• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Time for some short stuff. S530 with Besser bindings.

195, 180, 170, 170, 160, 150
View attachment 46975
Oh those Besser bindings. I have used them a few times back than, they just wouldn't me when skiing hard. Sadly the shop I worked in at the time used them as a demo binding because they were easy to set for different boots.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Dynastar Pack - Pugski - Petersen Collection.jpg

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Made a collage of my Dynastar Course Skis, brochures, t-necks, ads, etc.

View attachment 47001

I bought a pair of these exact skis in 207cm length when I was skiing in Chamonix France. I loved how they looked, but I have to say these were the only pair of skis that I didn't get along with. These things would not turn to save their life. The weight at the tip was completely bogus as well. Looking back at all the old pic's and posts, Dynastar had some ballsy advertising and marketing.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
My goodness. I keep seeing these threads pop up in which I have no posts!

20160428_105138.jpg

L to R
2017 Cham 2.0 117 (190) - still have these awesome powder skis
2017 Cham 2.0 107 (183) - I sold these due to some overlap
1976 Descente (223) - I won the '76 N. A. Jr. championship on these skis
*? Starglass (210?) - I haven't skied these
*? Coupe X9 (204?) - I haven't skied these but want to
*? Course CMG (204?) - I haven't skied these
1990s Vertical (200) - really great skis in the day, hard chargers
1990s Altiplume (200) - very light; they used the same high tech core material as the BIGs. I used these tele when they were new; I put the Fritchis on for giggles as they were being retired. The cores would snap on these really easily as they were designed for ski-mo, not hard charging. These have a broken core but still ski just fine.
*? Omesoft (190?) - powder specific ski - I haven't skied these
*? (Flex) Median (180?) - I haven't skied these

I am contemplating thinning out my collection of skis in general. :eek: Anything that is starred (*) is up for re-distribution. I'm only looking to cover shipping which is usually upwards of $40. The skis are free.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Does he live in Breck as well?

Yes. He skis almost every day. Mostly groomers, non-stop. I met C. J. on a powder day on Peak 9 when we literally crossed paths. I passed 10 - 20 m in front of him on a nice fall line and we actually introduced ourselves on the chair. He visits the shop and does a lot of fun stuff in town like dressing up as George Washington on the Fourth and reading the Declaration of Independence. He is quite active socially, too, dressing up for other holidays and generally just being seen. He skis in virtually the same boots now as in the picture, rebuilding/replacing a clog, buckle or cuff as needed from his stock pile of gear. He's a really nice guy.

A friend of mine tried his hand at speed skiing, entering the production class at Sun Peaks(?) in Canada. I mounted his bindings and I introduced him to C.J. The three of us had dinner one night and C.J. shared a load of tips with Brooks. Brooks broke 100 mph and I think he can attribute a lot of that to C.J.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
SKIING Jan 1975 - Dynastar - Pugski - Petersen.jpg

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ready to go! Found another pair of green Forza and a green bag. I think I would actually get razzed if I showed up on the hill with all this matching gear.:roflmao:

IMG_0326.JPG

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ready to go! Found another pair of green Forza and a green bag. I think I would actually get razzed if I showed up on the hill with all this matching gear.:roflmao:

View attachment 54175
I am sure he had black/green Flexon Comps. I know I would have. Don't judge me ;) .

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am sure he had black/green Flexon Comps. I know I would have. Don't judge me ;) .

Why stop now. The boots are on the radar. All this green reminds me when the kiwi green modern pivots came out they were described as the new orange or something like that on a thread on the other site. It would seem green was the new orange at least once before. : )

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
LOL, an all things Dynastar thread. Ok, why not? One reason I color edited the photo here,

https://www.pugski.com/threads/photo-of-the-day.2083/page-35#post-272195

is pure aesthetics. The other reason is,

all about Dynastar! :)

IMG_0302.JPG

as this one is,

IMG_0303.JPG

and, this one

IMG_0305.JPG

and, so blatantly this one!

IMG_0568.JPG

I mean, way too commercial don't you think?

Sethmasia

Putting on skis
Contributor
https://skiinghistory.org/history/dynastar-mv2-short-history

Dynastar's MV2 was definitely not a clone of Rossignol's Strato. For one thing, the Strato was fiberglass, the MV2 aluminum. See the link for the full story of the MV2, but here's the summary:

Aluflex formed a partnership with ski-binding distributor Claude Joseph, who had begun building fiberglass skis under the company name Les Plastiques Synthetiques. Ressorts du Nord (manufacturer of Aluflex) built a new factory in Sallanches, just down-valley from Chamonix. The glass ski was named Starflex, to be marketed alongside Aluflex.

The chief engineer at the Sallanches factory was Jean “Jeannot” Liard. He developed the Starflex fiberglass ski into a slalom model called the Compound RG5 (RG for resin glass, an Anglicized tribute to the Dynamic VR7). Air bubbles in the resin caused the tips to break. Liard called on engineers from Dynamic to help iron out the production problem. In order to repair the RG5 reputation, the new company paid Michal for the right to put a Dynamic seal of approval on every RG ski -- then launched the Dynastar brand. Michal and his team weren’t amused by the copy-cat branding, and killed the consulting relationship.

Meanwhile Liard needed to modernize the Aluflex. Onto the existing aluminum layers (flat base, hat-section top rib) he added a flat aluminum topsheet. The ski now contained three layers of aluminum and three strips of wood (one under the “hat” rib, one on each side). It was stable, precise and very fast. Liard named the ski MV2 for “mass times velocity squared,” the formula for calculating energy. And that’s the ski you’re looking at here – a direct descendent of the Connecticut-built Alu 60 of 1947. –Seth Masia, International Skiing History Association