• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Darryl

Booting up
Skier
Good Day,

This past year I have been trying a lot of different skis to find that unicorn ski that will do everything perfectly, and like unicorns I have not found one. I am debating on what to compromise, or if there are a few more to try. If anyone has recommendations for skis I may have missed, I would love to hear them.

Stats - 45 years old, advanced skier, 5'8, 175lbs. Ski aggressively on groomers, and love all turns shapes, but spend 40-50% of my vacation trips in trees and bumps, where I tend to be more conservative. Usually do a week out west in interior BC or the rockies, and a week in the East at places like Sutton, Jay Peak, Sugarbush, MRG. Home base is Ontario, but I have carving skis for local hills. Looking for a responsive ski, but not one that is a tonne of work all day.

Thoughts on skis I have demo'd:

Elan Ripstick 96 (181) - loved this on the groomers as it was fast and skied a variety of turn shapes, however found it cumbersome and not very responsive in the bumps and trees. Tried the 86's as well, but did not enjoy them as much.

Rossi Experience 88's (180) - did all things ok, but did not find it very inspiring in any area.

K2 Mindbenders (177) - This is a very popular ski in the reviews I have read on here, and I enjoyed it, but I felt like they were a bit too much work at the end of the day.

Nordica Enforcers (177) - Like the Mondbenders I felt like they were a bit too much work at the end of the day (and I did like the Mindbenders better).

Nordica Navigators (179) - I tried both the 85 and 90. Loved them in the trees and bumps, performed well on the groomers, but did not put as big of a smile on my face as the Ripsticks.

I am thinking about buying the Navigator 90's, but wondering if there is anything else to try that would be between the Ripstick 96 and Navigator. I was thinking Blizzard Rustler 9's and have had k2 Pinnacale 88's suggested to me. Any thoughts on these two skis, or if there is something else I should try?

Cheers,

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
What model Mindbenders and Enforcer did you try?
Keep in mind demo bindings are much heavier than standard bindings so any ski will be less tiring with and more fun(especially the bumps) with non demo bindings.

The Mindbender 90Ti in the 177cm would be a great choice I think. Lighter and easier to manange than the 177cm Enforcer 93 but enough weight and backbone to handle speed and crud.

I’m 6’2”/175 and have the Rustler 9 in the 180cm and that would be a great ski for your needs too. Lighter than the Mindbender 90Ti and much lighter than the Enforcer 93 but still very capable. Like a Ripstick 96 with more backbone.
Solid underfoot and more playful tip/tail and loves trees and bumps. It’s my usual daily driver in Ontario as it’s fun below 40mph but doesn’t mind going highway speeds too. Lol
Just spent a week in Lake Louise/Sunshine and these were great there on groomers and with a bit of overnight snow.

Think the Mindbender 90Ti 177cm or Rustler 9 180cm would be my favs in this width for your needs and definitely deserve a demo.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Jilly post about the non X Vantange reminded me for you to also try the Blizzard Bushwacker in 180cm too. Brahma might be a little too much work but the Bushwacker is lots of fun in bumps and trees like the Rustler 9. Rustler 9 would be better with snow and out West.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
The ski essentials review I just saw on the Blizzard Brahma 82 has piqued my interest....sounds like it could fit in the envelope your looking to stuff.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
The ski essentials review I just saw on the Blizzard Brahma 82 has piqued my interest....sounds like it could fit in the envelope your looking to stuff.

Yes it does look interesting. I still need to try the Rustler 11 and now the Brahma 82.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Brahma 82 will be a stiffer, narrower 88 so perfect for East Coast ripping but not as versatile for West Coast or trees like the Brahma 88 or especially a Rustler 9. More demanding too.

Rustler 9 and Rustler 11 are fantastic skis. Rustler 11 and Brahma 82 would make a nice 2 ski quiver for an “East Coast with trips out West” skier.

cmackvt

Putting on skis
Skier
Blossom White Out (176) is a quick turning, very stable ski. Probably can't find it to demo but it is a very nice ski for the East. Need to ski it in deep powder (>12") before I can call it the perfect one ski quiver. First ski I've been able to move the binding mount point on, and when I moved it 1/2" forward of recommended mount point I was really surprised. Ski came alive, quicker turning, more stable and a lot of fun until then it was impressive but not perfect. Other skis I spend time on are Bonafide, Z-90 and Solomon Q-105. White Out has become my every day ski for most east coast conditions. Taking it to Mammoth next week to see how it handles west coast conditions.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
I demo’d the Brahma 82 this weekend and really liked it. Stable, damp, quick edge to edge and fast. Great carver and good for playing on the edges. I have the Bonafide (1st model with carbon) so this ski felt somewhat familiar to me. I am looking for the small end of my quiver and this may fit the bill. Also interested in the Monster 83. If you have not tried the Monster 88 - you should - fantastic ski as well.

