• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

All Things Golf

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I spent the day with Carl Jackson today. He's the older brother of my kids' Godfather. We helped supprt a cookout for Urban Ministries and Carl's Kids. I was flipping burgers and spinning hot dogs all afternoon and we all had a great time.

13450279_1321115684570633_769971257198994647_n.jpg

13423764_1320972231251645_3188650663264992736_n.jpg

What's up in your golf world these days?

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I should probably give a little more info. Carl's Kids Foundation is still in its infancy just starting out, mostly a concept. I'm not recommending anyone donate to it, especially at this stage. The guy is legit who he says he is and his brother and some local church folks are trying to make the vision happen. I'd not recommend making any donations until they can get an actual tax exempt business ID. . They're not there yet, currently working under the local Urban Ministries business charity umbrella.

I will volunteer time and golf course expenses to teach some kids how to hit golf balls though. The plan is to have the next event at a local course. Until that becomes reality this is just a vision and concept with potential but not a solid.

Anyway, back to other golf stuff.. involving actual golf!

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
this is all I'll say on the topic of golf...well, I'll let Robin Williams do the talking.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've played golf on and off since I was 10 years old, longer than I've been skiing by a couple years. Despite that I'm still a hacker, but I can really enjoy playing the game in the right scenario. I was down to about one round a year for the past decade, but since my semi-retirement last year I've gotten back into it more and have played about a dozen rounds or partial rounds since then. I got a feeling between the different ski forums there could be enough interested parties to put together well attended regional Golf Gatherings such as a fall weekend at Myrtle Beach, SC for example. My impression is that there are some scratch or close to scratch golfers on Epic. Kind of late to plan now, but maybe next fall? It would have to be outside ski season! I'm talking big now, but it's possible my wife who I have trained to be a ski widow, would not take kindly to also becoming a golf widow:-o

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Golf season here is winding down. Greens are punched, getting cold, lots of frost delays, etc. Up here I consider anything past Canadian Thanksgiving to be bonus days (usually playing until the last week of October) but not super interested in playing right now. (gearing up for ski season!)

I play a lot of golf (usually 80-90 rounds/season; our season is from mid-April to about mid-October), it's actually my #1 and if given a choice would choose it over skiing (I know blasphemy on a ski forum but it's the truth).
Used to play competitive golf on amateur tours and the qualified for a number of provincial open (pro) events. Those days are long past, but I can still play and hold a very low (scratch handicap which occasionally bumps to 1 for short periods....at least until I put in another low round to replace the one that got kicked out). I used to play to a plus cap. Love the game and all the nuances associated with "how" to play the course based on course design and probabilities. "Every Shot Counts" is a great book my Mark Broadie (he came up with the whole strokes gained stat) if you are into numbers.

Sponsor

Staff online