• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Olesya C

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
I don’t think @Olesya C needs to avoid metal. She just wants a ski that is soft enough to be forgiving in bumps. Her current ski, the Kicker POTUS, is a carbon-wood-something ski, so I gather she’s trying to duplicate that feel. I agree that some metal-free skis can be stiff and heavy. My metal-containing SR83’s are soft, relatively. So are my Elans.
That's exactly right! I am not avoiding metal, just trying to find an all-mountain ski that's soft enough to be forgiving in bumps, like Wendy said above, but also stout enough for the occasion when I wanted to go fast on the groomer. If there are metal skis that can do that that will work, sounds like SR88 perhaps are in that category. I am very much intrigued by Cassiar 87 though. @Philpug thank you for the comment on Potus and Cassiar, that's very useful.

TS
Olesya C

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
I am 6' and 210 lbs. Based on what you are saying above, I would suggest you try the Volkl RTM or Kendo (177cm). Kendo tends to be more 'vague' in that it can be coerced to do anything, but doesn't want to do anything in particular. It is easy to smear. It does not tend to 'hook up' either.

Volkl RTM has a similar flex/stiffness to the Kendo. It can be smeared, but it tends to want to carve a bit more and is less vague. I own the Kendo. If I had the option, I would trade it for the RTM since the RTM is narrower and for me easier to carve. Kendo is biased more toward soft snow, and especially 3D soft snow, where it is fantastic. However, I find myself on harder snow more of the time.

Only con for the RTM is that dumb UVO thingy making rattling noises...

Both the RTM and Kendo have a lot of metal and are very damp. They do not seem playful to me. I like this, but you may not.

I used to ski Kenjas for several seasons and demoed Kendo, they are a lot of fun, but a bit much in bumps and tire me out after a long ski day. I demoed RTM too, several season ago, can't remember which widths, maybe 85 and they were too burly for me. I went from Kenjas to POTUS which is a bit softer than Kenjas probably.

I wonder if I should put off the decision until I can demo next winter. Cassiar 87 and SR88 are top contenders for demos. Just like @Wendy I strongly disliked Experience 88 when I demoed it 2 season ago, but if the new version is much different, it may be worth demoing them too.

Any input on Vantage 85? @Philpug @Tricia

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Any input on Vantage 85? @Philpug
The Vantage 85 is a ski for the skier you used to be...not the skier you stride to be...that is obvious in the $399 price point. Still the skis that come to mind still is the Cassiar 97 and the (not sure if mentioned) Nordica Navigator 90. The SR 88 is a gerat ski, but don't get the current version, next years is better.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder if I should put off the decision until I can demo next winter. Cassiar 87 and SR88 are top contenders for demos. Just like @Wendy I strongly disliked Experience 88 when I demoed it 2 season ago, but if the new version is much different, it may be worth demoing them too.

@Philpug @Tricia

If you’re traveling out West again next January, you’ll have the chance to demo DPS and Rossi at Alta. A trip to Stowe will give you a chance to demo Stockli, Rossi, and DPS there, too

TS
Olesya C

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
The Vantage 85 is a ski for the skier you used to be...not the skier you stride to be...that is obvious in the $399 price point. Still the skis that come to mind still is the Cassiar 97 and the (not sure if mentioned) Nordica Navigator 90. The SR 88 is a gerat ski, but don't get the current version, next years is better.
Thank you for feedback, that is helpful. That is what I started to think after reading about Vantage after reading some of the reviews. Yes, Nordica Navigator was another one I was looking into. With the Cassiar 87 do you recommend Foundation or Alchemist?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thank you for feedback, that is helpful. That is what I started to think after reading about Vantage after reading some of the reviews. Yes, Nordica Navigator was another one I was looking into. With the Cassiar 87 do you recommend Foundation or Alchemist?
I prefer the Foundation unless you are after the light weight of Alchemist for the uphill ascent.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I prefer the Foundation unless you are after the light weight of Alchemist for the uphill ascent.

@Olesya C , I am definitely not an advanced skier, so take it with a grain of salt. But I am about your size. The Foundation 94 and 95 @185 cm (different year models) didn't feel heavy to me, not at all. For what you are looking for, which is a playful ski with decent float, with carving capabilities but primarily easy to pivot around, these could be money. They seem to check all boxes. They felt pretty damp in choppy snow. I would probably go one size shorter for what you want. And perhpahs 87 instead of 94, like you are thinking, will make them more versatile. In comparison, like @James said above, the Z90 is more of a carver. Also smoother, IMHO. But it might lock you into a turn in places where you want to opt out and pivot. Not unforgiving, but it is a wide carver.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
...divided by a common language...

