• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
All Things PRE

PRE Skis

SKI Sept 1991 - PRE Skis - Pugski - Dave Petersen.jpg

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
SNOW COUNTRY Nov 1992 PRE Pugski.jpg

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
SKIING Sept 1985 - PRE - Pugski - Dave Petersen.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When we were at the US Ski & Snowboard Hall of Fame ceremonies in Aspen, @Weems introduced us to Chuck Ferris. Chuck was a former olympian and not that wasn’t important but for this post was the man behind Pre (Precision) Skis. In the 70’s, Chuck worked for K2 and was basically commissioned to start Pre skis. Pre was actually the brainchild of K2, who wanted to a second ski brand under their umbrella. Pre was the first ski company that didn’t make their own skis and were actually a marketing brand. I have more information at home on this and will add after the Mothers Day trip.

On a lighter note. Pre is the reason for my having to go back to Blue Mountain, the bane of my skiing existence. Early on Chuck had Pre based in Sun Valley and, at the time was my only reference. I made a bet that Pre was always based in Sun Valley, the cost of the bet was for me to have to ski at Blue. It turned out that Pre, in their later years moved their headquarters to Utah. I lost the bet and had to ski Blue.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
When I bought these skis new I thought they were the coolest thing. Must have been a popular color at the time - I had a Plymouth Laser about that same plum color.
Petersen PRE - Pugski.jpg

Petersen PRE 2 - Pugski.jpg

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
When we were at the US Ski & Snowboard Hall of Fame ceremonies in Aspen, @Weems introduced us to Chuck Ferris. Chuck was a former olympian and not that wasn’t important but for this post was the man behind Pre (Precision) Skis. In the 70’s, Chuck worked for K2 and was basically commissioned to start Pre skis. Pre was actually the brainchild of K2, who wanted to a second ski brand under their umbrella. Pre was the first ski company that didn’t make their own skis and were actually a marketing brand. I have more information at home on this and will add after the Mothers Day trip.

On a lighter note. Pre is the reason for my having to go back to Blue Mountain, the bane of my skiing existence. Early on Chuck had Pre based in Sun Valley and, at the time was my only reference. I made a bet that Pre was always based in Sun Valley, the cost of the bet was for me to have to ski at Blue. It turned out that Pre, in their later years moved their headquarters to Utah. I lost the bet and had to ski Blue.

Only The Names Have Been Changed.jpg

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Bought this sweater in Vail in the mid 80s -

Petersen PRE 3 - Pugski.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
One of my favorite skis of all time were my Pre 1200SP 204's. I remember getting them from Nestors Warming Hut. It was the end of the season, my senior year in HS. IIRC, they were 140.00 which were half price. The nest year I mounted some Marker MRR''s on them. I had those skis till about 88 or so.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
My second pair of skis were 204 Pre 1500s. It took me three full days to break my leg!

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
My neon years - around 1990:
image.jpeg

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Web Photo
image.jpeg

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Web Photo
image.jpeg

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
image.png

Anybody ski on the likes of these models?
PRE Competition M5.3
K2 Triaxial SLC
The only ski review I found for the M5.3 from back in the day (Ski 93') was a big thumbs up- writing that "although they are a competition race ski we liked them as all around cruisers."
1) Everybody likes to cruise (and sometimes open them up like V8 muscle car) on a GS ski every once in a while, right?
2) In the photo above; I think the PRE's
footprint cries "cruise me" for sure!

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
From my brochure collection:
Petersen PRE 4.jpg

Petersen PRE 5.jpg

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
PRE M 6.3, PRE 1200, PRE DHP 1800 with Salomon equipe demo bindings. The downhills are ready to ski but I always find some excuse not to take them out. Next winter for sure.

195, 201, 223

DSC04649.JPG

DSC04655.JPG

DSC04650.JPG

DSC04650.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That 24.3 flex is one seriously stiff ski for an off the wall 1200, that is in the (later) 1200SP range. The DBS initials are the same that are on my VO's and GS Electra's, so these are Vashon built skis. Can you post the serial number from the side of the 1200 and 1600 DHP? With the metal tip protector than you can see from the bottom view of the DHP, I am guessing that came from the Head factory.

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
That 24.3 flex is one seriously stiff ski for an off the wall 1200, that is in the (later) 1200SP range. The DBS initials are the same that are on my VO's and GS Electra's, so these are Vashon built skis. Can you post the serial number from the side of the 1200 and 1600 DHP? With the metal tip protector than you can see from the bottom view of the DHP, I am guessing that came from the Head factory.

DSC04671.JPG

DSC04669.JPG

Sponsor