• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
All Things P.K.

P.K. Peter KennedySki Boots and Ski Poles

SKIING Dec 1970 - PK - Pugski - Dave Petersen.jpg

SKIING Oct 1966 - PK - Pugski - Dave Petersen.jpg

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
SKIING Nov 1970 - PK - Pugski.jpg

ned hamlin

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I don't know if this forum is still active, but I just discovered that I can post on it. I worked at PK Sports at the Broadway and 1st Ave So shops in the summers of 1965 - 67. I got drafted in '67 and had to tell Peter that I would be leaving for the Army. I made poles, worked on the Allsop boot tree, and Dick Durant and I made all 18 pair of SS skis to give to Gene Moore, who took them to LA where they were promptly stolen at the airport. That was the end of the ski program. I also remember when Jim (?) Lange came by the shop with a pair of blue prototype plastic boots to see if Peter might be interested in helping him develop them. Peter held the boot in his hand, looked at it, and flipped it back to Lange with a "no thanks". Durant and I cornered Lange afterward and managed to talk him into letting us try out the revolutionary boot. It was uncomfortable and leaked, but it gave more edge control than the old leather boots. The rest is history.
Durant and I also tried out the SS skis we built, and they were heavy and resisted turning. One turn on hard ice resulted in a blowout of the sidewalls, so the engineer added metal braces to hold them together.
PK was a very cool place to work, and I was sad to see Peter close up shop. After returning from Vietnam in 1968 I bought a pair of Lange standards and took them to my next assignment in Germany - the AFRC Ski Patrol.
I hope someone will read this. I've been living in Sun Valley, ID since 1975.
Thanks.
Ned

ned hamlin

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I don't know if this forum is still active, but I just discovered that I can post on it. I worked at PK Sports at the Broadway and 1st Ave So shops in the summers of 1965 - 67. I got drafted in '67 and had to tell Peter that I would be leaving for the Army. I made poles, worked on the Allsop boot tree, and Dick Durant and I made all 18 pair of SS skis to give to Gene Moore, who took them to LA where they were promptly stolen at the airport. That was the end of the ski program. I also remember when Jim (?) Lange came by the shop with a pair of blue prototype plastic boots to see if Peter might be interested in helping him develop them. Peter held the boot in his hand, looked at it, and flipped it back to Lange with a "no thanks". Durant and I cornered Lange afterward and managed to talk him into letting us try out the revolutionary boot. It was uncomfortable and leaked, but it gave more edge control than the old leather boots. The rest is history.
Durant and I also tried out the SS skis we built, and they were heavy and resisted turning. One turn on hard ice resulted in a blowout of the sidewalls, so the engineer added metal braces to hold them together.
PK was a very cool place to work, and I was sad to see Peter close up shop. After returning from Vietnam in 1968 I bought a pair of Lange standards and took them to my next assignment in Germany - the AFRC Ski Patrol.
I hope someone will read this. I've been living in Sun Valley, ID since 1975.
Thanks.
Ned

I forgot to mention that the boot we developed ad a very rough going. The very expensive molds kept developing flaws that would show up on the surface of the boot, and Peter finally decided not to spend any more money on the boot.
Ned

Sponsor

Staff online