• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
@scottgstell,
OLIN skis were a part of my very fist day on the slopes, maybe winter of 71-72. My Mom took me skiing for my first time at a small place in Connecticut (I think I have talked about this story here in a previous post) - and at some point during that day I wondered into my first ski shop, the pro shop on site. There, leaning against a wall, were several pairs of long black OLIN MARK l skis. Later on, about 6 years later,
a couple of pairs of those awesome early MARK l skis showed up at a local ski shop, Brand new, with a sale price. My brother and I each bought a pair. I had Salomon 444 bindings on my pair.
I am not sure where my MARK l’s went but I now have my brother’s pair from that ski sale over 30 years ago.

Attachments

• 23FC30E6-E70B-4BB9-9F54-C98E1E7E58F7.jpeg
    23FC30E6-E70B-4BB9-9F54-C98E1E7E58F7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
  • D28C7E56-1260-455C-81FF-2B0FCCA3E6AB.jpeg
    D28C7E56-1260-455C-81FF-2B0FCCA3E6AB.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
  • AE704EDD-6648-4859-88C2-CC6751B83AB7.jpeg
    AE704EDD-6648-4859-88C2-CC6751B83AB7.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
@scottgstell,
OLIN skis were a part of my very fist day on the slopes, maybe winter of 71-72. My Mom took me skiing for my first time at a small place in Connecticut (I think I have talked about this story here in a previous post) - and at some point during that day I wondered into my first ski shop, the pro shop on site. There, leaning against a wall, were several pairs of long black OLIN MARK l skis. Later on, about 6 years later,
a couple of pairs of those awesome early MARK l skis showed up at a local ski shop, Brand new, with a sale price. My brother and I each bought a pair. I had Salomon 444 bindings on my pair.
I am not sure where my MARK l’s went but I now have my brother’s pair from that ski sale over 30 years ago.
My guess is that it is more like 40+ years ago. But that is just me thinking back in time.

rickg

Out on the slopes
Skier
I skied the late 70's and most of the 80's on Olin skis. First pair was Olin Mark IV Comps in a 180 as I wanted to learn bumps. Everyone told me they were too short! Next was the Olin 930i in a 195. One of the few high performance non race skis that were available at that time. My last pair was the Race Comp CRX 200cm. Loved that ski! Not long after, Olin was no more and I was off to K2 for the KVC Comp.

Rick G

Uncle-A

Skier
@Uncle-A,
Good catch, looks like I skipped a decade.
My question is:
Where did the last 10 years go anyway?!
Haha
Yes, they just fly by. One minute you are in your 20's and partying at some ski resort and the next thing you know you are turning 60 just like our fearless leader @Philpug.

Royal

UTAH
Skier
finally got out on the OLIN IV (190)last week. tuned and waxed and mounted up with Spademan bindings.
they were ok. easy to turn (with forward lean shims behind my calves). but rather dead feeling. no need to ski them again.
20240206_115150.jpg

Uncle-A

Skier
Spare Power Rails sourced from eBay. Now I need to find a day to ski on these before the snow is gone. Then again, it's been 40 years, another one won't matter.

Olin_8986.jpg

Olin_8994.jpg
Nice setup, those are Nordica boots, what model?

ct-ski

Booting up
Skier
Hey all,
Grabbed these at the local thrift today. They are brand new in plastic, never been mounted Olin mark ii’s. Iv never seen any like them with the plain red topsheet. Anyone have any info? Think they are worth anything like this or should i throw some bindings on and try em out.

Attachments

• IMG_7693.jpeg
    IMG_7693.jpeg
    201.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7694.jpeg
    IMG_7694.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7695.jpeg
    IMG_7695.jpeg
    242.9 KB · Views: 14

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
@ct think those are the original series of the Mark 2 from around 71 or so. Mark 3 was the 1st I can remember that came out with large graphics.

Uncle-A

Skier
@ct think those are the original series of the Mark 2 from around 71 or so. Mark 3 was the 1st I can remember that came out with large graphics.
In 71 they did have the large graphics. Two guys I skied with at the time had them and the Mark II and the VCE were big and bold. I think these might be a factor second ski that never got printed with the graphics.

ct-ski

Booting up
Skier
In 71 they did have the large graphics. Two guys I skied with at the time had them and the Mark II and the VCE were big and bold. I think these might be a factor second ski that never got printed with the graphics.
That's kind of what i was thinking. i got them not far from Middletown CT where they were manufactured from what i can tell.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

That's kind of what i was thinking. i got them not far from Middletown CT where they were manufactured from what i can tell.
If the top graphics were done last in the production process these may have been leftovers from when they were changing something and going to the next version of the Mark IIs. Just left unfinished instead of due to a defect..

Uncle-A

Skier
If the top graphics were done last in the production process these may have been leftovers from when they were changing something and going to the next version of the Mark IIs. Just left unfinished instead of due to a defect..
That is as good of an explanation as any. I have wondered if they silkscreen the graphics on the top sheet or what type of printing they use, is it ink or paint or something else?

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
That is as good of an explanation as any. I have wondered if they silkscreen the graphics on the top sheet or what type of printing they use, is it ink or paint or something else?
The larger graphic Olin's were kind of a matt finish while the earlier engraved top sheets were a high gloss finish (as this foggy old brain recalls). The Mark 2's in question look to be high gloss. I am still going with the end of the original Mark 2 series, whatever year that was.
Regardless of the reason an undrilled pair your are showing are a real find.

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
Hey all,
Grabbed these at the local thrift today. They are brand new in plastic, never been mounted Olin mark ii’s. Iv never seen any like them with the plain red topsheet. Anyone have any info? Think they are worth anything like this or should i throw some bindings on and try em out.
Those are beautiful!
My OLIN MARK ll V.C.E.‘s don’t have that shine but the sidewall marking’s are the same.
I am pretty sure the very early offerings from Olin featured the Black small lettered MARK l and those matte Red large lettered MARK ll V.C.E. at the same time as their only choices for a short while (the Black MARK l’s were the only ski at first.
My 205 MARK ll V.C.E. skis were given to me in the 1970’s un-drilled from my older brother after he returned from a trip out west skiing at Jackson Hole. I finally mounted some bindings and skied them a little, they were supposed to be Racing Skis, so I tried them on a NASTAR course but they were too much for me lol. I went back to my 190 Fischer C4’s (got a silver pin!) :).
You might consider not drilling them for bindings because they would be killer shot skis!!
Try flexing them. Doh!!
Spoiler alert: You can’t!
:)

PS- as far as the missing graphics- ? Who knows ?

Last edited:

Sponsor