• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Alchemist schmalqemist. No need for some super expensive gluten free vegan sticks. Stay with the baby seal skin plus metal, yum, in the Stocklis. The Foundations are quite good. Unless of course you try an Alchemist and fall hoplessly in love with it.

Pfft. Some of us own and enjoy both.

Demo a pair of Alchemists next year and write a review. I dare you.ogwink

TS
Olesya C

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
Olyesa, since you liked the rev 85 pro, the nordica navigator 90 should be on your demo very short list.
Thank you for suggestion. I was wondering how Navigator differ from Enforcer in terms of how they feel on the snow. I know the construction is different - Navigator has hex metal bridge and Enforcer has 2 layers of metal. I wondered how that translates into how they ski?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Updated demo list:

DPS Cassiar 87 Foundation
Head Kore 93
Stockli SR 88
Kastle FX 85 HP
Nordica Enforcer 93 in 177 cm
Renoun Z90
Brahma CA
Armada Invictus 89Ti
Experience 88

Some thoughts about the list - very interested in checking out Cassiar 87 and Kore 93. They sound a lot like what I am looking for on paper.

I wonder if I would overpower Brahma CA, thus I am interested in demoing them.

Skis I think I would probably enjoy skiing on even if I bought them without demoing are Enforcer 93 in 177 cm, Kastle FX85 HP and probably Kore 93. Enforcer I demoed in a longer length, Kastle I demoed FX95 and liked. Kore I think I would like because I own Magnums and demoed other Head skis in the past, besides Kore 93 is very light.

Thanks everyone for input!
Well, by the time you find all of those skis to demo..in the conditions that you actually be skiing them in, you wil be two thirds through the season and the popular ones will be sold out. By then, we will be starting to talk about the 19-20 models and you will be back to the drawing board. What a vicious cycle it is.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yep. Just buy the E88. Then demo other stuff. You can always sell it.

TS
Olesya C

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
Well, by the time you find all of those skis to demo..in the conditions that you actually be skiing them in, you wil be two thirds through the season and the popular ones will be sold out. By then, we will be starting to talk about the 19-20 models and you will be back to the drawing board. What a vicious cycle it is.
Oh I realize it's unlikely will be able to demo all of them. This is more of a possibility list. I was thinking to go to Stowe for a long weekend early season and demo a bunch. I think I will be able to find quite a few of the skis from the list. Then buy before the season gets into full swing. Of course there is something to be said for summer ski sales and great deals that can be found.

@James buying something then selling if I hate it has crossed my mind many times, just not for E88. I demoed E88 in 2015 and hated them. I know they have changed and improved, but I wouldn't buy them without demoing. Skis I could see myself buying without demoing would be Enforcer 93, Kore 93 or maybe used FX 85 HP. The rest on the list I either have hard time figuring out if I would like them or they are $$$ or both.

TS
Olesya C

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
Oh I realize it's unlikely will be able to demo all of them. This is more of a possibility list. I was thinking to go to Stowe for a long weekend early season and demo a bunch. I think I will be able to find quite a few of the skis from the list. Then buy before the season gets into full swing. Of course there is something to be said for summer ski sales and great deals that can be found.

@James buying something then selling if I hate it has crossed my mind many times, just not for E88. I demoed E88 in 2015 and hated them. I know they have changed and improved, but I wouldn't buy them without demoing. Skis I could see myself buying without demoing would be Enforcer 93, Kore 93 or maybe used FX 85 HP. The rest on th elist I either have no idea if I would like them or they are $$$ or both.

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider

that's exactly what I meant talking about "needle in haystack" not to mention add time/effort to find ski you like at the price below MSRP in beginning of the season.

This why years ago I started design and build skis… Much faster this way and I always get latest and greatest before first snow:ogcool:

https://www.pugski.com/threads/madrussian-skis.2191/page-5#post-194721

TS
Olesya C

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
Fine advice on a fine-looking ski.

