• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
SKIING Dec 1995 - Olin - Pugski - Petersen.jpg

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
From Ski magazine reviews and articles on OLIN skis from back in the day: you get the feeling OLIN put a lot of engineering and testing into their products. The skis were top of the line and priced that way weren’t they?
Sales were in the Millions!
The results stand the test of time.
Every pair of MARK series skis in my collection have Like new integerity and some were ahead of their time with “flared” tips and nice side cuts.
Not to mention ahead of their time with the turned up tails on the lV’s and on my MARK lll S skis!

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
Not an All Things Olin item but;
Just for laughs anyone reading this may or may not relate -
Just ran into a fun group photo we did once at the bottom of the slopes holding our skis.
One friend in the picture had just started skiing and back then his 175’s were kind of short. Someone said: “just hold them up higher”.
We all held our skis beside us like Olympic champs and each pair well off the ground, but you can’t see that part, lol.
Looked like all of our skis were 210 cm or more- haha

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
Dan,
Your S Series lll’s look awesome!
I like the 555’s, color coordinated too!

Of the MARK lll, lV, V and Vl “first editions” - I think those lll’s have my favorite colors of the bunch.

So go back in time about 15 years ago
and I came across OLIN MARK lllS skis with turned up tails for $15! Plus they have very secure silver GEZE bindings and I set them up for my boots and skied them exclusively that Winter! Such a blast from the past to look down and see the awesome old school OLIN graphics and their performance suited my skiing style just fine. I skied three days in a row on my $15 yard sale skis - it was great.

My lll’s are Dark Blue / white and are the second style with what I call “Tail Feathers” (instead of Large capital letters on the tails).

Are your early style lll’s pretty flexible? Thanks,
da-cat

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Dan,
Your S Series lll’s look awesome!
I like the 555’s, color coordinated too!

Of the MARK lll, lV, V and Vl “first editions” - I think those lll’s have my favorite colors of the bunch.

So go back in time about 15 years ago
and I came across OLIN MARK lllS skis with turned up tails for $15! Plus they have very secure silver GEZE bindings and I set them up for my boots and skied them exclusively that Winter! Such a blast from the past to look down and see the awesome old school OLIN graphics and their performance suited my skiing style just fine. I skied three days in a row on my $15 yard sale skis - it was great.

My lll’s are Dark Blue / white and are the second style with what I call “Tail Feathers” (instead of Large capital letters on the tails).

Are your early style lll’s pretty flexible? Thanks,
da-cat
I had the seond generation too..in High School. These were considered "Doctor" skis even then, LOL. It was not a fun ski, a little too damp and heavy for a high schooler who was skiing a Rossi ST prior.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I had the seond generation too..in High School. These were considered "Doctor" skis even then, LOL. It was not a fun ski, a little too damp and heavy for a high schooler who was skiing a Rossi ST prior.
They may not have been fun for you but not everyone is the great skier that you are, I bet a lot of folks liked the ski. Also you were coming of the Rossi ST Comp that was the top of the line at the time. The IIIS was a performance recreational ski from a top manufacturer maybe you were too good for it, not that it was a bad ski.

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
I haven’t had a release in decades-
If that tells you anything about my aggressiveness on the slopes! Lol
Meanwhile- note to self:
Take out the white black and orange 195 ST Comps next year!
(And the silver/blue FP’s)

Uncle-A

Skier
Nice find, what binding are on them I can't tell maybe Tyrolia 280 or 290 or S 727? How about a close up of the binding.

Uncle-A

Skier
View attachment 79529
I thought this reply post was sent;
(Sorry if it’s a repeat):

They are Tyrolia 280s.
Maybe the first good Tyrolias ?
Tyrolia made good bindings long before the 280's all the way back to the Clix 90 one of the earliest step in heels.

Uncle-A

Skier
View attachment 79563
Found these last summer!
Those are cool way back when my wife skied the Mark I with Look GT's and I had the Mark IV but with Burt bindings not my best choice. Olin Mark IV was a good ski most users didn't pick Burt bindings, we sold most of them with S 555's .

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
Nice find!
Of the various OLIN MARK lV styles; the COMPS with White letters and flat nose & trademark turned up tails - I would say had the best of everything!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January