• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Max Air

You never get hurt in the air!
Skier
No comment on his possible binding choice. At least they were rescued from the dump.

The_High_Life

Aspen Mountain
43 points·1 year ago·edited 1 year ago

My wife found 2 pairs of these in the dump, unmounted and still in the plastic. One is 200, this is 205. They are 1980 Hexcel Splitails. A very light ski for the era, they used an aluminum honeycomb structure instead of wood or fiberglass.
Going to mount some Marker Griffons so I can use my Scarpa Maestrales.
View attachment 111849

edit Did not realize that would happen. The first picture is the link. I'm just going to leave it.
That second pair would sure like nice in my collection!

DreaminBoutPow

Amateur hour
Skier
Don't have any personal experience to offer on Hexcel skis, but just here to confirm that the aerospace and industrial part of Hexcel is very much alive and well, as I currently work for them. Every plant location seems to have a pair or two of old skis sitting in someone's office though!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Don't have any personal experience to offer on Hexcel skis, but just here to confirm that the aerospace and industrial part of Hexcel is very much alive and well, as I currently work for them. Every plant location seems to have a pair or two of old skis sitting in someone's office though!
I have not followed the company since they got out of the ski business. Are there any of the people from the ski division still around? What if anything do they think about their time in the ski business? I did love their skis light and strong was the combination that made me spend my money on a pair of Hexcel Comp's.

DreaminBoutPow

Amateur hour
Skier
I have not followed the company since they got out of the ski business. Are there any of the people from the ski division still around? What if anything do they think about their time in the ski business? I did love their skis light and strong was the combination that made me spend my money on a pair of Hexcel Comp's.

I don't know of anyone personally, but I could certainly ask around, as there are definitely still a few folks around who were just starting with the company when the ski division was towards the end of its run.

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier

How do you like working for Hexcel? I am very interested in pursuing a engineering job with them in the near future. Knowing they used to make skis makes me even more excited.

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
Those Skunks look hardcore!

How about these HEXCELs?
I wonder how many of these were seen around even back in the day:
Yellow letters “INTERNATIONAL” model.

A quick search in Google Books looking at scanned ski magazines so far tells me the COMPETITION was HEXCEL’s first ski on the market followed by this version. ?

Attachments

• 5C99743C-094F-436C-B166-750CCD1AA9C0.jpeg
    5C99743C-094F-436C-B166-750CCD1AA9C0.jpeg
    290.4 KB · Views: 23

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
P.S. -
Remembering those Yellow Lettered HEXCELs, on the slopes back in the day, they were like the standard model?
The COMPETITIONs were for racing the gates and the FIRELITEs were for the moguls?

Uncle-A

Skier
P.S. -
Remembering those Yellow Lettered HEXCELs, on the slopes back in the day, they were like the standard model?
The COMPETITIONs were for racing the gates and the FIRELITEs were for the moguls?
I don't remember ever seeing the yellow letters on the slopes or in a shop. I seem to remember that the Hexcelerator and maybe the Sundance was the mogul ski. The Firelites don't ring a bell for moguls, thought they were for the intermediate skier.

Uncle-A

Skier
I alway thought the HEXCEL Firelites, with their turned up tails, was to compete for sales with the OLIN MARK lV?
I don't remember that but my memory on this maybe faulty.

Max Air

You never get hurt in the air!
Skier
No comment on his possible binding choice. At least they were rescued from the dump.

The_High_Life

Aspen Mountain
43 points·1 year ago·edited 1 year ago

My wife found 2 pairs of these in the dump, unmounted and still in the plastic. One is 200, this is 205. They are 1980 Hexcel Splitails. A very light ski for the era, they used an aluminum honeycomb structure instead of wood or fiberglass.
Going to mount some Marker Griffons so I can use my Scarpa Maestrales.
View attachment 111849

edit Did not realize that would happen. The first picture is the link. I'm just going to leave it.
Want to trade a silver pair unmounted for a red pair unmounted?

Sponsor

Staff online

• Tricia
    The Velvet Hammer
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid