct 1975 Spalding Caber - Pugski - Dave Petersen.jpg

SKI Nov 1975 - Spalding Spread - Pugski.jpg

Woody

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi Dave!! Where might I locate the "starting gate" poster for my black squads? My mom threw mine away 30+ years ago ... and now I need this poster for my workout room. I still have these sticks hanging on the display rack (with BLACK spring MRRs mounted on them). Sweet package, but will probably never ride them again. Pushing 60 years old. (p.s., I also studied geology for BS degree, but later got masters in civil engineering. Still marvel at knowing about the origins of mountains that I see.)

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi Dave!! Where might I locate the "starting gate" poster for my black squads? My mom threw mine away 30+ years ago ... and now I need this poster for my workout room. I still have these sticks hanging on the display rack (with BLACK spring MRRs mounted on them). Sweet package, but will probably never ride them again. Pushing 60 years old. (p.s., I also studied geology for BS degree, but later got masters in civil engineering. Still marvel at knowing about the origins of mountains that I see.)

Hi -- check with Richard Allen at Vintage Ski World. He would be your best bet! If he doesn't have the original poster, I know he has a big printer and may be able to print one.

https://www.vintageskiworld.com/ski...MIoOOmt-aV3gIVlbjACh1KRgkxEAAYASAAEgI4o_D_BwE

Woody

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi -- check with Richard Allen at Vintage Ski World. He would be your best bet! If he doesn't have the original poster, I know he has a big printer and may be able to print one.

https://www.vintageskiworld.com/ski...MIoOOmt-aV3gIVlbjACh1KRgkxEAAYASAAEgI4o_D_BwE
Thanks for the tip, Dave.

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
009.JPG
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG
008.JPG
011.JPG

Found yesterday ....
Too late to try them on the snow !
I just cleaned them and ajusted the bindings for my Salomon SX-91 Equipe

These are from 1986 and are in good overall shape .
Enough to ski powder next year .... in fact enough to burn the slopes of the little ski hill I go to .
The 09 means it is the Slalom version so it should be perfect for deep powder ... next year !

It is a shame , throwing away perfectly good skis . I got them for $9.99 Cdn .
The bindings are bombproof and should do the job even if I hate Marker .
If I could reach out the general public , I would try to save every pair over 2 meters : give me your ski and I will find them a place forever .

Spalding is my favorite ski brand ....
All I have to find now are Sideral and Formidable .... that can still be skied .

My ultimate goal is finding a pair of Toni Sailer - my first pair of skis - but I am dreaming there !

But what is life without dreams ?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I always thought that Blossom should have marketed their skis in the U.S. as Squadra or Sideral as a homage to their Spaulding heritage.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
View attachment 72173 View attachment 72174 View attachment 72175 View attachment 72176 View attachment 72177 View attachment 72178 View attachment 72179 View attachment 72180 View attachment 72181 View attachment 72182

Found yesterday ....
Too late to try them on the snow !
I just cleaned them and ajusted the bindings for my Salomon SX-91 Equipe

These are from 1986 and are in good overall shape .
Enough to ski powder next year .... in fact enough to burn the slopes of the little ski hill I go to .
The 09 means it is the Slalom version so it should be perfect for deep powder ... next year !

It is a shame , throwing away perfectly good skis . I got them for $9.99 Cdn .
The bindings are bombproof and should do the job even if I hate Marker .
If I could reach out the general public , I would try to save every pair over 2 meters : give me your ski and I will find them a place forever .

Spalding is my favorite ski brand ....
All I have to find now are Sideral and Formidable .... that can still be skied .

My ultimate goal is finding a pair of Toni Sailer - my first pair of skis - but I am dreaming there !

But what is life without dreams ?
Spalding skis have a loyal following, we have a few of them here on PUGSKI @Lowell Watson is one that comes to mind. One of the shops I worked was a Spalding dealer, they were not always appreciated by the average skier but a fine brand for those in the know.

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
I loved skiing Spalding ... ever since Tomba !
Then I had a Fisher moment ... I own 6 pairs at least and 2 are skill skiable .
And Kneissl , the White Star ...

But Spalding ... probably because they were from Italy and the country made me dream .
At first .
But the ride was fantastic , smooth ...

Blossom... If I had the money I would try a pair but the molds are new ... nothing left from the old Spalding ... 30 years is a looong time now !

There must be some Spalding hiding around ... more and more difficult to find long , flat , skis but I will try !

Uncle-A

Skier
The Sideral skis had an issue with the tip of the ski, we had several come back to the shop with the tip layers flapping in the breeze. The glue that was used could have been better. Those that were still in warranty got sent back but those out of warranty we tried to fix for the customer, glue and rivets worked for a while. Most ended up purchasing new skis and since they had an issue with the Spalding's they picked other brands. Maybe they tried to make the Sideral too light, some people try to compare them to the Rossi Strato 102 but I would not. We never had a 102 come back just one or two pairs of 105's.

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
I remember seeing delaminated Sideral ... but I would want a pair anyway !
At the time , I was skiing a very nice pair of Blizzard Firebird Racer and I had no money for a second pair of skis .
The only skis that delaminated on me were a pair of Atomic , green Atomic , bought right after the Firebird .

So many skis , so much fun !
And the after-ski , too ...

Lowell Watson

Making skis sharp and slippery
Skier
So a couple things about the search for the seemingly more elusive Spalding skis...I recently saw a pair of 200+cm Starboards on Craigslist, but forgot where, so use the search tempest and you will find them. (Maybe lost in South Jersey with the Miller Softs that the guy won’t ship?!) That’s your best shot at finding a decent deal. There were 2 pair of persenico Spalding test skis on CL in the Buffalo NY region, black and yellow undrilled 205’s. I think that guy spelled them “Spaulding” in the ad.
I found my Formidable trolling a Porsche enthusiast websites ski forum!

Giving away all my secrets...take advantage of people’s poor spelling when searching, you won’t believe what you will uncover..

:beercheer:

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
001.JPG
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
008.JPG
009.JPG
010.JPG

Another pair of Spalding found in a basement ...
$15 !!
Sad ... it misses .25in to accept my boots . Can't go farther ... should I drill them ? Only the toes binding ?? Would it matter a lot ??

The gadget is full of ''micro-beads'' of carbon that were used to dampen vibration ... if you could believe that !

1987 , these Spalding VVC Titanium .

Not the Sideral or the Formidable but still ...

I am waiting for your advice , gentlemen !

Uncle-A

Skier
View attachment 82851 View attachment 82851 View attachment 82852 View attachment 82853 View attachment 82854 View attachment 82855 View attachment 82856 View attachment 82857 View attachment 82858 View attachment 82859

Another pair of Spalding found in a basement ...
$15 !!
Sad ... it misses .25in to accept my boots . Can't go farther ... should I drill them ? Only the toes binding ?? Would it matter a lot ??

The gadget is full of ''micro-beads'' of carbon that were used to dampen vibration ... if you could believe that !

1987 , these Spalding VVC Titanium .

Not the Sideral or the Formidable but still ...

I am waiting for your advice , gentlemen !
Are the heels all the way forward and still too far apart or heels all the way back and too short by .25 ?

Sponsor