• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

All Mountain Ski for Intermediate Skier - Line Supernatural?

timhardaway100

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi! I'm an intermediate skier - started skiing a few years ago and have done 10-15 days a year each year since -- all on a pair of used Line mastermind skis (85mm waist) that I got from the ski shop. I ski mostly in California (Tahoe) and sometimes Utah and Colorado. I'd like to upgrade to something a little wider for powder and off trail. I was eyeing the Line Supernatural 100's (172). I'm 5'10'', 160lbs.

Does that make sense as a ski given my ski ability and size? The reviews on the internet are mostly positive, but I'm worried the skis might be too stiff/advanced for me. I'm not a particularly "hard charging" skier, I mostly love skiing off trails through the trees, and do a fair number of groomers as well, but I don't push too hard or ski that fast compared to expert skiers. I'm hoping to get skis that I can grow into as I improve, but not be too difficult that they won't be fun to ski in now.

Does this seem like a reasonable choice? If not, what would be better? Budget is 500-600 w/ bindings. Thanks for your help!

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In terms of Line's lineup, it's jumping from one of the softest skis they've made in past years to one of their stiffest. It doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad call, especially being a decent bit shorter than your height.

How do you like the flex of the Masterminds and how quick/easy they are to turn? If you enjoy them a lot, something with that same playful, park inspired design like the Armada ARV 96 or Soul Rider 97 would be wider & more advanced without feeling radically different. Their Sick Day line would be another option if you wanted your new skis to be stiffer & more traditional, but were worried about the Supernaturals being too aggressive.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
From the Supernatural line, I like the 92 for you...as a one ski quiver for someone your size..92 is a great option for Tahoe. This year was an anomoly year with the amount of snow but the usual year will be more bluebird and groomers than off piste and when there is good windbuff, 92 is plenty. There are a lot of good 88-95mm that will be on sale right now that woudl work for you..and be a bit better than the 100...and should fit into your budget.

TS
T

timhardaway100

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Oh thank you both so much

@Analisa I was checking out skis like the ones you linked.

Came up with this list

DPS Cassiar Foundation 95
Salomon QST99
Atomic Vantage 97 C
Soul rider 7
Armada arv 96

Would these all be a step more forgiving than the supernaturals? I think most of them are in the demo shop near me so I’ll check em out if so

Sponsor

Staff online