• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
Me ??
Change the bindings ?
Well ... if they do not break when I adjust them with my boots , it is a go !
I have seen quite a few broken ... I align the broken parts along the bay window inside my house ... My take on that is that the material was not chosen correctly but the breaks are compounded by the way the skis were stored .
So if I am lucky the bindings will hold for a few more years . By that time I will be too old to ski ( never ! ) or I will be dead ( I do not intend to ) or I will find a way to go to Florida in the winter and surf at my heart's desire ...

'' Safety Last ! '' as the title of the famous movie .
This is taken last weekend : I was skiing the 1973 Attack and the bindings were the original ones ...
bibiradar_orig.jpg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Me ??
Change the bindings ?
Well ... if they do not break when I adjust them with my boots , it is a go !
I have seen quite a few broken ... I align the broken parts along the bay window inside my house ... My take on that is that the material was not chosen correctly but the breaks are compounded by the way the skis were stored .
So if I am lucky the bindings will hold for a few more years . By that time I will be too old to ski ( never ! ) or I will be dead ( I do not intend to ) or I will find a way to go to Florida in the winter and surf at my heart's desire ...

'' Safety Last ! '' as the title of the famous movie .
This is taken last weekend : I was skiing the 1973 Attack and the bindings were the original ones ...
View attachment 90927
1973 Attack ???

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
From time to time , a collector has the good luck
rose.JPG
rosie.JPG
rosa.JPG
rosam.JPG
rosae.JPG
rosamus.JPG
rosis.JPG
rosit.JPG
to find a pair that is brand new .
Meaning totally new except for the passing of time in storage .

Dynastar TXP Kevlar 1031 , 180 cm , with Salomon 557 .

The colors , by themselves , are so vivid that the ski begs to be tried on the slopes .
Sadly they are too short for me but I will find someone , even if the Salomon have a bad reputation .
It is worth it ...

Back to the 1980 !
I went to the closest mall Saturday and , guess what ?
The 1980 fashion is coming back in style : all the fluo colors are there .
If only these skis were 205 !!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
From time to time , a collector has the good luck View attachment 91509 View attachment 91510 View attachment 91511 View attachment 91512 View attachment 91514 View attachment 91515 View attachment 91516 View attachment 91517 to find a pair that is brand new .
Meaning totally new except for the passing of time in storage .

Dynastar TXP Kevlar 1031 , 180 cm , with Salomon 557 .

The colors , by themselves , are so vivid that the ski begs to be tried on the slopes .
Sadly they are too short for me but I will find someone , even if the Salomon have a bad reputation .
It is worth it ...

Back to the 1980 !
I went to the closest mall Saturday and , guess what ?
The 1980 fashion is coming back in style : all the fluo colors are there .
If only these skis were 205 !!
Even though it's a 180 I bet you can still have fun on them. Why not give them a try.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
My beloved Dynastar Assault V8s circa mid 1990s

Ahhh. Just look at those bases. Just oozes 1990s.

I just loved those skis. I was very late to embrace the shaped ski revolution and skied on these through the early 2000s.

Good memories.

Attachments

• IMG_20200604_171050.jpg
    IMG_20200604_171050.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20200604_171057.jpg
    IMG_20200604_171057.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20200604_171113.jpg
    IMG_20200604_171113.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 49

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
195s will just fit into these at there smallest adjustment otherwise would not bother taking them out for a spin before I take off this ghastly binding color mis match :roflmao: but I think I have run out of green skis to put them on.

IMG_1737.JPG

Dan

Putting on skis
Skier
Took these out for a second time. First time was heavy wet snow and tough. This time a good firm surface and they were fun. Surprisingly turney, but had to be worked right. A little too far back could be deadly. Circa 1970 S230 200cm
IMG_20210110_152052976.jpg

IMG_20210110_144330715_HDR.jpg

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
I recently collected a bunch of my OLD skis from where I tossed them into storage 15+ years ago. Most got cut up for an Adirondack chair, but I found these Dynastar Big skis in the pile. I forgot I had them. I got these around 1998'ish? I know they NEVER were skied. The skis have been laying in a barn with a fat storage wax coating on them. I had them mounted with some Markers originally, but I must of scavenged those for something else.

190cm looks like 115/90/108'ish

I'm thinking of filling the holes and tossing some pivots I have laying around on them and then shredding them. They aren't a 'powder' ski by todays standards but might be a fun spring ski. Seem relatively stiff on the garage flex-o-meter.

Anyone ever skied these??

Attachments

• IMG_4983.JPG
    IMG_4983.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 48

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I skied their cousins, the Altiplume. They came out in the mid '90s. The Big was considered a powder ski at the time. The 'plume was a traditional shape, straight ski: Both the Altiplume and the Big were foam core skis. They used a particular 'advanced' foam that was ridiculously light but also stupid brittle. I had two pairs of Altiplumes, both pairs had snapped cores. They didn't come split or delaminate, they just didn't have the desired flex anymore. The first pair were covered under warranty. The second pair? They said, two strikes and you're out. Remarkably I still have the second pair and they ski 'ok'. I have them mounted with Fritschi Diamirs (not shown below). Incidentally, the Verticals were a great all mountain ski with similar shape to the 'plumes but a wood (I believe) core. Certainly more durable; I never broke them.

20160208_114525.jpg

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
I missed the short ski era.
Recently picked these Dynastars out of a $5 barrel under the misguided impression the Marker M36's would be a useful swap onto the Head Master or even Dynamics, instead of the antediluvian sets in place.
People here set me straight.
Being out of skiing so long, i did not realize late era bindings are mostly plastic, and "exploding" heels is even a step beyond that pejorative applied to old Rotamats.

Are the 185 Dynastars from the short ski era, for an adult male?
Or are they merely short skis from an earlier period, for a shorter lighter person?
Worth a test drive since they can adjust perfectly for my current boots and the skis were put away with apparently a fresh tune? stats 160/6'-0/68yrs Or just drop them back off at one of the barrels around town?

Thanks!
smt

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    401.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
Bump -

Any comments on whether i should waste a quick tune on these and take for a spin?
Understanding the marker inevitable plastic exploding heel potential notwithstanding?
Were they from the short ski era when a 6' guy like me might use them (185 cm) for bump skiing?
Or were they merely skis for a shorter, lighter person?

They were put away by whoever owned last in good shape, but the edges are seriously rusty, so not a direct check-the-bindings,
DSC_0003.JPG
clamp-on-&-go proposition.

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
Found a description Ski magazine 1989 buyers guide.
Listed under this category.
$325 list.
Based on length matrix in that issue, aprox my size.
However, looks like they are fence material, or back into a different $5 barrel.
:)
unnamed(1).png

Sponsor