@Olesya C , I am definitely not an advanced skier, so take it with a grain of salt. But I am about your size. The Foundation 94 and 95 @185 cm (different year models) didn't feel heavy to me, not at all. For what you are looking for, which is a playful ski with decent float, with carving capabilities but primarily easy to pivot around, these could be money. They seem to check all boxes. They felt pretty damp in choppy snow. I would probably go one size shorter for what you want. And perhpahs 87 instead of 94, like you are thinking, will make them more versatile. In comparison, like @James said above, the Z90 is more of a carver. Also smoother, IMHO. But it might lock you into a turn in places where you want to opt out and pivot. Not unforgiving, but it is a wide carver.

I'm also no expert, but based on the descriptors above - playful, decent float, light(?), and easy to pivot around - I thought of the Dynastar Legend X I demoed at Mother's Day. It's slightly wider than your desired waist at 96, but it def doesn't feel that wide! I really loved this ski - it felt as easy to turn as my FX85s despite the 11mm difference. I have no idea how they would feel on East coast ice though....For you I would go with the 178.

TS
Olesya C

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
Thank you for input, that’s useful. Just to clarify I was asking Phil about Cassiar 87, not 95. I think that 95 is too wide for East Coast. I’m quite certain that 178 would be the right length for me.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Thank you for input, that’s useful. Just to clarify I was asking Phil about Cassiar 87, not 95. I think that 95 is too wide for East Coast. I’m quite certain that 178 would be the right length for me.

Yes, sorry, what I meant to say but I wasn't very clear, is that I only demoed the 95/94, but I would also think that the 87 would be better as an East/West ski. Heck, I spent the whole season in the West, on Rallies, and had a blast! Those are what, 74 ...

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I really liked the Cassiar 87; the Alchemist was amazing on groomed (very stable despite the light weight), lively and good in bumps, not bad off-piste, but on frozen crud I was getting pretty rattled. The Foundation was slightly damper in the crud. Overall I think I prefer the feel of the Alchemist.

That all said, I’ve got the Z-90 on order, as it’s dampening is freakishly amazing, while retaining a lot of the lively responsiveness that I love about the Cassiar 87’s.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm also no expert, but based on the descriptors above - playful, decent float, light(?), and easy to pivot around - I thought of the Dynastar Legend X I demoed at Mother's Day. It's slightly wider than your desired waist at 96, but it def doesn't feel that wide! I really loved this ski - it felt as easy to turn as my FX85s despite the 11mm difference. I have no idea how they would feel on East coast ice though....For you I would go with the 178.

Thats why there is a Legend X88!

I really liked the Cassiar 87; the Alchemist was amazing on groomed (very stable despite the light weight), lively and good in bumps, not bad off-piste, but on frozen crud I was getting pretty rattled. The Foundation was slightly damper in the crud. Overall I think I prefer the feel of the Alchemist.

That all said, I’ve got the Z-90 on order, as it’s dampening is freakishly amazing, while retaining a lot of the lively responsiveness that I love about the Cassiar 87’s.
The Z90 and Cassiar 87 are so different, they could coexist in the same quiver.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll be honest, I didn't read this whole thread, just skimmed it, so I apologize if I missed anything...But I'd like to throw the Armada Invictus 89Ti into the ring. Extremely versatile ski, does well on east coast hard pack. I found it to be a blast in bumps. You can push it, or you can dial it back and it's not going to punish you. A joy of a ski, IMO.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I agree...I’ve seen this ski, and I’d love to try it, even though I have no need..

I think she should demo them first.

Yes they are light, yes they hold on hardpack, yes they're (very) flickable, yes one can be confident at mid-high speeds.

BUT - for someone used to Stockli SRs the rockered tips and mounting point will feel weird, in a "are you *sure* about this?" way. They're also less damp than a Stockli Laser CX, which makes them far buzzier than an SR.

Extremely versatile ski, does well on east coast hard pack. I found it to be a blast in bumps. You can push it, or you can dial it back and it's not going to punish you. A joy of a ski, IMO.

I find the Invictus to be skier-weight sensitive, as in "my 175lb ski buddy loves them but my 200 lb buddy gave his pair away to the first guy".