• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

All-mountain ski that is great in the bumps

Dave Armento

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
After spending WAY too many hours researching, I need to get advice from the community.

I am an advanced skier who is 6' 0" and 170 lbs. I currently own some J MasterBlasters in a 175. They are a very good ski. The only area where they do not excel is in the bumps. They are pretty heavy and pretty darn stout, and they don't seem to love being in the moguls. I ski mostly on-piste, on black diamond runs, so I wind up being in the moguls A LOT. I want to get a ski that is more mogul friendly, but one that can ski the whole resort. I also want to get something a little lighter. The MasterBlaster is 2160 grams per ski.

I have looked at Hart and some of the other pure-mogul skis, and the super-narrow width worries me a little. These skis have widths of 66 to 75 mm, so they are probably awesome in mogul fields but bad everywhere else. I am think that a width of 75 to 90 max should be right. Feel free to correct me.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a lighter, mogul friendly ski that is about that that handles moguls great? One that can be skied on the whole mountain, but excels in moguls? Thanks in advance for any advice!!!!!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I find something with a soft-ish shovel, a bit of early rise, and not TOO much sidecut helps me out in the bumps significantly.

For example, my 185 cm Enforcer 100s and Motive 95s are actually less effort and more forgiving in bumps than my 177/180 Titans and GT84s.

But a 95-100 ski wouldn't really be ideal, if your actual emphasis is on mogul skiing!

James

Out There
Instructor
Kastle fx85 non hp is quite good in the bumps. I think STP was selling them cheap. Not the most exciting ski elsewhere but very respectable, esp at your weight. It's a very neutral ski. Not so sure about the hp version.

Scott Martin

Booting up
Skier
Rustler 9 is a good all around, versatile ski, still has metal for some dampness, but soft tips and tails, and a midway mount point, make it easy to pivot (pretty light also, ~1900 per ski at 180).

Another great bump ski that works well everywhere is the Blizzard Brahma CA/Bushwacker. Not as damp as the normal Brahma, but much lighter and playful (and still very energetic), and still carves well, just with a slightly lower speed limit (a lot of people consider the bushwacker one of the best mogul/hardish snow tree skis ever). The regular Brahma is great in the bumps also, but it's less forgiving.

Black Crows Orb is another great, 1900g ski. It's more damp than the Rustler 9/Bushwacker, a little less than the normal Brahma, and less than your MB. Its still relatively light, and very maneuverable though. Coming from the MBs, I think this would feel the most similar in how it skis (but 200g lighter/ski), even though it has a much more traditional mount point.

FX85 HP is a great ski, it is heavier than the non-HP version(1900ish per ski like the rustler 9/Orb, so lighter than your MBs), but still maneuverable. Probably between the Orb and regular Brahma in terms of quickness.

Some other options:
DPS Cassiar F87/F94 (a lot of fun off piste, not as good a carver)
Rossi Experience 88/94 Ti (more of a carver than the others in this list, including your MBs, but still versatile)

The Rustler has a similar mount point to your MBs (I'd call them mid-way mounts), the other skis are more traditional. I personally prefer a more traditional mount for moguls, I like having less tail to deal with.

EDIT: I will also throw out the Renoun Endurance 98 (my current daily driver). It's a crazy ski. Very light (1700 in a 185), but at high speeds is as damp as an enforcer 100. At slow speeds acts like a very light, soft ski, super easy to pivot, and floats really well. I feel it's as easy as my previous bushwackers (2016 version, so a little different than the current one) in moguls/trees, but is more damp than the 2018 Brahmas I recently sold when letting them go on groomers (though they have much less energy, it's a very weird dampness...). They are more expensive, but are a very unique ski.

Last edited:
TS
D

Dave Armento

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Rustler 9 is a good all around, versatile ski, still has metal for some dampness, but soft tips and tails, and a midway mount point, make it easy to pivot (pretty light also, ~1900 per ski at 180).

