• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
All Things Franz Klammer

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

IMG_0361.JPG

Pinterest

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

SKI Sep 1976

Last edited:
TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
image.jpeg

Snow Country Nov 1991

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Franz Klammer and myself in Vail from a few years ago -
image.jpeg

Took the below pic at the Legends Race at the American Ski Classic -
Klammer by Petersen.JPG

Last edited:
TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
image.jpeg

image.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Pinterest

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
image.jpeg

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Somewhere there is a wax figure of Klammer -
image.jpeg

image.png

Last edited:
TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I think this thread needs some posts from @Doug Briggs ...most likely the only Pugski member to have raced against Franz Klammer.

Last edited:
TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
image.jpeg

SKIING Oct 1978

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I think this thread needs some posts from @Doug Briggs ...most likely the only Pugski member to have raced against Franz Klammer.

Ok, @Dave Petersen.

As my story would otherwise be pretty short I'm starting with an introduction of my racing career to whet your appetite.

My downhill racing career started in the early 70s at Mt. Cranmore on hand-me-down gear from Tyler Palmer. We lived in the same area and he generously donated gear to me.

kandahar DH training.jpg

Briggs 1.jpg

I took to DH pretty quickly and had some good results. After a few seasons of big and small races, I won the '76 Jr. National DH race at Waterville Valley which earned me a trip to Copper, CO for the '76 Nationals. I unfortunately tanked there.

1976 us national alpine championships credentials.jpg

During the summer that followed, I went to a 3 week Salomon camp in Bariloche where I earned some good FIS points in a DH race they held while we were there.

bariloche_1_lg.jpg

I also met Harold Schoenhaar, Head Men's Coach for the US Ski Team. I was named to the D team a bit later.

The following winter I was having a great season racing on the east coast. I'd taken the winter off from college to race and train with Georg Capaul at Waterville Valley. I eventually wound up winning the Eastern Cup with a combination of SL, GS and DH results.

750000 Waterville Valley SL 1.jpg

SL at WV

Stratton GS CCI09202016_0001.jpg

GS at Stratton
That earned me a trip to the Sun Valley USSA Nationals and a pair of DHs at Heavenly Valley. This would be the first time Franz and I passed through the same start gate. It was not a good snow year in the West so we were racing on a modified course, not the usual Men's DH.

While Klammer was the Kaiser, there were a few other recognizable names in these results.

world cup - heavenly valley 77 race 1.jpg

world cup - heavenly valley 77 race 2.jpg

I don't recall these events vividly, but I guess I really stepped it up in the second race. ;-) After the races at Heavenly I raced at Sugarloaf in what was a who's who of NA DH racers at the time.

Sugarloaf Schuss Spring Series 77.jpg

You could say my March was pretty good. I suspect that these results clinched my being named to the "B" team.

During the ensuing summer, I trained off and on with the US Team. Back then you were more or less on your own for many months. I trained according to a manual that the team provided and kept track of my performance. The team met for some evaluations in CO which included physical testing, training and some time in a wind tunnel. 3 weeks at Portillo ended up being a lot of fun although at the time I was pretty disappointed by all the fresh snow that kept us from traveling to Bariloche; what a dope I was.

CCI09202016_0001.jpg

CCI09202016_0002.jpg

In the fall we traveled as a group to Hintertux for some on snow training on the glacier. The Austrians as well as others were there too. I was a naive, shy, young pup and didn't interact with the other teams so while I trained next to Klammer, I didn't talk to him at all. Again, what a dope. I do remember seeing his sweet BMW 3.0CS parked on the road.

I raced in a couple of Europa Cup races late in '77 as a prelude to the WC. This is at Tignes.

771200 Tignes on course.jpg

I'd race against him again in Val d'Isere and part of a training run at Val Gardena during the '78 World Cup. The 'part of a training run' is another story all to itself: https://forum.pugski.com/threads/best-ski-crash-photos.2596/#post-56515

Last edited:
TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
1DEE0C5C-F820-4F98-BA96-75EE7B01D4DC.jpeg

From Pinterest

Sponsor

Staff online