• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I do like some of the older ski bases.

IMG_20170202_161211353.jpg

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG

Gentlemen ...
Now , I found these out today ....
I can't seem to find a Head 160 in their lineup ... the ski is a 175 cm, or around and nothing written on the sides .
Do you have a date ??

Thank you !!

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Drawing/collage I did back in the mid 1980s -

Petersen Artwork.jpg

You can tell it is old by the street parking and Gorsuch looks quite a bit different now.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Photo shared by Elite Skiing Facebook page

Howard Head
IMG_0216.JPG

SkiSpeed

Getting off the lift
Skier
Downhill Racer! I've been to Wengen and skied as much of the Lauberhorn course as was/is open to the public...

One of the greatest ski movies ever made. I remember going to see it at the old Madison Theater in Albany w/my parents when I was a small fry. It still wears well today and is worth seeing again!

Mack

Getting off the lift
Skier
Head XR1's. Newest Addition to the black hole. The top is a prototype of the Head XR1 Early model with out the competition 205 SL. The other is one of the 2000 production skis with a top Graphic 203 SL.
MACK.
IMG_7131.jpg

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
I took a quick look through the thread but didn't see a link to this article from the International Skiing History Association about Howard Head and the development of the ski that was as revolutionary in the 1950s as parabolic skis were in the late 1990 and early 2000. I offer this well researched piece for Head enthusiast out there. Here's a link:

The Broken Ski and Other Howard Head Mysteries by Morten Lund

As the article goes on to say, there are many unanswered questions about Howard Head, especially surrounding the development as the ski that became known as "The Cheater", the Head Standard. So to deepen the mystery and to add to my mission to discover all things Laurel Mountain I offer this alternative historical narrative:

E. Kay Myers Howard Head.jpg

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I love it that people know I collect anything ski related so they just give me things. These recent skis gifted to me are the longest in my collection.
Head Skis - Petersen - 96 dpi.jpg

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
How long are they?

I am looking on the side, but there is no length given. Took out a tape measure and they are right at 7 feet long (whatever that translates into cm.)

Last edited:

sjjohnston

Putting on skis
Skier
Head downhill skis, presumably '60s vintage. Someone else could probably place their year more exactly. In the mid-'70s these were popular among I and my cohort (that being junior racers not sufficiently talented to warrant a significant outlay for equipment for one discipline). At the time, they were recent enough to be available, and passe enough to be available relatively cheaply at various ski swaps and the like. These apparently never got used, as I would've remounted with slightly more up-to-date bindings.They're also on the short side at 210. It's possible they were my younger sister's and she never had occasion to use them.
20180625_144848_edited-2.jpg
20180625_145122_edited-2.jpg
20180625_145155_edited-2.jpg

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Porsche - Ski Vehicles - Pugski.jpg