• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

All Season Tire Advancements

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
As if you're going to see a new mid-engine Vette (or any other for that matter) out in even an inch of snow.
In my lifetime I have not seen one.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
My takeaway from that article?

If the new 4S tire is just as balanced and progressive at the limit as the old summer tire - then the new summer tire probably isn't balanced or progressive at normal human driving levels. :roflmao:

Tò bad it's a runflat.

Why does it matter?

As if you're going to see a new mid-engine Vette (or any other for that matter) out in even an inch of snow.

Move down here, you'll see several in your first winter. TBH the C6 had better traction control and better braking than most of what's on the Beltway today in any given storm.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
MVIMG_20171223_205819.jpg

Granted, it was a surprise storm. I looked at the tires. Can't remember what they were, but recall thinking it wouldn't be able to even back out given the incline of the parking spot.

I wonder if those new Michelins would let it get home. Still probably better to take an Uber.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier

I passed a Vette fishtailing his way up the road to Huntah in two feet of fresh snow. Not sure if he ever made it past the falls. Maybe his Trans Am was in the shop.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not really a snow tire thread, guys.

Just pointing out that Michelin is getting summer tire performance out of a 3 season tire.

Great engineering and rubber chemistry advancement, IMO.

@cantunamunch, you are right about the C6's traction control. I drove a client's in snow -- briefly -- and was blown away. Flat roads and all in the Philly area, but still.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I'll take a good limited slip diff (or two or three!) over any traction control. But tires are still the bottom line for traction.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll take a good limited slip diff (or two or three!) over any traction control. But tires are still the bottom line for traction.

Right?!

Old story: When I was a kid, heading out for a winter of skiing at Jackson Hole, I installed a limited slip diff on -- of all things -- my RWD 1965 Dodge Dart, into which I had installed a much newer slant-six, transmission, and steering column.

The combination of not that much power (at all) and both wheels driving a pair of snow tires served me well!

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not really a snow tire thread, guys.

Just pointing out that Michelin is getting summer tire performance out of a 3 season tire.

Great engineering and rubber chemistry advancement, IMO.

@cantunamunch, you are right about the C6's traction control. I drove a client's in snow -- briefly -- and was blown away. Flat roads and all in the Philly area, but still.
Well, what's the point of the "All Season" part of the tires if it isn't that it won't necessarily kill you in a little snow?

Sounds like the base C8 will have a newer version 4 of these tires:

MICHELIN®_Pilot®_Family_of_Tires-1.jpg

If you were just looking for wet and dry performance, you'd go with these:

MICHELIN®_Pilot®_Family_of_Tires.jpg

Is there another reason to get the all-season Pilots if not snow? Cold? Am I missing something?

https://www.michelinman.com/US/en/passion-for-driving/pilot-sport-tires.html

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is there another reason to get the all-season Pilots if not snow? Cold? Am I missing something?

I think that Tadge Jeuchter (sp?) said the idea was to get summer tire performance out of a 3 seasons tire.

Summer tires are pretty slippery at low temps, even without snow or rain.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I think that Tadge Jeuchter (sp?) said the idea was to get summer tire performance out of a 3 seasons tire.

Summer tires are pretty slippery at low temps, even without snow or rain.

I have performance summer tires that clearly state NOT for use in temps below 40 degree F. And not just because they will have less traction, Actual damage to the tire is likely.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier

Rumor has it the C8 Z06 'Vette will be AWD with dual hybrid motors driving the front wheels and a 1000hp DOHC twin turbo V8 with a flat plane crank driving the rear.

Sounds like a 9000RPM ski car to me.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online