• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

All-Mountain Ski Recommendations

Kcip

Booting up
Skier
I have been skiing Volkl RTM 78s in a 163 for the last few year. It was my first set skis after a long break. They have served their purpose, but I am looking for an all-mountain ski that is better in variable conditions and off-piste. I recently had the opportunity to demo a bunch of skis. The ones that I took note of were:

Enforcer 88 (172), Experience 88ti (173), Monster 88 (170), QST 92 (177)

I skied the Enforcer early in the day and really liked them. They felt stable underfoot in some mixed snow conditions. I also skied them at the end of the day also and they were a little bit more effortful. I was tired. Of the first three, I found the Exp 88 the easiest to initiate a turn, but also the least damp. Honestly, I couldn’t really tell a huge difference between the first three skis (only got 1 run on each ski). They all felt somewhat similar and good skis.

The lighter weight of the QST was noticeable. I’m looking for some help narrowing this down. All of these seem like potential options. I would have liked to try the Navigator and K2 Pinnacle, but they weren’t available. I know that the Enforcer 88 is replacing the Navigator 90, but I was wondering how similar these skis are? I also don't know if I need something less demanding than the first three skis. I didn’t get an opportunity to try many skis (other than the QST), that were less stiff.

I also tried out the Atomic Vantage 90 (176) and Enforcer 93 (177) and ruled those out as they seem to be too much ski for me.

About me: Skiing 70% groomed, 30% off-piste – would like make this more like 50/50. East coast based, but split time between East and West coast. I get in 15-20 days per year. Intermediate-Advanced skier, 5’8, 175 pounds, 32 years old. Looking for a ski that can handle aggressiveness if required, but doesn’t need to be always skied that way.

Thanks for any help!

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I love my Head Kore 93s and I think they may be a bit more forgiving than the Enforcer 93 as well as being lighter. I've skied everything from VT boilerplate to knee deep UT powder on them. They're quite good in moguls and trees because they are so light and easy to pivot but they are also surprisingly stable at speed on the groomers. I'm 49 5' 8" 165lb advanced-expert(ish) and my Heads are 171 so the 177 Enforcer 93 may also have been a bit big for you especially coming off a 163.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The front half of the Navigator 90 is very similar to the Enforcer 88 but it is the back half and the flatter tail which makes it a better firm snow ski. You mention the Salomon QST 92, do you know if you tested this years or the new upcoming one? Next years replaced the Koroyd in the tip with cork and it is a noticable difference. While you mention the Pinnacle 88, I would dismiss that and move right to the upcoming Mindbender 90Ti.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Agree with @Philpug and would highly recommend you try the Mindbender 90Ti as it’s exactly what you want. Light and forgiving enough so that’s it easy to ski but heavy enough to handle tougher terrain or more aggressive skiing. Rustler 9 in 172cm would also be a fun ski that’s similar and easy to ski but not a wimp when you want to get on it.

Enforcer 88 is probably the least forgiving in stiffness of the Enforcer line and the Enforcer 93 you tried might have just been too long and heavy compared to the other skis you tried all day. I’d try the 93 in the 169cm as you might love it in that length. The extra weight of the skis like the Enforcers are what make them so good in bumpy terrain so I wouldn’t write them off before trying it again in a shorter length.

Mindbender 90Ti in 170cm and Rustler 9 in 172cm would also be “should demo” for you.

Also remember to keep in mind that demo skis have heavy demo bindings on them that can be MUCH heavier than the non demo bindings. The extra weight of the demo bindings is greater than the weight difference of any of the skis you tried so just keep that in mind. Whatever ski you end up getting will feel lighter and more playful with a traditional binding on them.

TS
K

Kcip

Booting up
Skier
The front half of the Navigator 90 is very similar to the Enforcer 88 but it is the back half and the flatter tail which makes it a better firm snow ski. You mention the Salomon QST 92, do you know if you tested this years or the new upcoming one? Next years replaced the Koroyd in the tip with cork and it is a noticable difference. While you mention the Pinnacle 88, I would dismiss that and move right to the upcoming Mindbender 90Ti.

It was the upcoming year for the QST. I'll look into the Mindbender 90 too! Thanks.

TS
K

Kcip

Booting up
Skier
How does is the Mindbender 90's performance on firm snow? I realize it's not going to carve as well as the Navigator, but how does it compare?

Ulysses

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I second the Kore 93. Tested the Kore 93, Rustler 9, Kendo, and Sky 7 in Whistler last week on groomers and variable snow and bumps. The length was about 170 except for the Sky which they only had in 180. I'm 62, 5"10" 160# level 7-8. I rate them Kore 93, Kendo, Rustler 9, and the Sky7 last. The Kore was definitely noticeably lighter, but it did not get tossed around. I was hesitant about the burliness reputation of the Kendo, but it was actually my second favorite. The Sky7 was not good in groomers. I wish I had tried the Exp 88.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
How does is the Mindbender 90's performance on firm snow? I realize it's not going to carve as well as the Navigator, but how does it compare?

The Mindbender 90Ti tail is more similar to the shape of an Enforcer rather than Navigator. The MB would be easier to release a turn or change turn shapes like the Enforcer and the Navigator might be a bit more "locked in" to a turn with it's flatter and more carving ski like tail shape. All three are great on piste but the navigator MIGHT have a touch more bite in harder snow but I bet it would be fairly close with all of them having pretty good firm snow performance.

Sponsor