• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I believe so. I don't think they make lefty saxes; they do make lefty guitars although some people play right handed guitars upside down and strung upside down so they can pick up most any guitar and play it. Hendrix played a righty guitar, but restrung it lefty.
It would be kind of silly to make a backwards woodwind instrument of any type (sax included) since both hands are used equally. Nobody plays backwards brass instruments that I'm aware of (one of the best trombone players I've ever met, Jeff Usitalo of the Stan Kenton Orchestra, is left handed and works the slide with his right) and, while it's possible, I've never seen anyone play an orchestral string instrument backwards, either.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
It would be kind of silly to make a backwards woodwind instrument of any type (sax included) since both hands are used equally. Nobody plays backwards brass instruments that I'm aware of (one of the best trombone players I've ever met, Jeff Usitalo of the Stan Kenton Orchestra, is left handed and works the slide with his right) and, while it's possible, I've never seen anyone play an orchestral string instrument backwards, either.
I should have known that because my daughter use to play clarinet and we have a sax in the house. We picked it up for her year ago but it is in terrible condition needing new pads and cork but because it was a good brand of instrument we got it anyway. I never did get it fixed because she stopped playing and moved on to other pursuits.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Another old ad from back when selling that post war lifestyle was key.
A6140A37-750C-414E-80F4-821D2B3F7C27.jpeg

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Fun thread. On the Saab kick, I had a Saab 95 Wagon as my college/ski car. It was a tremendous snow car. Worked like a charm. My dad and I had a father/son project....a Datsun 510 that we bought the I was in high school. We did a lot of work to it, and it was really set up as a track car. When it wartime for me to go away to college, no way in hell was the 510 going. Not sure that it would have loved Northern NE winters. So I sold that 95 in 1977.

In 1982, I bought a used 900 hatchback Turbo. My wife and I fought over it. Perfect for our needs. In 1984 we bought our first new car, a 900 Turbo hatch, bright red, tan leather, 5 speed. My wife's car....or her dog's car. We kept that for about 5 years, putting a quite a few miles on it. Great car. In 1987 she got a new Volvo 740 GLE wagon, with a five speed. That might be the best car we ever owned. I took the Saab.

In 1989, I was bitten by the need to buy a new BMW 325ix. Two door, red. In 1989 the cars did not come with a leather option as BMW felt they would be too expensive to sell. With skinnier studded Hakkas on Steelies, that car was a snow beast. Wow.

in 1994, new job, with a company car. My choice of car, with few constraints. My partner had one of the Audi V8 quarto sedans. I was a year too early to go for an Audi S6 Avant {which we did buy later on}, so back to Saab. I got a 1995 9000CSE. I was driving into downtown Boston every day, and wanted an automatic. That was a GREAT car. Comfortable, handled well, great highway car, great use of space, and really tremendous in the snow.

I tried to convince my daughter to let us get her a 9.3 as her first car, but she wanted the classic ski wheels......an H6 Outback. That thing was tremendous ski car. Began life in Mass, lived most of it's life in Maine, left our family in CO and is probably still running. A 2002.

Had nothing but good experiences with Saab in our family.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In 1987 she got a new Volvo 740 GLE wagon, with a five speed.
Was that the 4 +pushbutton overdrive? I recall trading 745, Charcoal with red leather gut in at our dealership (I had a 740T sedan at the time with the same color combo) that had a blown diesel, I was tempted to send it up to Converse for a V8 conversion.

Muleski

Inactive
Yep. It was. And it was the metallic charcoal over red leather. Standard non turbo, but all of the nice GLE trim. She loved that car. And ALL of our teenage babysitters loved it!
We had blue and red pinstripes painted on it. Great, classic looking.
Frankly I was an IDIOT to sell it. I lose track of what was next. Mom NOT happy. It might have been her first Suburban. Or our 850 T5 wagon?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Absolutely hated Roger as Bond...
Roger Moore was once interviewed and he stated that he played his Bond character as if he was Simon Templar the Saint with a longer script and bigger budget. I thought Moore's portrayal was second only to Sean Connery.

James

Out There
Instructor
What of the Volkswagen awd Synchro? It had a center pull knob with a few positions. One made front/rear bias 50/50, another locked the front and rear differentials. I forget if there were two positions for that or just one.

A sophisticated system in a not sophisticated priced car. The car itself could’ve used a little beefing up. I guess that was the Audi.

Muleski

Inactive
We had a synchro for a couple of years. It was a pretty great car. Just a bit to small to be my wife’s car, with two little kids, all of their “stuff”, trips every weekend to VT. It would drive confidently through anything.
At the same time my company car was an Audi 4000S. Pretty much the same platform. Both were 5 speeds, had the differential locks. Nicer trim and leather interior. I hated to give that one up. But I loved the Audi S6 Avant that eventually replaced it. Company car for two years, then I bought it. Probably my all time favorite…..and a beast when set up for the winter. My wife STILL misses it.