Another great bump ski that works well everywhere is the Blizzard Brahma CA/Bushwacker. Not as damp as the normal Brahma, but much lighter and playful (and still very energetic), and still carves well, just with a slightly lower speed limit (a lot of people consider the bushwacker one of the best mogul/hardish snow tree skis ever). The regular Brahma is great in the bumps also, but it's less forgiving.

Black Crows Orb is another great, 1900g ski. It's more damp than the Rustler 9/Bushwacker, a little less than the normal Brahma, and less than your MB. Its still relatively light, and very maneuverable though. Coming from the MBs, I think this would feel the most similar in how it skis (but 200g lighter/ski), even though it has a much more traditional mount point.

FX85 HP is a great ski, it is heavier than the non-HP version(1900ish per ski like the rustler 9/Orb, so lighter than your MBs), but still maneuverable. Probably between the Orb and regular Brahma in terms of quickness.

Some other options:
DPS Cassiar F87/F94 (a lot of fun off piste, not as good a carver)
Rossi Experience 88/94 Ti (more of a carver than the others in this list, including your MBs, but still versatile)

The Rustler has a similar mount point to your MBs (I'd call them mid-way mounts), the other skis are more traditional. I personally prefer a more traditional mount for moguls, I like having less tail to deal with.

EDIT: I will also throw out the Renoun Endurance 98 (my current daily driver). It's a crazy ski. Very light (1700 in a 185), but at high speeds is as damp as an enforcer 100. At slow speeds acts like a very light, soft ski, super easy to pivot, and floats really well. I feel it's as easy as my previous bushwackers (2016 version, so a little different than the current one) in moguls/trees, but is more damp than the 2018 Brahmas I recently sold when letting them go on groomers (though they have much less energy, it's a very weird dampness...). They are more expensive, but are a very unique ski.

Scott - Thanks for responding. I was actually looking at some 2018 Endurance skis from Renoun. Do you think they are good in the moguls? That would be good news. I was really focused on them, but then I wondered if they were more of just a bomber ski and not very good in the moguls. They talk a lot on their website about the stability of the ski, but don't say much about moguls. Let me know if you think these would be good in the bumps. Thanks again for responding!

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm a minority shouting in the wilderness, but I love my Nordica Navigator 85 (183 length) in the bumps, and everywhere else, too.
I'm enjoying my Naviagtor 80's of the same construction in the bumps too.

They are super easy to ski in the bumps. As a bonus, they are dirt cheap and a fantastic all-around ski for the money. I think it would be rare to find someone this ski wouldn't help make mogul skiing easier.

I posted more about them over here yesterday:
https://www.pugski.com/threads/best-one-ski-ski-school-quiver.6318/page-6#post-341728

Last edited:

Scott Martin

Booting up
Skier
Scott - Thanks for responding. I was actually looking at some 2018 Endurance skis from Renoun. Do you think they are good in the moguls? That would be good news. I was really focused on them, but then I wondered if they were more of just a bomber ski and not very good in the moguls. They talk a lot on their website about the stability of the ski, but don't say much about moguls. Let me know if you think these would be good in the bumps. Thanks again for responding!

It depends on how you like to ski moguls. If you like to charge and zipper line, then they are very similar to a GS ski (which is pretty much what pro mogul skiers use), very stiff, requires a lot of body absorption. The one difference is they are a very dead ski when you engage the HDT, they have very little pop. That's a bit weird when carving, you don't get much rebound coming out of the turn (and therefore really have to roll your edges between turns), but in bumps that's kind of a nice feature. Unlike a stiff ski with lots of pop, if you lose control a little and hit a few bumps harder than you intended, while you still have to do the absorption work, they aren't going to explode you back or forward if you lose your balance a little. I've skied my main race ski (Rossi Hero Master) back to back with the Renouns in moguls, and they felt similar when charging (except for the lack of pop), which is crazy. If you take a softer, more bases flat approach (which I tend to do), they are fantastic. They are super light, and if the speed is deliberate, relatively soft, and so easy to pivot. If you really like to push it through moguls, there are easier skis (ones with softer tips to help absorb the faces). But if you like to finesse your way down moguls, they are as good as any ski I've ever used, with the added bonus of being able to plow through crud and piled snow in groomers in a way no quick/lively ski ever could.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Whenever most people complain about a ski being “tough in the bumps” it is usually because that ski doesn’t have a softer flexing, “forgiving of getting in the backseat” tails.

