• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@Doug Briggs
Did you try moving the AFD forward to lessen the pivot leverage to help equalize the forward lean to twist ratio?

No. It is pretty securely attached and I didn't want to have to deal with more holes, etc. The ski stayed on and since I don't have any Spademan ready boots that fit, I'm just relegating them to display now. FWIW, they didn't release while skiing them. Fortunately there was no need for them to, either.

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
No. It is pretty securely attached and I didn't want to have to deal with more holes, etc. The ski stayed on and since I don't have any Spademan ready boots that fit, I'm just relegating them to display now. FWIW, they didn't release while skiing them. Fortunately there was no need for them to, either.

I vaguely remember hearing some better shops double sided taping them to the ski and then 'checking' them. They could then make adjustments as needed before screwing them down.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I vaguely remember hearing some better shops double sided taping them to the ski and then 'checking' them. They could then make adjustments as needed before screwing them down.

That wouldn't surprise me in the least. Having to adjust the AFD to set forward release is a pretty questionable, if effective, method.

Mack

Getting off the lift
Skier
Here is a little more from the Black Hole. Pair of Spademan S7s and addition to your post. Kids rental plate and off market plate.
Great site you all have put together. Looking forward in posting more old and new additions To the Black Hole.
Mack

IMG_6910.jpg

IMG_5784.jpg

IMG_6444.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I want some S7's, dammit.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
SKIING Nov 1978 - Spademan - 1978.jpg

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
SKIING Sept 1974 - Spademan - Pugski.jpg

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
SKIING Dec 1973 - Spademan - Pugski.jpg

Bob Simpson

Putting on skis
Skier
Ah, Spademans! Gave me my first experience using Bondo on most ski boots to mount the boot plate. Still gives me chills praying that the toe was centered on the ski!

DeanA

Booting up
Skier
I seem to recall that before Spademan had an integrated brake, someone made a brake that flipped out to one side. You folded it in and set it with a catch, like setting a trap, then if you released if flipped out to the side.

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
This turned out better than expected. Actually near perfect. I can eyeball the binding mounting with some careful measuring but the if the butterfly is a mm off it will really show at the toe when in the binding. For some reason I have 3 rental plates so thought I would take the butterfly off and use the plate as the jig. I used a drill bit that just fit in the plate holes to make a good sized mark in the boot sole then took the plate off and used a slightly smaller drill bit to make an appropriate screw hole size. The butterfly on the rental plate was mounted maybe 3 mm further back on the plate compared to another pair of Scotts with butterflys so I have a shim at the toe to pull it a little further forward. Too late for this season.

200s black majic
IMG_0773.JPG

IMG_0772.JPG

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is ironic. Because of the step in the Spademan binding to accommodate a butterfly on the bottom of a boot, the integrated butterfly in the boot is cot compatible with the Spademan binding. I tried to step in the binding and the Spademan boot could not actuate the step in button.
c2EaN0dIQI2n1SDiC7owlw.jpg

IMG_0179.jpeg

IMG_0181.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online