• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I always wondered how much of a problem it would be if you were to hurt yourself, like a broken bone, or a messed up knee or such, your ski was buried in the snow or it was somehow held away from you, and the cable began to retract. It made me concerned, but I never really researched it. Never had a pair.

Dan

Putting on skis
Skier
IMG_20190217_154422787.jpg
What a day. Circa 1978 Burt II's and K2 244SC skis in the great snow of 2019. Tumbled in deep powder wiggled my foot and continued right along.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
View attachment 65972 What a day. Circa 1978 Burt II's and K2 244SC skis in the great snow of 2019. Tumbled in deep powder wiggled my foot and continued right along.
I bet you got a few strange looks in the lift lines. Did anyone say anything to you about the bindings?

Dan

Putting on skis
Skier
I bet you got a few strange looks in the lift lines. Did anyone say anything to you about the bindings?

I got "Rad skis" from someone on a lift above, but probably not about the Burt's. But really, the answer to your question is "Kids these days" . Too busy jumping off cliffs and playing tunes out of their packs (and I'm not talking classic fanny packs) to notice a bit of ski history.

This setup is 40 years old . Only skiers above 60 would be likely to remember that Burt existed. But when I ride up with someone that comments on the straight skis, I grab the tip, twist out of the toe and show how it springs back. Usually to "that's cool" or "that's weird". And I agree to both comments.

CLambiase

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi all, Got my Burt bindings in '78. They were "used" at the time and mounted on a pair of Hexel honeycomb skis. Skied on the Burts this year to lots of odd looks on the slopes. A few years back I acquired lots of parts to repair the bindings and was wondering if anyone needed repairs or parts?

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hi all, Got my Burt bindings in '78. They were "used" at the time and mounted on a pair of Hexel honeycomb skis. Skied on the Burts this year to lots of odd looks on the slopes. A few years back I acquired lots of parts to repair the bindings and was wondering if anyone needed repairs or parts?
Hi!
Don’t need any parts but I had mine in 75-77. Broke one of the spiral springs. My brother who is a genius (14 at the time) bent a new hook on it and re-tempered the spring. Never had another problem. As odd as they are, I liked them although I think the second and third generations are better than my
1st generation model. Wish there was more outside the box thinking like that now.

Uncle-A

Skier
Hi!
Don’t need any parts but I had mine in 75-77. Broke one of the spiral springs. My brother who is a genius (14 at the time) bent a new hook on it and re-tempered the spring. Never had another problem. As odd as they are, I liked them although I think the second and third generations are better than my
1st generation model. Wish there was more outside the box thinking like that now.
When your brother bent a new tip on the spring it made it shorter by just a little bit and I was wondering if it had any affect on the safety settings because it was now shorter? Seems like it should have had something to do with the setting.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When your brother bent a new tip on the spring it made it shorter by just a little bit and I was wondering if it had any affect on the safety settings because it was now shorter? Seems like it should have had something to do with the setting.
If I remember correctly not much-we had them put on a plunger release check and it worked. If I recall, techs hated the Burts because they didn’t release as much as uncoil. The spring, approximately 10”
uncoiled was probably only 3/8” shorter overall.
(an Allen key adjusted the spring tension If I remember correctly.) . But yes, that was an issue. In retrospect my brothers knowledge and skills at that age knock me out. Not sure I’d be smart enough to do that now.

Uncle-A

Skier
If I remember correctly not much-we had them put on a plunger release check and it worked. If I recall, techs hated the Burts because they didn’t release as much as uncoil. The spring, approximately 10”
uncoiled was probably only 3/8” shorter overall.
(an Allen key adjusted the spring tension If I remember correctly.) . But yes, that was an issue. In retrospect my brothers knowledge and skills at that age knock me out. Not sure I’d be smart enough to do that now.
I understand that the tech did not like the Burt, many called it a yo yo binding because the cable would wind and unwind like a yo yo. I owned a set of first generation Burt bindings and my main complaint was about the weight. I sold them after only one season if my memory serves me. I never tried the lighter version but just moved on to a conventional binding.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I just pulled a pair of Burts off some Olins. They are free for shipping.

IMG_20200622_154653663_HDR.jpg

BTW, was it customary to glue the ski part of the binding to the ski in addition, of course, to using the screws? I'm going to have to gently heat these up to release them from the topsheet.

IMG_20200622_162906700.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Uncle-A

Skier
I just pulled a pair of Burts off some Olins. They are free for shipping.

View attachment 105000

BTW, was it customary to glue the ski part of the binding to the ski in addition, of course, to using the screws? I'm going to have to gently heat these up to release them from the topsheet.

View attachment 105001
No, we never would put glue on the plates that are on the surface of the ski. It must have been a sloppy ski mechanic. Is it the front plate, back plate, or both?

Sponsor

Staff online