Most common mistake of most skiers having issues with bumps is not keeping your upper body centered and stable as they are cresting a mogul and letting your lower body absorb them. Key is to always remember to have your skis maintain contact on the snow while up and over the bump. Never let your tips get in the air as they should be weighted down as you’re cresting the top of the bump.

If you happen to be backseat at all while cresting a bump, at stiffer tailed ski will buck you even further backseat and then you lose control and confidence. A softer tailed ski will be more forgiving of balance issues and won’t instantly punish you like a stiffer one will.

Once you learn to proper technique in the bumps, you can ski any ski in the bumps although some of course are still better than others. As others have mentioned even dedicated mogul skis could have unforgiving, stiff tails if they are designed for bump experts. Others like the Twister Mogul skis are softer and more forgiving to help improve the technique of those increasing their skills in the bumps. They are super versitle though on the rest of the hill.

Lots of great, forgiving skis that are fun all mountain already mentioned like the Navigator 80/85 or the Blizzard Bushwhacker(would be even more forgiving than the Rustler 9). These will allow mistakes in form and not punish you while you’re perfecting your technique that will eventually apply to any ski you use in moguls.

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
My favorite ski for spring bump skiing are my old Atomic Nomad Whiteouts. 121-79-107 Full camber, super light, soft tips and great grip when on edge. I ski 70% of the year on Elan 1010's and Apex's when not a ton of new snow. Both work great in bumps but for spring I like the soft, shorter, lighter whiteouts.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Unless you bumps are super hard pack the master blaster is a fine bump ski.

I dont own those, but I have skied them in the larger size and felt they were great in the bump. Weight really doesnt matter unless your trying to pivots and hop around from the backseat.

with that said my easiest bump skis (for me)from my large quiver.

1. 180cm Blizzard Brahma
2. 177cm Head Ititan
3. 181cm Blizzard WRC
4. 177cm Head Monster 83
5. 185cm Nordica Enforcer 93

The reality is, if your relying on skis for make a bump turn, there is something most likely fundementally wrong with how you ski. Bumps remains IMO the last place that you simply cant buy a turn for. Narrower is generally easy.

dropd9

Booting up
Skier
I currently ski Monster 83 177 which are fine bump skis for me. They replaced a pair of Navigator 80's which I utilized to improve my technique in moguls, which proved to me that it's the indian and not the arrow...as mentioned above. The Nav's did a great job at helping me build the confidence to drive the shovels of the ski for speed control, and IMO, gaining that confidence is the "hump" to overcome (no pun intended) to realize that while yes, some skis make it easier to progress/learn, other attributes of the M83's such as stiffer overall help on icy/firm bumps for more control in a whole different way.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Unless you bumps are super hard pack the master blaster is a fine bump ski.

I dont own those, but I have skied them in the larger size and felt they were great in the bump. Weight really doesnt matter unless your trying to pivots and hop around from the backseat.

with that said my easiest bump skis (for me)from my large quiver.

1. 180cm Blizzard Brahma
2. 177cm Head Ititan
3. 181cm Blizzard WRC
4. 177cm Head Monster 83
5. 185cm Nordica Enforcer 93

The reality is, if your relying on skis for make a bump turn, there is something most likely fundementally wrong with how you ski. Bumps remains IMO the last place that you simply cant buy a turn for. Narrower is generally easy.

The Brahma’s aren’t too stiff in the bumps?

Sponsor

Staff online