• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

All season/all weather M+S tires for my 2018 VW Golf R

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Too bad those Michelon Cross Climate + tires are not Ultra High Performance rated & it doesn't look like they make the Michelin A/S 3+ for my wheel size. Apparently I need to be a member to to look at the Consumer Reports ratings :(

CR puts the Toyo Proxes into the "Ultra-High-Performance All-Season" category, and they don't do well. They are forth from the bottom out of 21 tires tested with an overall score of 62. The winter performance looks scary to me, as one would expect from the category, with "Good" snow traction and "Fair" ice braking.

The top tire in that category is the Michelin A/S 3+ with an overall score of 78 and "Good" snow traction and "Good" ice braking. It has better summer and wet performance than the Toyo and it lasts longer.
Scary! winter performance is not really what I am looking for but I am looking for a tire that will perform year round. For that I would be willing to sacrifice some winter performance. I can drive conservatively in the snow but I do like to drive hard when I get the opportunity & conditions are relatively safe. This is my favorite road...
Old Snowbasin Road.jpg

Sounds like the Toyo didn't rank very well in other categories either?
@tball , I'm wondering if you can tell me where the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All Season & the Pirelli P-Zero All Season Plus ranked? I've had at least similar tires on previous vehicles. I loved the Pirelli's but they wore out fast. The Goodyear's wore much better & were probably better in the snow as well. Of course the Toyos are about $25 cheaper each.
Thanks!

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Apparently I need to be a member to to look at the Consumer Reports ratings :(
Or you could buy the magazine (but it is $6.99). I have it right in front of me, so, to answer your question above:

The Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus ranked 2nd in the Ultra High Performance All-Season category. It is CR "recommended." Dry braking and wet braking were rated as above average (one arrow), handling and hydroplaning resistance, and noise were best ratings (two arrows), snow traction, ice traction, and ride were average, and rollling resistance was one arrow below average. Total score was 76, and it got a 50k tread life rating.

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season ranked 7th (out of 21), same category. It received best rating (two arrows up) for dry braking, one arrow above average for wet braking,handling, and hydroplaning resistance. Ice traction rated average, and snow traction, ride, noise and rolling resistance rated one below average. Total score was 72, and received 50k tread life rating.

Looks like the Pirellis are lower cost too: $126 vs $147.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Looks like the Pirellis are lower cost too: $126 vs $147.

Wow, thanks @luliski !
Both are right around $200 on Tire Rack & Discount tire. It's funny cuz the Pirellis were my first hit when I began my search months ago. BTW the summer tires that came on the car are also Pirelli P zeros.
Now, how do I get them for $126? Maybe different price for different size?

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure about the price thing. I can't find anything about size tested. They just have the price under "price paid."

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last edited:
TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Great, this is very helpful. After reading more about the Pirelli from consumer reviews it doesn’t sound like they wear great, which is the experience I had years ago when I ran P-Zero 9 all seasons on my 02’ WRX. It may be worth the extra money for the BF goodrich tires just for the extra wear. Their noise rating is the worst but I guess that’s why I have a powerful sound system in the car, I can just turn it up!
I don’t remember the goodrich coming up in any of my searches, so I will have to see if they make them in the tire size for my car.
Thanks

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Again the BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S do not come in my size. I think I am back to the Pirelli's unless ???

$200 from either Discount Tires or Tire Rack. DT has them at a Y speed rating (235 /35 R19 91Y XL BSW) & TR has them as a W (Serv. Desc: 91W), anyone know why this would be?

I remember seeing an investigative show about finding the "born on date" for tires years ago, anyone familiar?

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What about switching to the 18-inch rims that were also an OEM size on the Golf R? Given the needle you are trying to thread with both high performance dry and OK winter performance, it might be worth selling the OEM tires and rims you have to fund switching to another size rim that opens up more tire options.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
What about switching to the 18-inch rims that were also an OEM size on the Golf R? Given the needle you are trying to thread with both high performance dry and OK winter performance, it might be worth selling the OEM tires and rims you have to fund switching to another size rim that opens up more tire options.
Thanks, that is also an option I have thought about & worth entertaining. I think there would be a pretty limited market for what I am trying to sell but you never know.
I put my 17" rims up for sale, no bites yet & I'm running out of room for stowing stuff like this.
I am not opposed to the Pirelli's, like I said I have had them (or at least something similar) before & thought they were the best performing tire I had ever had. Just wore them out quickly.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
...thought they were the best performing tire I had ever had. Just wore them out quickly.
Isn't that usually the case with the best performing tires...they wear out the quickest. I was happy to get one summer 8-9K mines out of my Azanis 615's on the Miata...then again, they were only $65.00 a tire.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Isn't that usually the case with the best performing tires...they wear out the quickest. I was happy to get one summer 8-9K mines out of my Azanis 615's on the Miata...then again, they were only $65.00 a tire.
I feel better, I got 15K on the old Pirelli's. :doh:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I feel better, I got 15K on the old Pirelli's. :doh:
Yeah...I am bearly getting 20K out of a somewhat high performace tire on my VW's....15k from a UHP tire...'bout average.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Again the BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S do not come in my size. I think I am back to the Pirelli's unless ???