Overthinking this stuff can drive one crazy.
Yes and no. I get what @James means and there is truth to that, but I like researching and thinking about skis, especially in summer. It doesn't stress me out. Analytical mind of a scientist and all. :) I usually do an early season trip long weekend anyway so if it's Stowe instead the usual Whiteface it's all good. I am not excluding buying something before season starts, it just won't be now most likely.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@James buying something then selling if I hate it has crossed my mind many times, just not for E88. I demoed E88 in 2015 and hated them. I know they have changed and improved, but I wouldn't buy them without demoing. Skis I could see myself buying without demoing would be Enforcer 93, Kore 93 or maybe used FX 85 HP. The rest on the list I either have hard time figuring out if I would like them or they are $$$ or both.
The ONLY similarity between the old E88 and the new one is the name. They are two totally different skis, if you didn't like the old one..you will like the new one. IMHO, I would have the Cassiar 87, Navigator 85/90 and the Invictus 89Ti over the Enforcer 93, Kore 93 and FX85 for what you are asking for.

James

Out There
Instructor
@James buying something then selling if I hate it has crossed my mind many times, just not for E88. I demoed E88 in 2015 and hated them. I know they have changed and improved, but I wouldn't buy them without demoing. Skis I could see myself buying without demoing would be Enforcer 93, Kore 93 or maybe used FX 85 HP. The rest on th elist I either have no idea if I would like them or they are $$$ or both.
What fun is that? You've already skied all those except the Kore. ogsmile

Well if were talking used Kastles... perhaps you could find a 173cm MX 83. But that ski requires early edge angles and it's on the short side but what a ski. Def not the 183cm. It's not nearly the all arounder that some of these others are but it's got specialness. Like the Z90.

I'm very sure you would not hate the 2019 E88, just like you would not hate the Stockli SR 88.

TS
Olesya C

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier

Well if were talking used Kastles... perhaps you could find a 173cm MX 83. But that ski requires early edge angles and it's on the short side but what a ski. Def not the 183cm. It's not nearly the all arounder that some of these others are but it's got specialness. Like the Z90.

I'm very sure you would not hate the 2019 E88, just like you would not hate the Stockli SR 88.
I have read up some on 2019 E88 and I think you are right, seems like a ski I would enjoy. The shape and construction is very different form the previous years E88. Sounds like it's an easy-going in bumps, versatile ski that can still be skied fast on groomers - exactly the properties I am looking for. It has moved into my top 3 if I were to buy before the ski season starts. The top 3 right now are Invictus 89Ti, 2019 E88 and Cassiar 87 Foundation.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

@Olesya C FWIW, all of my skis were bought undemoed. I enjoy them all (once I finally figured out length, lol).

Unless you can demo for a large part of the ski day, in the conditions you plan on skiing them, then demoing isn’t always that helpful. Your Magnums and BMX105hp’s were purchased undemoed, and they’re both winners for you. So it’s highly plausible you can do the same with your all mountain ski.

If you had to decide between the three you mentioned undemoed, what would be your deciding factors? :popcorn:

TS
Olesya C

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
@Olesya C FWIW, all of my skis were bought undemoed. I enjoy them all (once I finally figured out length, lol).

Unless you can demo for a large part of the ski day, in the conditions you plan on skiing them, then demoing isn’t always that helpful. Your Magnums and BMX105hp’s were purchased undemoed, and they’re both winners for you. So it’s highly plausible you can do the same with your all mountain ski.

If you had to decide between the three you mentioned undemoed, what would be your deciding factors? :popcorn:
True, true. :) Probably price, in which case the Invictus wins by a big margin from the other two skis. E88 2019 is new so it's quite expensive, couldn't find any used demoes. Also hard snow performance. It doesn't need to be amazing hard snow performance, I got Magnums for the super icy days, but it needs to be adequate since I live on East Coast. I worry a bit about Cassiar 87's hard snow's performance because in the pugski long-term review for it someone mentioned they lose their composure on hard snow. Invictus performs well on hard snow according to reviews, is versatile and has an affordable price tag. Also @SBrown wrote it skis similar to FX85, so I will likely enjoy it.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Used demos just should not be purchased online. The number of places that "detune" the front usable edge is near 100%. It's just a question of how bad it is.
It's the same with any used ski too.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would not buy without a demo given you have a decent quiver already. You may not think ski x is any better than what you have.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Some of my best ski purchases have been undemoed. I've also had good luck purchasing demo skis from online retailers. I tend to favor certain retailers so usually buy from the same places.

Since you are looking at a ski 85mm and fatter I think you'll be fine demoing early season since this is a ski that won't get heavy use till mid season ish. It must feel good you don't have to rush in making a decision. That aside you seem to know what you want so I bet you'll happen upon a summer or fall deal.

I think this is very exciting.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online