• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Thanks @Philpug.

Also is there a difference between the NX 7 and NX Jr 7, or are those just different names for the same bindings? It's for use with a Lange kids boot SPJ65.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMG_5167.jpeg
I want this jacket...
IMG_5168.jpeg

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
So I FINALLY found a print ad for my favorite LOOK binding, the 77R. This was in the September 1981 SKIING magazine.

A bit of history regarding the '77' Look turntable bindings. I will go through and list the variants that I am aware of. In this post I will show the three variations of the 77R. Then below I will show the original N77(pre DIN) and the 77.
First the ad I mentioned!
LOOK 77R Skiing 9 1981.JPG

This is version 2.

LOOK 77R Toe Pieces 3 variants.jpg

These are the three 77R Toe Pieces
1) Square front mounting plate. Used the forward facing ski brake.
2) Round front mounting plate. Used the rear facing ski brake (Mirage Racing Brake).
3) Round front mounting plate. Used the rear facing ski brake. Shorter mounting plate under toe wings. NOTE the DIN window change and RED area, RACE binding.

LOOK 77R Heels 2 variants.JPG

These are the two 77R heel pieces.
1) and
2) used the same heel
3) Has the new DIN window with higher starting point and a large RED adjustment area. Perhaps their RACE variant.

See below for the earlier 77's.

Last edited:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Here we go with the 77's.

The original N77 was a 'pre DIN' binding.

LOOK N77 Skiing 9 1977.jpg

LOOK N77 Skiing 9 1978.JPG

This add shows the later N77

LOOK N77.jpg

N77 Toe piece. Note the wings were all aluminum. Forward facing brake. 1-5 setting range, Pre DIN.

LOOK N77 Heel pre DIN a.jpg

The N77 heel piece. Note it still uses the heel holder from the earlier bindings. 1-5 setting range. Pre DIN standard. Note there are no more rollers interfacing the boots rear lug. It is now the conventional full width hold down. Remember that the roller was designed to work with an applied astrigal piece that was placed on the leather boot heel.

LOOK N77 Heel pre DIN.jpg

This is a later N77 heel. It now has spring pressure holding the heel down against the ski. Note the rubber protector is missing on this example.

This takes us to the LOOK 77 binding.

LOOK 77 Skiing 9 1979.JPG

LOOK 77 Toe.jpg

LOOK 77 toe piece. Note we are now using the DIN standard for release adjustment (4-10). The toe wings now have the Delrin anti friction inserts. Same forward facing ski brake as the N77.

LOOK 77 Heel.jpg

LOOK 77 heel piece. Updated for the new DIN standard release settings (4-10). Has the rubber protector where the heel is pushed against the ski when not in use.

There you have it. The entire LOOK 77's as I know it. If anyone is aware of other variants please let me know and post some pix! I have around twenty pairs of this binding system. My favorite is the 77R 2rd variant as shown in the ad above. I use them on a number of skis from the late 70's and into the mid 80's.

Last edited:

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thought I had posted these before. They are on my Olin Mark 4 Comps. Orange engraved Killy signature edition. A buddy was a rep for a couple of years and I wound up with them. I think it says Sportivement and signature underneath.
1709003658482.jpeg

1709003727451.jpeg

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I broke my Pivots 2x- first the arm on the heel broke then 3wks ago just before I was leaving on a 2wk trip to Park City and Taos, they were feeling wonky, stopped in my ski shop- the heel piece was hanging on by a thread- tech could lift it right off the ski! (My Z-90's) I guess I skied them to hard? I also had the surprise ejection release on my 'incident' that resulted in my right leg TPF and severe sprain of lcl, lateral meniscus and achilles. I still have them on my Sheeva 10's- I grew up with only looks on all my skis but am now wary of the pivots :-(

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
@ADKmel "I broke my Pivots 2x-" which model/year? Pics?
my tech threw them in the trash.. they were Pivot 12's . they were not in the recall but I think they should have been .. attached video of broken arm, Look sent me a new heel piece- I don't know if this is the same one that broke or the other ski. I have pivot 14's on my Sheevas

Attachments

• pivot 12 failure.mp4
    16.4 MB · Views: 0

Sponsor

Staff online