$200 from either Discount Tires or Tire Rack. DT has them at a Y speed rating (235 /35 R19 91Y XL BSW) & TR has them as a W (Serv. Desc: 91W), anyone know why this would be?

I remember seeing an investigative show about finding the "born on date" for tires years ago, anyone familiar?

W 168 mph 270 km/h Exotic Sports Cars
Y 186 mph 300 km/h Exotic Sports Cars
These are both well above what your R requires for speed rating.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
W 168 mph 270 km/h Exotic Sports Cars
Y 186 mph 300 km/h Exotic Sports Cars
These are both well above what your R requires for speed rating.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

Yes thanks, perhaps I don’t ask that correctly. I was wondering why one was Y & the other W? If they made the same tire with different ratings?
Maybe it is a typo, but which one is correct.
I have had Z, W & Y rated tires in the past. Any speed rating is fine with me.
I didn’t know about how the Y & W ratings came about, interesting.
Anyway, even though the speedometer goes up to 200mph, I’m sure my maximum will be just under 168 ogwink

Last edited:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Yes thanks, perhaps I don’t ask that correctly. I was wondering why one was Y & the other W? If they made the same tire with different ratings?
Maybe it is a typo, but which one is correct.
I have had Z, W & Y rated tires in the past. Any speed rating is fine with me.
I didn’t know about how the Y & W ratings came about, interesting.
Anyway, even though the speedometer goes up to 200mph, I’m sure my maximum will be just under 168 ogwink

Yes, it is very common to make the high end tires in a few different speed ratings. Much like the octane rating of gasoline, don't buy more than what is needed. Relating to tires, the ride will be harsher do to the stiffer sidewalls needed to prevent carcass heat rise in the higher speed ranges.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Yes, it is very common to make the high end tires in a few different speed ratings. Much like the octane rating of gasoline, don't buy more than what is needed. Relating to tires, the ride will be harsher do to the stiffer sidewalls needed to prevent carcass heat rise in the higher speed ranges.
Ahha, good to know. Thanks

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
A quick update. Ended up with the Pirelli P-Zero Plus All Season from Tire Rack mounted on my stock rims. Their performance on dry pavement seems almost, if not just as good as the original high-performance Pirelli’s that came on the car. A PB record time trip to Mammoth over Monitor Pass of 2 hours and 20 minutes helped prove that.
My Thanksgiving trip to Santa Cruz over Highway 17 during near flood rainstorm conditions showed their wet road abilities were quite satisfactory.
The next test was how will they do in the snow?
In the past week I have made two trips around Emerald Bay on highway 89 on the west shore of Lake Tahoe during R2 conditions (chains or 4WD with snow tires). First day was wet slushy snow and the going was slow but traction was fine. This morning was colder snow and the car handled it like a champ & for the most part I was able to maintain a speed of 40mph with a normal heart rate & dry palms. So far so good!
Granted I haven’t been in more than 6 inches of depth yet but I think that will be more of a clearance issue than traction.
I did notice a little wobble in the right front wheel for a while on the way home probably due to snow building in those fancy/bling rims as pointed out earlier in the thread by @ScotsSkier but nothing I can’t deal with.
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and input.
Happy winter :snow:

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This kind of performance from an all season tire makes me wonder whether we're five years or less away from dedicated winter tires becoming superfluous.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My Thanksgiving trip to Santa Cruz over Highway 17 during near flood rainstorm conditions showed their wet road abilities were quite satisfactory.
I did that drive on Thanksgiving night. Miserable conditions, especially the visibility in the rain and fog. It took me over three hours to get home, where as in the morning it took only two hours to get there. I bet your car is fun to drive on 17 when conditions are better!

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This kind of performance from an all season tire makes me wonder whether we're five years or less away from dedicated winter tires becoming superfluous.
I see it very differently. The performance of winter tires continues to improve as well.

Even with the best winter tires, conditions are frequently hazardous. Think icy roads at relatively high speeds where you need every advantage you can get. It's still going to take WAY longer to stop even with the best studded tires than on dry roads. All season tires don't have a chance.

What kind of tires does that car in front of you have? My studded Hakkapalitas will stop twice as fast on ice as all-season tires, if not faster. I have to watch my rear view mirror carefully. When I've needed to brake quickly on icy roads I've seen cars behind me a) slam into the median, and b) hit the car in front of me after I pull to the right into the emergency lane when it was obvious the car behind me couldn't stop.

Sponsor