• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Juice

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'm looking for a ski that will be able to ski in trees, moguls, slushy/soft snow, and groomers. I know I'm asking for a lot. I have a strong racing background so being able to rip a groomer is pretty important to me. I have been looking at some past year demo skis like the Head monster 88 and Kastle fx94. Are there any other skis I should look at? I have powder skis and plenty of race/carving skis, so I'm willing to give up a little bit of performance on each end (more so powder skiing).

I saw a bunch of pairs of head monster 88 (2015-2016) on eBay, and I'm thinking about buying a pair, but don't know what length I should get. I am 5'10'' 160lbs and a pretty aggressive skier. I'm stuck between the 177cm and the 184cm. What length would be best for the fx94's (2014-2015).

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I'm looking for a ski that will be able to ski in trees, moguls, slushy/soft snow, and groomers. I know I'm asking for a lot. I have a strong racing background so being able to rip a groomer is pretty important to me. I have been looking at some past year demo skis like the Head monster 88 and Kastle fx94. Are there any other skis I should look at? I have powder skis and plenty of race/carving skis, so I'm willing to give up a little bit of performance on each end (more so powder skiing).

I saw a bunch of pairs of head monster 88 (2015-2016) on eBay, and I'm thinking about buying a pair, but don't know what length I should get. I am 5'10'' 160lbs and a pretty aggressive skier. I'm stuck between the 177cm and the 184cm. What length would be best for the fx94's (2014-2015).

Monster 88 in 177cm. Awesome ski. I own a pair of the 2016-2017 model in 184cm. It is a pretty stiff ski but the 177cm length is more versatile for off trail specially at your weight. (I weight 190 lbs).

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Something in that 88-92 range.
Maybe something like the new Rossignol Experience 88, K2 Mindbender 90 Ti, Liberty VMT 92 or Evolve 90...Lots of really good options in this category, almost too many to list them all.

GSG43

Skier
Nordica Enforcer 100s might be a good option in 177 or 185. I ski the 185s and I'm ~5'11" and 194 lbs.

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
The 177 Monster 88 would be great for what you’re describing, your body type, and your background. I don’t think the FX is quite what you’re looking for (at least not the 2nd gen you are talking about), but the Fischer Pro Mtn 95Ti is: very strong carving chops, and capable off piste.

I would recommend it (178 for a bit more maneuverability, 186 if you want to ski the mountain like you’re angry with it) over the Monster 88. It’s a sleeper, but it’s the real deal for off piste that can lay high angle trenches.

TS
J

Juice

Skier
Thanks for all the feedback. Any opinions on the Fischer Ranger 90 Ti or the Elan Ripstick 96? My understanding of both of those skis is that they are very light and playful and don't quite hold up at high speeds.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Fischer PM 86 & 95 are both great skis. If I’m owning just 1 pair of all mountain skis though, its the PM 86. It just does everything pretty well imo.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
I've had mixed results buying demo skis, half the time I'm delighted, the other half I end up with a whipped POS. You are better off buying 2-3 year old new old stock of an underrated ski than buying a used up award winner.

Also, a 184 is way too long if you want it to be any fun. I'm 180lbs and 6' and the 177 is perfect.

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
The Ripstick 96 has a definite speed limit. The Ripstick 96 Black, on the other hand, is what they should have made from the get go; it has the same stellar shape of the Ripstick, with the strength it was lacking.

TS
J

Juice

Skier
The Ripstick 96 has a definite speed limit. The Ripstick 96 Black, on the other hand, is what they should have made from the get go; it has the same stellar shape of the Ripstick, with the strength it was lacking.
Yeah that's what I figured about the Ripstick. If I had the money I would love to get a pair of black version, but that's just out of my price range. Another ski that I'm starting to give serious thought is the Blizzard Brahma. I want to avoid buying demo skis because I have never been a fan of the bindings and as mentioned, they are typically treated with no care by renters. It is amazing what some people are able to do the top sheets of skis.

TS
J

Juice

Skier
No idea where you ski. Which certainly makes a difference.

I am in New England. Ski NH + VT. Brahmas are excellent choice here.
I'm in Colorado skiing at Eldora, Copper, Vail, etc.

TS
J

Juice

Skier
Recently, a Head rep offered to sell me his 189cm kore 99 with bindings (skied one day at Alta) for a great deal. I'm worried that might be a little long. Any thoughts on the kore 99 as an all mountain ski that will be used on moguls, groomers, and crud? I'm not too worried about deep snow performance or tight tree runs.