• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
That's a little better.

Hexcel mounting instructions 001.jpg

Hexcel mounting instructions 002.jpg

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
We would also give the fixation screws a spritz of silicone and that would seem to allow them to be

I also told many of guys buying them that the split tail was an awesome bottle opener

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
Came up with a 3D binding jig and finally got these mounted and had them out for a couple of runs. Did not seek out moguls, trees or couloirs but they are a nice light cruising ski but quick and responsive. I put some base bevel on the edges but just enough to get the rust off without touching the bases and eyeballed 90 side. Seemed to work very well. Did not realize Forza was the same screw hole pattern as the 99. And should have checked the jig a little closer. It mounts a mm off center.

190 Hexcelerator II, Allsop poles, Forza! 3D bindings
IMG_0039.JPG

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
'3D' bindings? Please elaborate.

There is a jig in the shop that has a couple bundles of 4 business cards that we use to properly align the jig. It would otherwise mount bindings off center if we didn't place the cards between the ski and the jig clamps on one side. Jigs are nice, but they aren't always perfect.

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier

left, right, up. I wouldn't say they release up.....but there is elasticity. See "All Things Look" probably all the 3D recently posted by Mack and others pages 7 and 8.

DSC04530.JPG

Sorry tried to fix it.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier

There is a jig in the shop that has a couple bundles of 4 business cards that we use to properly align the jig. It would otherwise mount bindings off center if we didn't place the cards between the ski and the jig clamps on one side. Jigs are nice, but they aren't always perfect.
As the jigs get old they do get out of wack. Techs sometimes are not always gentle with their equipment and that can cause them to be out of wack.

rpk4dotcom

More Retro memories????
Skier
1971-1977-ski-wall-hexcel.jpg

1977-1978-ski-wall-hexcel.jpg

1978-1979-ski-wall-hexcel.jpg

Having some issues with 1978-1979 as I can only find a list of models in the Sept 1978 issue of SKIING, just not sure if it is complete.

Also, anyone know anything about this Hexcel Citation:
Here are some more of the later models of the Hexcels!
Hexhibition, Citation, Spectralite, Hexcelerator II, Bluelite II, Sundance II XL Series, Intrex XL Series,
Mack
View attachment 21441

Also, this super comp doesn't match the advertisements for 1974-1975, but the graphic looks like it fits:

166101890.jpg

Cleaning out my barn in Michigan so we can sell the property. Not sure, but the Split Tails might be Hub's last pair. I was told one of the multiple pair I purchased the last couple years of the product was the last pair he made.

And lastly, what does anyone think about the model in this ad:

ad.jpg

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I had a pair of those!

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
1977 Pricing

Hexcel Skis Pricing 1977 - Pugski - Dave Petersen.jpg

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
Came up with a 3D binding jig and finally got these mounted and had them out for a couple of runs. Did not seek out moguls, trees or couloirs but they are a nice light cruising ski but quick and responsive. I put some base bevel on the edges but just enough to get the rust off without touching the bases and eyeballed 90 side. Seemed to work very well. Did not realize Forza was the same screw hole pattern as the 99. And should have checked the jig a little closer. It mounts a mm off center.

190 Hexcelerator II, Allsop poles, Forza! 3D bindings
View attachment 39372

Don't know what I was thinking here. Not exactly the same but my 3D jig will do the toe of the 99 but not the 3 hole heel. The 3D jig will also do 6 of the 8 holes on the modern pivots. The four heel and the 2 front holes of the toe but the widest ski it fits is around 80mm. And the modern pivot jig, at least the one I have will do the full 3D 7 hole pattern but the narrowest ski it will do without shims is 100mm. FWIW

Lowell Watson

Making skis sharp and slippery
Skier
The process that is Hexcel
6F76DAF4-7C49-4161-B95C-742302D24ECD.jpeg

Drill and ream out holes with...I used a nail with a 90degree tip
3B6B5212-B5AE-4DCC-80C9-EC2C547AF687.jpeg

I went with the MRR for this project and the 2 ton/30 minute injection epoxy.
85D8DDD6-4A41-4845-B5D6-66E7C04D6030.jpeg

Inject and wipe off excess. Wait a minute for settling and top off if needed...messy, but skis are matte black so looks worse
21751028-95E5-44BD-A8FE-A9FEEE37477E.jpeg

Screw in by hand using #3 Posidrive
FB158B1D-CE36-4A83-A3FA-1FAA1E6FCF92.jpeg

Hang upside down overnight. Enjoy!

Attachments

• A9CEE1AF-A50B-45DA-AFEA-FBB967AF9D9A.jpeg
    A9CEE1AF-A50B-45DA-AFEA-FBB967AF9D9A.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 20

Uncle-A

Skier
The process that is Hexcel
View attachment 94153
Drill and ream out holes with...I used a nail with a 90degree tip
View attachment 94154
I went with the MRR for this project and the 2 ton/30 minute injection epoxy.
View attachment 94156
Inject and wipe off excess. Wait a minute for settling and top off if needed...messy, but skis are matte black so looks worse
View attachment 94157
Screw in by hand using #3 Posidrive
View attachment 94158
Hang upside down overnight. Enjoy!
Looks like you covered all the bases in the mounting process that is Hexcel. Good job, not even some of the pro's back in the day did as well.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
So, right after Hanson and Hexcel joined forces they both crashed and burned. Which one brought down the other?

Uncle-A

Skier
So, right after Hanson and Hexcel joined forces they both crashed and burned. Which one brought down the other?
I think Hexcel stayed in business, just not the snow ski business. Not sure about the Hanson company but I think someone here could help with that information.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I think Hexcel stayed in business, just not the snow ski business. Not sure about the Hanson company but I think someone here could help with that information.
Hexcel was an aeronotics company before and after ski gear. Only talking about the ski gear operation in terms of failure.

Uncle-A

Skier
Hexcel was an aeronotics company before and after ski gear. Only talking about the ski gear operation in terms of failure.
I think I they also made water skis after they got out of the snow ski business. But if Hanson continued to make the skis one would have to think that in the long run they were the ultimate cause of the end of that business.

Sponsor