TS
Darryl

Darryl

Booting up
Skier
What model Mindbenders and Enforcer did you try?

I demo'd the Mindbender 90Ti in 177. It did grow on me in the afternoon, but it took some getting used to. Felt like I always needed to be really forward on the ski.

Going to have to get my hands on a Rustler 9. The shop I was at had already rented them. Actually skied the Brahama 88 last year and loved it on the groomers and light powder, but did not get into bumps and trees and with it.

TS
Darryl

Darryl

Booting up
Skier
Blossom White Out (176) is a quick turning, very stable ski.

I will have to look these up, I have not heard of them before, but they sound like fun. Let me know how they perform at Mammoth, and enjoy your time there.

TS
Darryl

Darryl

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for all the replies. Brahama 82's, Bushwackers and a look at Vantages. Hopefully can find some of these when I head to Tremblant in a few weeks if I cannot find them in Ontario, which may be hard.

Cheers,

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Atomic is not a problem at Tremblant. Atomic store on the corner at the top of the Cabriolet. Let me know when you'll be up!! Since I'll be heading into the Magasin de Place for Jenny on the weekend, I'll see what else they might have.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Head Kore 93?
Nordica Enforcer 88? (Just came out in the past two weeks.)

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you can find a demo, give the Stockli Stormrider 88 in 177 a try.(yes, I'm a convert to the Stockli cult). Love 'em at home in Upstate NY and they've been a blast in all conditions so far at Big Sky and Jackson Hole.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I demo'd the Mindbender 90Ti in 177. It did grow on me in the afternoon, but it took some getting used to. Felt like I always needed to be really forward on the ski.

Going to have to get my hands on a Rustler 9. The shop I was at had already rented them. Actually skied the Brahama 88 last year and loved it on the groomers and light powder, but did not get into bumps and trees and with it.

If you liked the Brahma 88, the Rustler 9 is a wider, slightly more playful version of that that has a more forward mount so it’s more forgiving of stance. Good sign you’d like the Rustler 9 then.

Enforcer 88 is stiffer and less forgiving than the Enforcer 93 so not sure if you’d like that so a demo might be advised.

The Mindbender 90Ti and 99Ti have a very traditional mounts with the 108Ti is a bit more forward and like many skis, favour a forward stance. Freestyle K2 type skis have lots of mounting options depending on usage and kinda surprised they didn’t do that on the Mindbender series too. Regardless, all the team riders are running the mounts very forward of rec on the Mindbenders to make them more playful. Moving them a cm or two forward would cure that stance issue you found with the 90Ti and make them more fun. Bet you’d like them more with a lighter, non demo binding pushed forward a bit.

As far a demoing, it might be hard in Ontario but Squire John’s and Corbetts usually set up demo days but think they might be done doing them for the year so maybe call both to see. As far as purchasing in Ontario, Corbetts will have the lowest prices in North America soon when their legendary Spring sales hit. Not as big discounts on the 2020 skis like the Mindbenders or Enforcer 88 though.

Pauldotcom

Booting up
Skier
I would agree with the Rustler 9 suggestion but caution on size. I am surprised one of the skiers above liked the 180cm @ 6'2.

I see you are 5'8 @175 - I do think the R9 @ 180 would be you're size; but I wouldn't go any shorter.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I would agree with the Rustler 9 suggestion but caution on size. I am surprised one of the skiers above liked the 180cm @ 6'2.

I see you are 5'8 @175 - I do think the R9 @ 180 would be you're size; but I wouldn't go any shorter.

I’d be on the 185cm Rustler 9 If it existed as the 188cm version I find too long for the terrain park /tight glade runs so I’m running the 180cm. I’m the same 175lbs which is the more important stat and would agree the 180cm is the right size for the OP. In the Rustler 10 or 11, I’m on the 188cm or 191cm with the mount plus 2cm and it’s perfect. The Rustler 10 or 11 ski much shorter as they have more rocker and softer flex.

Sponsor

Staff online